38 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

NEW PACK….thoughts? i love the art for against the shadow

it would be great if the previews showed more of the cards- i mean i get covering them up leaves us guessing etc. but the encounter cards show absolutely nothing apart from a few stats

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

I really like the two card previews, it will surely allow mono-Tactics decks to beat some of the easiest quests; however, these mono decks still seem to favour cooperative play (which is not a bad thing per se).

I was expecting to see preview of HoN. I'd like to know when that's coming out, I mean more accurately than Q4. Hopefully we can expect it in November?

All in all, I am super-excited about the new cycle, HoN & AtS. The premise is very high.

#3 Morbid666

Morbid666

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I am VERY happy. We play in a group of 4 of us and always have. We also always use Mono-sphere decks…this is going to be fun.

#4 Bryon

Bryon

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Meh.  The art is great, and I'm happy for the players who use mono-sphere decks, but around here we always use mono-theme decks, which are always multi-sphere.

I doubt I'll ever use the spoiled cards.  Maybe after another year, if there gets to be 3 heroes of the same sphere in the same theme.  But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), so I don't know if there will be enough different heroes to make this possible/worthwhile.

Still, I'm very happy that we got an article this week.  :) 

#5 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Note that these cards work with less than 3 heros. They may help building low-threat decks.

#6 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Bryon said:

Meh.  The art is great, and I'm happy for the players who use mono-sphere decks, but around here we always use mono-theme decks, which are always multi-sphere.

I doubt I'll ever use the spoiled cards.  Maybe after another year, if there gets to be 3 heroes of the same sphere in the same theme.  But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), so I don't know if there will be enough different heroes to make this possible/worthwhile.

Still, I'm very happy that we got an article this week.  :) 

I see your concern. I am an optimist though, we are on some 28 heroes now but I see the game going well over 100 (not counting the doubles, or possible trebles). Then again, it will take a while.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

i also hope (expect?) this game to have enough heros for this to be useful…..eventually

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#8 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

I dont see the revealed player cards as particularly useful; even if i was running a mono sphere deck i'd have a hard time justifying the card space for these 2 cost events that only help you on one turn for a phase of the game that happens every turn.  The player cards avaliable now are already so varied and useful its presently quite difficult keeping the deck at 50 cards…these just arent going to make it in for me

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#9 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Very very good. I love the new cycle idea and art is also amazing. I was not so happy with this hobbit boxes…… Now we comeback to real Lord of the rings thinks…… Cannot wait for HON and Against the shadow!

Wizard is never late.......

#10 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Of the two, I find Trained for War having much higher value (at the moment). As I said above, I still don't think I can win many quests with a mono-Tactics solo deck , and this card can hardly change that - although one can think of recycling it with Háma. However, in coop this can become a very powerful questing tool. I can imagine an Eagle deck becoming a questing machine - for a short run. And Vassal of the Windlord isn't going to be discarded (unless otherwise) after questing.

#11 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

im loving the art too. all of the stuff thats been released for the next cycle so far looks really good. it makes a nice change of setting after being in moria for a load of quests.

#12 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I find the newly spoilered cards awsome. They give another very amusing way of approaching this amazing game. I Think monosphere will be tons of fun to play due to the possibility to rush through a quest way faster than with bi or tri-sphere decks because one can focus all his resources on one sphere only. At the beginning they will not be as competitive as other decks (but I'm sure that will change when we get a few more cards) but certainly interesting and fun to play. That's my opinion.  Really looking forward to getting all the new packs and expansions !

#13 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Bryon said:

But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), 

Don't discount Beorn though!  

As for the cards, I think it's a cool idea.  These wouldn't work with Songs, right?  I suppose the text "printed XX icon" means that it must be on the card already, not added via other card effects.

#14 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

DevastazioneH88 said:

another very amusing way of approaching this amazing game.

And whoa-- crazy alliteration goin' on up in there.

#15 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

XD I have to admit I didn't do it on purpose though.

#16 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

It's really important to note the word "printed" on those two cards. That means that the resource icon has to be on the card and not through a card effect like a song.

#17 Shiv@n

Shiv@n

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

And maybe we will get the first bisphere heroes ?

#18 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

karagh said:

Note that these cards work with less than 3 heros. They may help building low-threat decks.

Sadly no. As the cards state that the hero must have a "printed" resource icon you it MUST be a mono sphere deck. Not a bad thin as this opens up to other strategies.

#19 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

mr.thomasschmidt said:

karagh said:

Sadly no. As the cards state that the hero must have a "printed" resource icon you it MUST be a mono sphere deck. Not a bad thin as this opens up to other strategies.

No, karagh meant they would work in a two-hero mono-sphere deck. The cards say "all" your heroes, not "all three," so it opens but the possibility for a low-threat deck like karagh said.

#20 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ah okay. My bad. I'm still playing through the first cycle so didn't know of any rules about only using 2 heroes. How does that work? And from what expansion did we get that option?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS