Scaling point values for squad building

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

I hear a lot of people talking about 100 pt. games, which I don't have enough ships for yet, and the rule book mentions using 31 points for squad building if you're only using the starter ships. 

What are some squad point values to use between those two levels? Can I just pick any random number and see how it goes or are there accepted point values that scale nicely?

Thanks!

#2 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

GeekZap said:

I hear a lot of people talking about 100 pt. games, which I don't have enough ships for yet, and the rule book mentions using 31 points for squad building if you're only using the starter ships. 

What are some squad point values to use between those two levels? Can I just pick any random number and see how it goes or are there accepted point values that scale nicely?

Thanks!

what i realized: 

-> roughly 1 Xwing to 2 TIE fighters. If you look at the 100 points squad, you can field 8 TIEs (4x Academy, 4x Obsidian) vs 4 Xwings (4x rookie pilots with proton torpedoes for all). or 1 Academy TIE + 1 Obsidian TIE = 1 rookie Xwing + torpedoes. 31 points gives you 1 fully upgraded Xwing vs 2 named TIEs, so it balances out.

So I suggest 60 points, rebels will defeinitely be limited to 2 ship builds, BUT both ships can easily be named characters. 1 Luke 1 Wedge is possible too, with some spare points for upgrades. on the imperials side, you could go for a 3-4 ship build with a couple of named TIEs, or 5x academy TIEs with nothing else. The ratio is slightly favouring the imperials, but on the flipside both rebel ships will be fully armed with upgrades plus their own pilot abilities. Rebels could also opt for a 3x Ywing build, but only one has ion cannons so good luck with that, although it is still possible. Or 2 Ywings 1 Xwing but no ion cannons whatsoever.

#3 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

32,33,34,35…….99. ;)

60-65 works well.

#4 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

qwertyuiop said:

32,33,34,35…….99. ;)

60-65 works well.

I agree, and basically keeping everything in 30 point increments also seems to work.  100 points tends to force the Rebel player to over-upgrade ships to play catch up and never have a reasonable chance of defeating the 8 TIE Fighter swarm, so I like 90 points.  100 is just simply very favorable to the Swarm.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#5 veritechc

veritechc

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Locally we've been doing 65 point Tournaments.

#6 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS