Extended actions in Starship Combat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PantsCommander

PantsCommander

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Maybe I'm blind, but is there anything stopping the same action being done multiple times in a single Strategic Turn, as long as it is done by different people? I can't seem to find any rules that say you can't.

#2 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

PantsCommander said:

Maybe I'm blind, but is there anything stopping the same action being done multiple times in a single Strategic Turn, as long as it is done by different people? I can't seem to find any rules that say you can't.

A simple house rule to prevent absurdity is 1 Manoeuvre Action, 1 Shooting Action, and a number of additional actions equaling the tens place of the Crew Rating.  So, for example a Veteran (50) crew can perform 1 Manoeuvre, 1 Shooting, and 5 additional actions per turn. this is regardless of how many characters perform the actions since all of them have to go through the crew.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#3 PantsCommander

PantsCommander

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

HappyDaze said:

A simple house rule to prevent absurdity is 1 Manoeuvre Action, 1 Shooting Action, and a number of additional actions equaling the tens place of the Crew Rating.  So, for example a Veteran (50) crew can perform 1 Manoeuvre, 1 Shooting, and 5 additional actions per turn. this is regardless of how many characters perform the actions since all of them have to go through the crew.

I actually thought that was the rule. Every player gets an action, and the crew gets the actions allowed by Crew Rating, as long as there is a Manoeuvre action. What I'm asking is is there anything preventing multiple people doing Lock On, Flank Speed, etc. I mean some of them are pointless doing more than once, but multiple Flank Speeds or Emergency Repairs could be useful. I was just curious if it was similar to Combat where a player can only do a particualr action once per turn (the "player" in this case being the ship in aggregate).

#4 PantsCommander

PantsCommander

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Upon rereading what you are saying, I don't think the players have to go through the crew to do everything. Otherwise what's the point of a Voidmaster who's better at steering the ship than the crew?

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

PantsCommander said:

Upon rereading what you are saying, I don't think the players have to go through the crew to do everything. Otherwise what's the point of a Voidmaster who's better at steering the ship than the crew?

The voidmaster gets to use his/her higher skill rating and appropriate Talents/Traits (like Mastery of Space) to resolve the action, but actions taken by him (more appropriately - actions directed by him) still have to go through the crew (one man does not manoeuvre a 5km starship with his own hands or fire a battery of dozens of gus on his own) and are thus limited in number of actions per turn by the crew rating.  

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 PantsCommander

PantsCommander

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

I see what you are saying. In fact it has inspired me to come up with a Ship Upgrade(or possibly a Bridge):

Improved Command Structure:

A vastly increased network of internal vox, cogitator relays and specialized holo displays increases the command's ability to coordinate actions on board a ship, especially in combat situations.

Availabilty: Rare

Common craftsmenship allows one additional Extended Action per Strategic turn than the crew rating normally allows. Good Craftsmanship adds one action and a +5 bonus on all tests done for Extended Actions. Best Craftsman ship allows 2 extra actions and the +5 bonus.

Anyway, still curious about the multiple identical actions question.

#7 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

We play with non stacking extended actions, so you can't stack up bonuses to skill rolls by combining multiple players. We haven't really discussed this though, and I can't find it anywhere in the rule book, so I am not sure how it got to this.

Also notice the errata has a little on movement vs shooting action. But it still doesn't answer your question.

#8 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

I don't know where I've come up with this, but with my group I stated that it somewhat relates to how many components they have on the ship and the crew rating.  For example:  A Frigate has 1 Augur, 1 Engine, and 2 Weapon components.  So, one person can steer the vessel one time in 30 minutes, another person can utilize the Auger Array how he/she sees fit one time per Space Combat Turn (30mins), and either one person can shoot both weapon components, or two people can shoot one each.  The crew also gets to conduct said actions equal to their crew rating.  Only one person can conduct one action (or similar actions) per turn using their skills, but the crew can conduct multiple actions per turn depending on their rating and it can be same action too, unless they are using a component on the ship.  Some exceptions may apply  (like the Fire Exstinguisher System having to put out multiple fires in several components).

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#9 Objulen

Objulen

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

By default, each PC can take an action, and then the crew can take an action.  Beyond that, there is some leeway where the crew can take actions, but unless you invest in a well-trained crew, their rolls are generally going to be less than the PCs. Theoretically, the crew are manning everything, so every component can take an action even if there aren't enough PCs to guide them.

As to whether or not a GM should limit actions, there shouldn't normally be enough components to become an issue, but if the PCs have invested in having 5 guns and a crack crew in their ship, then taking that way may not be fair, even if they are a monster in combat (generally, they gave something up to be that powerful). 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS