• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi.

just wanted to hear what people's experiences are regarding playing with only two heroes. I ask because in another thread I learned about this possibility but I'm courious about if it's to be prefered over lowering your threat by other means. All this is of cause regarding the secrecy mechanic. And does anyone know if Nate has clearifyed that you can use less than 3 heroes? I know the rules only state max 3 heroes and mentions nothing about the minimum but rules has been interpreted "wrong" before. Don't really wanna experiment with something new if it's "illigal" you know :)

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

i replied in the other, but i shall do here also

the idea of secrecy is really to use less heros- so it is indeed allowed, and i say expected. glorfindel for example is a good secrecy hero, as is frodo and elanor and all those 7s.

as for the experience i have not tried it- secrecy is not developed for it to be all that useful in a solo game yet, there arent that many cards and some of them arent that good.

some are though, and i expect secrecy will become more useful as we go on

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I just played a single-hero deck against Passage through Mirkwood. I wanted too try something new and it was really fun to design a deck around Spirit-Glorfindel and the win/loss ratio is about 50%. I forgot how hard PtM really was…

#4 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

This is still a young game, with many ideas that haven't been fully developed (Secrecy, traits like Noble or Warrior…). Maybe we will find in "Heirs of Numenor" adventures where Secrecy decks may fit.

I tried building two Heroes decks, but without good results. You lose a lot of speed (resourcess) and options to build decks (need to use cheaper cards and practically limited to two spheres). That isn't a good trade just for some turns avoiding engaging Enemies.

#5 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

I have run a Brand/Legolas deck in 2 player - keeping threat low so that enemies only engage the other player and the ranged keyword allows you to fight them, I believe I ran it with Radagast and the eagles, though I didn't have the resourceful card at the time, If I built it again I'd probably go with non-eagle reds.

It looks like the 2nd pack in the new cycle would help it a lot to be good actually.

I quite like the idea of Glorfindel and Frodo in a mono-blue deck for solo as well tbh. As long as you get light of valanor early and have good threat reduction built in. (I'd like it even more if I could work out how to use Asfaloth in it).

#6 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Rapier said:

(I'd like it even more if I could work out how to use Asfaloth in it).

Song of (can't remember) helps a lot for getting asfaloth into play

#7 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

I'm not sure including the Song of… Lore. Just for Asfaloth is sound strategy.

It means having 3 unique cards you can't use unless you first get 1 of the 3 song cards. You could add more lore (and rely even more on getting the songs).

I want some kind of "put mount into play" card - but with only the 1 in the game I doubt we'll see it soon.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Rapier said:

I want some kind of "put mount into play" card - but with only the 1 in the game I doubt we'll see it soon.

this is made for rohan…..an idea:

edoras stables

threat 1

action. when you travel to edoras stables, search your hand for 1 mount card and put it into play

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS