Jump to content



Photo

Noob Questions


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

Hi I'm new to the game. Have only played 3 games thus far, but they have been awesome (even as I finds out after each game there have been some rules we have overseen).

 

However, my first questions is:

Can you use weapons when you try to close gates?

What happends if you encounter an location in Arkham and a gate opens up, but there is a elder sign marker on the space? Nothing happends or draw a new card instead?

 



#2 Thomas Cartwright

Thomas Cartwright

    Member

  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

No, you cannot use weapons to help close gates. Weapons add to Combat, which is a specialized kind of Fight check used when confronting monsters. Closing a gate is a general Fight or Lore check and weapon bonuses do not apply.

If you draw an Arkham encounter that says, "a gate appears" or "a gate and a monster appear," and you're at a sealed location, then nothing happens that turn. The seal prevents the gate and monster from appearing. That's one of the benefits of sealing instead of merely closing a gate.



#3 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks.

Another one:

When determing your score, how do you count your monster throphies? Each trophy counts as one, or do you count them by toughness points? 



#4 The Professor

The Professor

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

According to the rules, you receive one point for every three Monster Tokens.  I play a variant in which you receive one point for every five Points of Toughness.


The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

 

 


#5 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

Ok, we have been playing that you get one victorypoint per 3 toughness points. 

But I want to play it right as I like to post my results on Tibs statistics page :) 



#6 The Professor

The Professor

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

oh, I post on Tibs' page, as well…but he can't possibly adjust/account for the myriad variants people play.


The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

 

 


#7 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

While at it. I presume you dont count gate-trophies an monster-trophies you lost as a result of a GO:s special attack as VP?



#8 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Nidhögg said:

While at it. I presume you dont count gate-trophies an monster-trophies you lost as a result of a GO:s special attack as VP?

Nope, only the stuff remaining in your possession after winning the final battle


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#9 The Professor

The Professor

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

 the lovely lady has it right - only what`s in your possession at the end of the game.


The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

 

 


#10 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Good to know that guys.

Here's another concerning the Obsidian statue.

What exactly does cancel stamina/sanity loss from one source mean? If you fight a monster for an example and lose the first round fighting thus taking damage and making use of the statue, dont you lose any stamine in subsequent fight rounds either if you should lose?

Also, can you use Obsidian Statue agains an GOO? The card doesn't say that you can't, as with many other Uniqe items and spells you have to discard in final battle.



#11 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Obsidian statue is intended to be use to prevent a loss of Sanity / Stamina. Hence, if you're fighting a monster a lose a combat check, you can discard the statue to avoid losing the points. If you lose another round of combat, bad for you, the statue's already gone and you can't use it again. Same for AOs: you can avoid once to lose sanity / stamina during FB, and that's it. That's why you don't need to discard it at the beginning of the FB: there is no way you can win the battle because of it.


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#12 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Benefits (revised): Can you only use the upkeep actions listed on the cards to help other investigators and not yourself?

Psychic: I guess you don't have to be in the same space to trade the skillcard?

 

 



#13 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Also one question about the Patrolled Neighborhoods:

It says: "Whenever the terror level rises, remove all Patroll markers on the board. Once the people in a neighborhood are reminded of the greater supernatural threat that exists, they are no longer so quick to reject the investigators' assistance!"

But can the patroll markers return to game in later events, or are they gone for good at the time the terrortrack advances?



#14 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

    Member

  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Nidhögg said:

 

Also one question about the Patrolled Neighborhoods:

It says: "Whenever the terror level rises, remove all Patroll markers on the board. Once the people in a neighborhood are reminded of the greater supernatural threat that exists, they are no longer so quick to reject the investigators' assistance!"

But can the patroll markers return to game in later events, or are they gone for good at the time the terrortrack advances?

 

 

My understanding  is that any time a card indicates you've got to put a Patrol token on the board you do so. Then when the Terror Track increases, all current markers are removed from the board. Then the next time a card indicates a new Patrol token is to be placed, do so. 

It's a vicious cycle. Kind of like boiled ochre; after enough time has passed, I try it again, nearly throw up and then swear off ever trying to eat it again. Until the next time! :P 



#15 Tbla

Tbla

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Nun of your business said:

Benefits (revised): Can you only use the upkeep actions listed on the cards to help other investigators and not yourself?

Psychic: I guess you don't have to be in the same space to trade the skillcard?

Depends on the card. If it says "one other investigator" you can only use it on others. If it says "any one" or just  "one" you can choose to use it your self.

Nun of your business said:

Nidhögg said:

 

Also one question about the Patrolled Neighborhoods:

It says: "Whenever the terror level rises, remove all Patroll markers on the board. Once the people in a neighborhood are reminded of the greater supernatural threat that exists, they are no longer so quick to reject the investigators' assistance!"

But can the patroll markers return to game in later events, or are they gone for good at the time the terrortrack advances?

 

 

My understanding  is that any time a card indicates you've got to put a Patrol token on the board you do so. Then when the Terror Track increases, all current markers are removed from the board. Then the next time a card indicates a new Patrol token is to be placed, do so. 

It's a vicious cycle. Kind of like boiled ochre; after enough time has passed, I try it again nearly throw up and swear off ever trying to eat it again. Utnil the next time! :P 

I agree on this. Otherwise it would be quite boring since you don't get that often anyway.



#16 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ignore this post. I'm posting only to turn the light "new messages in this thread" off.


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League




© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS