Photo

Army Builder Data Files for Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Game (Beta)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 veritechc

veritechc

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

That really is a mouthful. But the title is not the important part. What you can do with these files are!

For those of you who don’t know Fantasy Flight Games recently released the Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Game and here at The Black Ocean we have fallen in love with it. In this game we get to do what most boys I grew up with wanted to do. Pilot an X-wing!

To help with building lists with this great game we have created data files for use with Wolflair’s Army Builder. With these files you easily can make lists for tournament or casual play. It can be used to make endless “what if” pairings and “how do these work together” squadrons. Once you have just what you want you can print them out with all stats and pictures, then just grab you miniatures and go!

The Black Ocean is committed to the X-Wing Miniatures Game. As new expansion packs come out we will be updating our Army Builder files.

You can get these files from within Army Builder, they are available now or you can directly download them from this link: http://www.theblacko...ng v0.85.ab.zip

Be sure to stop past our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/theblackocean) and give us a like to get all your Sci Fi Wargaming news.

#2 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I remember these guys from when I was playing Star Wars Minis (the early years).  I picked up one of their CD ROMs at Gen Con on a whim.  I still don't know why to this day.  I soon found a "better" squad builder resources later on.

Lone Wolf's "Army Builder" wasn't very "user-friendly" back when I used it all those years ago.  And it doesn't look like anything's changed between then and now,

I would stick with FarkonGnome's resource . . . for the present, imho.  With this resource you can view the cards with merely a move of the mouse, And print a squad list showing the cards, or just plain text.

Again, this is just my 2 creds. :)

#3 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for the kind word Steve, I appreciate it

I was sort of thinking the same thing as you are, why have people use an army builder tool that doesn't have any info in it when there are resources out there (e.g. my tool, BattleScribe, etc.) that do?

When the future waves come out, I'll wind up adding them to my tools.

#4 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Not a problem.  Keep up the good work.

#5 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I agree. Gnome's has proven more than sufficient for me. Move along people, nothing to see here… 

#6 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Holy crap, I just looked at the army builder he referenced and you have to pay for it….. how in the hell are not getting sued by FFG for including their intellectual property in a product you are charging people for?

My head ASPLODE just thinking about that.

#7 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

This post has 'Commercial Advertisement' written all over it.  I own Army Builder and use it for Warhammer 40K, which it is excellent for, but the cost is prohibitive for a game that currently only has a list of units that wouldn't even fill up a Codex. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#8 veritechc

veritechc

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

First off let me publically say that FarkonGnome's Squad creation program is brilliant! It is an innovative and intuitive tool. As a matter of fact I would love to get in contact with him to discuss his collaboration on a future project. (chris@theblackocean.com)

Let me also say that I am a data file author only. I have no affiliation with Army Builder. I made these files which are available for free if you ALREADY own Army Builder. We at the Black Ocean make no money whatsoever on anything we do. We are a Community website that supports Sci Fi Wargaming. There is no advertising on our site and I invite you to take a look for yourself at www.theblackocean.com and www.facebook.com/theblackocean. If you like what you see give us a Facebook like.

We created these data files because Army Builder is an industry standard for tournaments for many games. It is our goal to support the growing tournament scene for Sci Fi Wargaming and we love the Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game. Getting the files into Army Builder will facilitate tournaments in many of the larger venues (such as Adapticon, which the Black Ocean will be at).

That being said our data files contain every aspect of the Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game and we are offering this as a tool for everyone. Please feel free to give us any feedback at show@theblackocean.com

Thank you and see you on the tabletop.

#9 veritechc

veritechc

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

CaptainRook said:

This post has 'Commercial Advertisement' written all over it.  I own Army Builder and use it for Warhammer 40K, which it is excellent for, but the cost is prohibitive for a game that currently only has a list of units that wouldn't even fill up a Codex. 

I have already answered the commercial advertisement above.

Please note that if you have Army Builder that you can use it for many game systems. So these wiles are a FREE bonus to anyone who already owns the program.

#10 CarlStrack01

CarlStrack01

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I already own the latest version of Army Builder for Mac, and downloaded the supported data file for Star Wars X-Wing. It translated perfectly, and works great. I'm using it now to create my open and tournament rules squad lists now. Thanks for the great data file .

#11 Daerambar

Daerambar

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thank you so much for creating the AB files mate. I have been subscribed to Army Builder for years in my other wargaming, and seeing this available so soon after the release of X-Wing was a hugely impressive, and added more value to my sub. It makes theoretical list building just that much simpler.

Keep up the good work.

#12 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Instead of everyone saying how good FarkonGnome's stuff is, can someone link to it?

Thanks

EDIT: I just realized that I already had access to it. It is the browser based tool.

#13 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

What version of Army Builder is this for? I'm running 2.2 (yeah, I know, but it's supported for 40k and I ain't paying for a new version), and it won't import. Any information is appreciated, since I love AB for my Imperial Guard Army.

#14 MarkNorfolk

MarkNorfolk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thank's for working on this. Added to my AB….

Cheers

Mark

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS