Idea for new league/campaign nights

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Ok, do I was thinking about ideas for weekly leagues. I wanted something different. Then I came up with and idea and wanted some opinions. So if u hate it tell me then tell me why.

It will be a ranking system, instead of using 4 ships with their pilots cards, u use 2-3 ships, low, ie rookie pilots/academy pilots depending on Rep or Imp. But u have one ship that's you. Like u pick a name for your pilot and u start out with one att and 2-3 hull, no shields. As you play more games in the league you get points where u can buy upgrades, more att, def, pilot skills. You get the points for ships u distroy, battles you play/win/lose.

I'm still in development so it's still rough, but I want your opinions on te basic idea. Is it good? Dumb, etc.

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#2 Warchitect

Warchitect

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I dunno. this, like most table top games, I don't think thrive well when you have upgrades not available for the weaker players. Most games (say like Golf) use a handicap system to even out veteran players with new players.

what your offering, in my opinion, is what killed World of Warcraft for me, ie. with the arena gear being given for the winners, they could then get even better gear, making weaker players only that much weaker, without access to the better gear there comes a point where you get stomped because you cant stop the smackdown from the stronger weaps. all that creates is a very have vs, have not social order. 

#3 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

When doing anything like this, I always break out the old Necromunda rules.  Necromunda can become unbalanced very quickly, but there are rewards for being defeated by a superior force.  In fact, it's not so much about winning as it is just staying alive.  I've been experimenting with a developing campaign, but to be honest, I'll probably abandon it with the knowledge that these sort of things usually fall apart in a few weeks.  Some players just can't get ahead, and it's not even necessarily a mater of skill after the first week and even in the beginning bad luck is bad luck.  So I tend to reward players more for participation than victory, and even that has to be limited.  My first Necromunda Campaign I won because I was able to play more games than the entire league combined.  I did win the vast majority, too, which didn't help much and by the end the Organizer made a rule that should have just read "Oh, yeah, BTW, your team is illegal because it's too cheesey…start over.'

That being said, I wish you well and hope you succeed.  If you don't try it, you'll never know.  My advice is just find a way to keep everyone moving forward with any points or upgrades, not just the winners. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Keep the squad building in line with the point system. Maybe provide bonus points  win or lose for players who play under the 100 point total. Taking a handicap provides 1 point to your rating if you lose. Taking a handicap provides 1 bonus point per 5 points under 100, no rounding. How are you scoring wins and losses?
As far as restrictions go,  I don't really like the idea of limiting what players have access to right out of the gate. Let people build what they want to build initially. Restrict 8 Tie swarm if you want. Or just ban Academy Pilot if you want. It's your campaign.  How about this for "restrictions" to create a feeling of continuity… if a unique pilot gets killed during a game, it gets replaced with the rookie version (outside of Academy Pilot) for the next game. Ships can be outfitted again. If the rookie ship survives, it gets promoted to the next rank, like.. rookie x-wing to red squadron x-wing. If the ship survives again, a unique pilot slot opens up. It's more to keep track of, but it could be neat. Limit it to one unique pilot kill, though, or else someone who loses may have to build a whole squad of scrubs. That also forces players to cycle through other pilots. I dunno, this is just a rough draft of an idea.

#5 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

There's been some discussion in another thread about rules for running squadrons of ships with gradual pilot upgrading.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS