Photo

Death Star Construction - Or my new board.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Decided to make a Death Star themed board for my games and as such got the pieces together I would need.

Firstly the board itself 1 6ft length of hardboard cut in store for free into 2 x 3ft x 1.5ft and 2 x 3ft x 6"

Next up the surface for this I used http://www.rpgnow.co...Base-Trench-Run printed out onto A4 Sticker Paper

Oh and a raiding of the lab in which I work combined with a quiet night shift got me 8 turbolaser turrets 8 power nodes and an exhaust vent.

Oh and a picture for scale (I know they aint perfect but my stubby fingers are useless at papercraft/plasticard)

Tomorrow I will hopefully get time to trim all the stickers and start construction.

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Made mine yesterday too but used matt photo paper instead and double-sided tape.  Did you run out of black ink half way through?

#3 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Major Mishap said:

Made mine yesterday too but used matt photo paper instead and double-sided tape.  Did you run out of black ink half way through?

Actually ran out of patience with old printer which managed to print out 6-7 sheets of the darker version before giving up the ghost and prompting a swift trip to Tesco for a new printer which I used to do the rest. The plan is to use the darker version of the terrain to make the trench sections.

#4 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

That's looking pretty slick! Make sure you post pics of the final products. That is, if you're not too busy playing games on it!

#5 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

yeah,
The Strange Dude said:

… Next up the surface for this I used http://www.rpgnow.com/product/106202/Warscapes%3A-Star-Base-Trench-Run printed out onto A4 Sticker Paper

…Tomorrow I will hopefully get time to trim all the stickers and start construction.

A4 stickers very smart I used the same PDF for my board but used paste to stick it down and warped the hard board, it took me two days to get the boards straightened out.

Weirdly I ended up with varying coloured print outs too! I think the printer I used was also playing up.
I pasted them all down anyway and think it looks cool and adds to the variation, although your variation looks alot lighter.

I have photos of mine in my blog www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/30/479387.page#4865788 

I make fighter wrecks instead of using the asteroids tokens.
Power nodes .. I like the idea for missions!

Panic…

#6 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Panic said:

A4 stickers very smart I used the same PDF for my board but used paste to stick it down and warped the hard board, it took me two days to get the boards straightened out.

Weirdly I ended up with varying coloured print outs too! I think the printer I used was also playing up.
I pasted them all down anyway and think it looks cool and adds to the variation, although your variation looks alot lighter.

I have photos of mine in my blog www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/30/479387.page#4865788 

I make fighter wrecks instead of using the asteroids tokens.
Power nodes .. I like the idea for missions!

Panic…

Got to admit it was your board that put me onto the idea. I'm at work at the moment but the board is finished even put a layer of matt vinyl sticky back plastic over the top of it all to protect it, photos to follow when I get home.

#7 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

Looking pretty sweet for a DIY job.  Gotta see the finished product ASAP :)

#8 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Ok as promised pics!

Finished board

Finished board with trench in place

In use (well mock staged anyhow)

Now I've got to wait a week and a half till I get to get a game in on it.

#9 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

yeah,
Nicely done! have you played much yet? I've still only played two games.

I've taken your idea and bought sticky paper for the star field I plan to stick on the reverse of mine.

Panic…

#10 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yeah I've played prehaps 15 or so games really enjoying the system very simple but so much strategy and tactics, only played one 'Death Star mission' though http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=742936 .

#11 Melkor503

Melkor503

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for sharing!  I am really liking the all the different variations of Death Star boards to play on.  Looks like I will need to get some time, and resources, together and make my own.  Thanks to the players on these forums, I have lots of good ideas to work with.

#12 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Great work on this!  I really liked your sticky paper idea.  I also really like that you have 2 different options for the play map.  I'm curious how you run your missions on this?  Do you have a mission with the Power nodes?

#13 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

mrfroggies said:

Great work on this!  I really liked your sticky paper idea.  I also really like that you have 2 different options for the play map.  I'm curious how you run your missions on this?  Do you have a mission with the Power nodes?

My local group have had one go at the death star run (it's in the action reports) we used an altered version of dagobah dave's scenario (a few changes to movement orders, trench entry/exit, etc) it's a work in progress.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS