The value of souls…

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arbitrator

Arbitrator

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

After completing Broken Chains, Queen Scarna managed to cobble together about seventy or so (roughly) Exiles that could then be brought down to Q'Sal and traded to get some equipment, possibly repairs, that sort of thing. I took into account the size of the vessel, what crew/prisoners remained and how many had been left to rot/exiled down there.

But what I'm wondering is how much each soul would be worth? In the end I had Grath grant them full repairs of their ship for fifty souls, but I get the feeling they came off a little easy. At the same time I sort of wrote myself into a bit of a corner since without those repairs they weren't getting off Q'Sal any time soon (though I could have led into the Tome of Fate adventure I suppose).

What would you estimate a single soul was worth? A box full of lasguns? What about Legion weaponry like a Bolter, or a Chainaxe? Things like that, a rough estimation of what you might be able to get per numbers. Thanks lads.

#2 Maldaron

Maldaron

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'd probably over complicate it and have different values for different souls. Flip acquisition tables around and refer to those to see how much a soul might be worth, and what you can get with it as a guideline, then apply the better judgement of the GM to sort out the details. A single soul of a devout follower of the Emperor might well be worth more than few dozen of those who dwell the lowest levels and sewers of hive cities, depending on who/what you're offering them to and how desperate/eager it is to get them.

#3 Ecthelias

Ecthelias

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh I'd definetly say that souls have different value depending on their strength. So the faded soul of a imperial drone citizen would be like pocket change, where as the soul of an Astartes would be like a bar of solid gold. It's grossly simple I know, but this would of course be influenced by other factors depending on who you're dealing with, what planet you're on, what you're buying and such.

So, in my game, if my players were on Q'Sal and wanted to get a semi-wreck of a transport voidship repaired, I would charge them a lot more than a mere 50 souls. I think you should have gone with something like sixty-thousand or something equally 40k'ish. This is a gigantic space ship after all.

I think you sorta screwed yourself over a bit. Messed up the economy a bit when it comes to souls. Q'Sal is afterall a society that consumes silly amounts of souls on a daily basis. I think maybe they'd charge their customers a bit more for their unique services. Q'Sal supposedly produces some of the finest warp/sorcery tech in the Vortex.

All this said it's up to you, mate. Go with what feels right to you and your players. Maybe ask them what they think souls are worth? Could be that they have some great ideas.

#4 Arbitrator

Arbitrator

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

I had tried to stress that the Carrion (weak, malnourished, vermin) wouldn't be worth much in terms of souls, but my whole was adamant that "a soul is a soul".

Oh well, thanks for the advice chaps.

#5 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

This is what I use for the value of souls:

Soul Type                 Base Value

Basic                           5

Pure                           +2 for no corruption

Powerful                    +10 (bosses and such)

Eldar                           25 (they are tasty)

lesser minion            1

minion                         2

greater minion           3

Another players          5 for every 1000 xp spent after creation

availability                         soul value (anything less than rare uses the rare value as asking them to waste their time on mundane things is insulting)

rare                                          (5)^1

very rare                                  (5)^3

extremely rare                        (5)^5

near unique                           (5)^7

unique                                    (5)^9

Amount

single                                      (5)^1

minor                                      (5)^2

significant                              (5)^4

vast                                         (5)^6

legion                                     (5)^8

impossible                            (5)^10

Craftsmanship (Q'Sal does not have poor quality things)

common                                5)^1

good                                       (5)^10

best                                        (5)^25

As per the normal acquisition chart, you add the exponents together to get the final modifier before doing the multiplication. You could further modify this by which city is doing the service or some such if you wanted, but this is what I use. And yes, I do use a calculator. I sometimes modify the type of souls desired by changing the (5) to a different value.

#6 Dramacydle

Dramacydle

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

In response to this, one could effectively attribute collecting souls to infamy boons or xp gains as the souls are collected. Mechanically this maybe sound but as far as in game awarding  maybe something simple as growth in power, corruption or mutation could become evident.

#7 K0balt

K0balt

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Uh… The value of a single best-craftsmanship item ranges in the 1017 souls, if using your method. Given a million worlds with an average population of 100 billions (which is very high, even for the Imperium), we can estimate the total amount of souls in the Imperium at… 1017. So I guess this is a bit overblown, unless there is something I don't get.

#8 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

okay yeah I hadn't looked to closely at that number. The Idea was you would need a world full of souls. I'm going to drop it down to 5 for good, and 10 for best

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS