Firbbidden alchemy expaniosn

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lighteens

Lighteens

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

So yesterday we were playing Mansions of madness for the second time. We were playing "Lost in Time and Space" scenario and i have to say i it was a really good written scenbario. Especially the time travel and going through clues in the past present and future. But i am a little bit worried that after playing all three scenarious from the expansion i would go playing the base game scenarious, since they dont have side effect cards, or alchemy puzzles, crawled hands, etc. There is a lot that the new epansions brings to the game. 

So are the rest of the scenarious in the bacse game also ok? I only played inner sanctum and i it was a ok scenario, but i played it more than one year ago.

What about the rest of scenarious that can be purchased via print on demant, anyone especially good?

So this time we really played thematically. This means that we read every flavour text in the game including the stroies on the back of ach investigator, we were really in the mood. There was also ambiental music in the background (voices, door closing, haunted house, spooky music etc.) so it was amazing. Next time i am planing to light some candels and dimnish the lights a little bit to make even better experience. What else do you do for better experiences.Well also we played at night and our gameplay was 6 hours, s till cannot believe it and not even the minute of a gem was not boring.

I am also looking forward to nex expansion since there are some nice scenariosu (the one where you talk to allies and you have to decide which one is cultist and which one to kill - if you dont choose corectla you lose the game). And also the clues are not linear, meaning that you have to first find clue 4b and then clu 3b but i guess you investigate all over map.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

LiTaS is the best scenario from that expansion.

If anything, FA adds to the base games because it includes new investigators you play as, a couple new Mythos and Trauma cards, and new monster combat cards. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the base game scenarios.

Here is the general consensus on the base game levels (by number):

1. Good intro scenario. Not too long, not too much emphasis on (or against) combat.
  2. (The one you played) Good scenario, but a bit combat-heavy.
  3. Still a good scenario, except that under the right conditions, the keeper can win without much chance for the investigators to.
  4. Most hated scenario all-round. I like it because it tries to impose atmosphere more than confrontation.
  5. Mixed feelings: one objective is absurd, but the other two are fun. My two best games of MoM were using this scenario.

Here are the PoD expansions:

• Season of the Witch is OK. It's a bit imbalanced, but thematically rich and keeps to the Lovecraft story nicely.
  • Silver Tablet is the least enjoyed. It is a good scenario, but it has a lot of typos and the three objectives aren't that different.
  • Til Death Do We Part is regarded well.
  • House of Fears is regarded very well. Its story concept is novel, too.
  • Yellow Sign is highly regarded to be the best POD expansion, and I agree.

The Call of the Wild expansion is not yet out, but following the trend of the quality of MoM scenarios, this one will probably knock your socks off and be the best one yet.

Low lighting and creepy sounds is exactly the way I play. Can't recommend much more on this front!

#3 Lighteens

Lighteens

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. Can i ask you what do people tell about the other two scenarios in the expansion (without Lost in Time and Space)?

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I don't know what other people say about Reanimator. I thought it was fine.

I've read that people think Yellow Matter was a bit imbalanced.

#5 John T

John T

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

***SPOILERS*** My group played "Yellow matter" recently and thoroughly enjoyed it (4 investigators). It was a keeper win, but the players were not disappointed and felt they were in it the whole time. As keeper it was one of the few times I actively tried to kill investigators during the mid-game. The board is a cool mix of inside and outside tiles. The scenario we played was one of the race against time types. In retrospect I would consider the optional rule in the book for randomizing the reveal on the last event card. Although the scenario choice we used had the “test subject” element which in the end did little victory wise the investigators did not know that until the end so it added lots of flavor for them (not to mention the ensuing panic when they lost two investigators and the test subject in one shot). I would recommend making sure the investigators understand the implications of the keeper action cards (especially the mutation related ones).

We have had good experiences with SOTW, Til Death, and House of Fears.

Tibs – which Silver Tablet scenario is considered the good one? I have wanted to play it (theme seems cool) but all the reviews seem to pan it for the most part - thanks

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Just played my second game of Silver Tablet last night. The keeper won, but it was close. Most of the house went un-investigated, however.

The objectives look different in execution, but the scenario plays similarly every time. It's mostly the interest of the keeper to slow down the investigators so they don't find Clue 1.

I don't think it's worth avoiding. It's not like it's broken or anything. But note that there are seeding mistakes. I've just taken a thin marker to all the offending instances.

#7 Lighteens

Lighteens

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

So which objective is absurd in the Green eyed boy in Mansions of madness, 1A, 1B or 1C???

Today we will play MoM and keepers would like to know this information, so not to choose this one. Thx

#8 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

I believe the dud objective is 1B, but there is a really simple change to make it feasible:

Change the time numbers on each event deck: 1 token to trigger event I, and 6 tokens to trigger each of the other events.

In fact, I now do this for all three objectives so that the investigators never know which objective I've picked.

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Pfft, 1B is the only Objective worth playing in GEB, play it with that and never bother with that scenario again.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS