• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Addico

Addico

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi Guys,

I have just received my copy of the witch song and have a few questions regarding the witch and the warlock career. It would be great if someone can help me in this case:

- Which spellcards do the witch begin with? Do the witch receive any cards for beginning such as cantrip or counterspell?

- Rank1 witch; Rank2 warlock; and then? What could be a possible following career?

- A Warlock can never learn spells above Rank1, right? Isn`t that a great handicap compared to other careers? Is the variety in spells the warlock has worth it?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,

Addico

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Addico said:

- Which spellcards do the witch begin with? Do the witch receive any cards for beginning such as cantrip or counterspell?

As per raw, they do not recieve any card or skill.

Addico said:

- Rank1 witch; Rank2 warlock; and then? What could be a possible following career?

The game does not offer any possible continuation, but if you don't mind using fan material in my signature, clicking in "The Dark Side", you will find a set of 3 careers I made to give the possibility of continuity to these type of characters. I made careers up to rank 5 to match those of Wizards and Priests.

Addico said:

- A Warlock can never learn spells above Rank1, right? Isn`t that a great handicap compared to other careers? Is the variety in spells the warlock has worth it?

The Witch cannot learn spell above rank 1. Warlocks, as per raw rules, don't have this limitation.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 Addico

Addico

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Thank you for the Answer, Yepes! I`ve already seen your selfmade stuff while searching the forums for an answer. 

Really great job! I`ll use your careers if my witcher will ever reach that rank.

No Action cards to start with? I think I`m going to houserule this. How do you handle that?

Ok, I thought the only-rank1-spell-limitation is for the warlock and all following careers as well. Nice to hear that. But isn`t that a little bit to powerfull compared to an order-mage? Why just choose one college when you can have all? ;-)

Thank you!

#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Addico said:

Ok, I thought the only-rank1-spell-limitation is for the warlock and all following careers as well. Nice to hear that. But isn`t that a little bit to powerfull compared to an order-mage? Why just choose one college when you can have all? ;-)

Ask the Witchunters 

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#5 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

Addico said:

Thank you for the Answer, Yepes! I`ve already seen your selfmade stuff while searching the forums for an answer. 

Really great job! I`ll use your careers if my witcher will ever reach that rank.

No Action cards to start with? I think I`m going to houserule this. How do you handle that?

There's a great social stigma to be a Witch, most people in the empire would burn a witch if they could, not to mention the witch hunters.

No action cards or skilld for free to start with also "balances" the careers against college wizards. Also, the witch doesn't have channeling as a career skill, forcing the character to use the power gained each round towards equilibrium instead of channeling.

As the witch/warlock must purchase more cards they won't have as much advances to spend on spells.

#6 BJake

BJake

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Having no spells to start creates a bit of a problem if you count basic spell actions against the limit of actions you can purchase. The same happens if a character becomes a wizard's app after their first career. The characters action quota gets clogged with basic wizardly abilities and they don't really get the opportunity to buy decent rank one spells, or they have to ignore basic abilities to do so. 

The witch or new wizard doesn't just have to spend hundreds more experience points, the enclosed nature of the career system limits them further. I've found the need to houserule this stuff. You may find you need to give out a couple free basic actions or allow purchases outside the career limits.

Having no magic-users in my campaign at all, I created an opportunity for one to become a witch or wizard as their second career (from thug hilariously), but encountered a lot of pot-holes. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS