Psychic powers - Augury, Mind Scan etc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 awmperry

awmperry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Something cropped up in a game yesterday. My Librarian used Augury to look for more information on our mission, but the GM had some difficulty figuring out exactly what information it would reveal. The mechanics seem contradictory; the tarot only applies to the person being read, but nevertheless allows extremely broad questions ("What dangers does our chapter face?" and so on). 

There's a lot of very woolly descriptions in the book - is there any official word on exactly what the process is, specifically for Augury and Mind Scan?

(Also, why do FFG seem to think that "semi-auto" means "short burst"? Then again, there's a lot of instances of Did Not Do The Research in the weaponry stuff…) ;-)

#2 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

awmperry said:

Something cropped up in a game yesterday. My Librarian used Augury to look for more information on our mission, but the GM had some difficulty figuring out exactly what information it would reveal. The mechanics seem contradictory; the tarot only applies to the person being read, but nevertheless allows extremely broad questions ("What dangers does our chapter face?" and so on). 

There's a lot of very woolly descriptions in the book - is there any official word on exactly what the process is, specifically for Augury and Mind Scan?

(Also, why do FFG seem to think that "semi-auto" means "short burst"? Then again, there's a lot of instances of Did Not Do The Research in the weaponry stuff…) ;-)

As the GM you may be as vague or precise with these psychic powers as you want. A game I ran the librarian asked, "what is the most powerful enemy we could face." They were going down onto a planet filled with an entire enemy army with tanks and planes and the like. My answer was, "You see a cave, your mind is being pulled towards the back of the cave, you can feel there is something powerful in this cave."

I had only 1 encounter with a cave planned, and it was semi-optional one at that (though if they wanted to complete all their objectives at the best level they'd have to find it). Inside was a certain creature, but I didn't want them to know what the creature was or its exact position. They knew the most powerful enemy they would face was in the back of a cave, and that was all they were getting.

If you want to be uber-specific, you can. Just remember the warp isn't wikipedia. It is rarely going to give you the answer you are looking for, heck you're lucky it gives you an answer to the actual question you asked.

Semi-auto weapons (or weapons with semi-auto settings) fire once for each trigger pull. Firing multiple shots on semi-auto can be considered a burst of fire. Its simply nomenclature, it isn't wrong, they just needed to call it something.

#3 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think one augury before a mission is fine. It can give the killteam useful if not overwhelming amounts of information.

#4 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Decessor said:

I think one augury before a mission is fine. It can give the killteam useful if not overwhelming amounts of information.

Agreed. Don't let them get away with abusing this ability. If they ask multiple questions say, "Your mind has disrupted the warp currents too much, they are not telling you anything else." Let them use the ability but make it understand they are only going to get one or two actual answers. That way they ask important questions and not spend 2 hours asking every little detail about your encounter.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS