Photo

Can an observer unit call two artillery strikes in a single activation?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

Let's say that I have a Beobachter unit and two Lothars in my army.

I activate the Beobachter.  He has line of sight on a BBQ Squad unit.  He uses his Artillery Strike skill to activate the first Lothar.

The Lothar attacks the BBQ Squad unit and eliminates it.

The Beobachter also has LOS on a Tank Buster unit. 

Can the Beobachter use his second action to call an artillery strike from the second Lothar against the Tank Busters?

In reference, I cite page 7 of the Revised Core Rulebook which says that "the only combination of actions that a player cannot perform is ATTACK + ATTACK".  However, page 15 of that same rulebook says this when talking about indirect shots "It [the observer] can perform two actions as normal (move, attack, etc.).  For one action, the unit can order an artillery strike".

It's not clear to me if the "for one action" bit in the second quote means that "the observer can only use the artillery strike skill for one of his actions" or just "using the artillery strike skill consumes one of the observer's actions".

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

I immediately thought no, due to the Command Squad and defintely not with the original rules, but the wording has changed for the Artillery Strike rule in the Revised Rules and it now does look like one observer can direct 2 artillery strikes.  As you say, the rules do not disalow SKILL + SKILL activations.

#3 ??!

??!

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

I have to admit I also thought it wouldn't work, quoting the sentence "For one action, the unit can order an artillery strike." as proof. But as Kriegschatten pointed out, that sentence could also be interpreted differently. Maybe it's a question worth sending to FFG?

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

The limit of one Skill use per turn only applies to Command Skills and single-use Skills. Therefore an Observer squad can call two Artillery Strikes from two different artilley units with its two Actions.

#5 Miah999

Miah999

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I was going to say yes, because I'm pretty sure last year's second place army list at the FFG tournament included four Beobatchers, and 2 Loths and the dude was dropping like six artillery strikes per turn. But I may be remembering worng.

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=2672

#6 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

If he did he was cheating, a unit may be able to call 2 strikes but artillery units can't shoot twice., got to reload for a start.

#7 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, 2 Beobachter and 4 Lothars is ok for four attacks per turn, but the other way around you'd still only be able to attack twice.

#8 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I sent this question off to the official rules experts.  Let's see what they come back with.

#9 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

Received my response from FFG today!  (That was fast!)

Two artillery strikes from one observer (and two different artillery units) is legal:

"The Artillery Strike skill only consumes a single action. It is possible for an observer to call in two artillery strikes during a single activation. This will use up both of the observer unit's actions for the round. In reference to your example, the Beobachter could use his second action to call an Artillery Strike from the second Lothar against the Tank Busters."

#10 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Great, thanks.  Just remember that this only goes for the Observer squads. Command Squads are still limited to a single Skill use per round.

#11 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

LoL, I got the opposite responce about a year ago…

#12 ??!

??!

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

That's quite strange. Were you given any reason or did you just get a: "No, it doesn't work?"

#13 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

After you call the artillery strike the other unit activates which ends the observer activation.

#14 fhaugh

fhaugh

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

By that reasoning they couldn't move after calling in a strike.

#15 Kriegschatten

Kriegschatten

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I think page 15 of the Revised Core Rulebook makes it pretty clear that using the artillery strike skill does not end the observer's turn:

"After completing the indirect shot, the artillery unit has used its activation for this round.  The indirect shot automatically uses both of that unit’s actions.

If the observer’s first action was ordering the indirect shot, it can continue with its second action."

#16 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I asked Before the revised edition came out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS