Jump to content



Photo

2 questions


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Obetor

Obetor

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hey
I have 2 questions

1) In last session 2 players killed a Daemon Prince and his bodyguards of 6 Iron Warriors without burning a fate point. I was thinking about giving them Crux Terminatus, but do you guys think that’s enough (they have done other thinks like infiltrating a Chaos Forge world at killing the head magos)
 

2) Can followers get Psychic Powers?
 

- Erik



#2 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

 I would say it certainly ranks as an award for such an act.

 



#3 Gaire

Gaire

    Member

  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

 Greater Followers can have a Psy Rating of 2, so I imagine that you could buy them psychic powers using some of their Talent slots.



#4 herichimo

herichimo

    Member

  • Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Obetor said:

I was thinking about giving them Crux Terminatus, but do you guys think that’s enough

If they've got 60 renown, sure.

If they don't have 60 renown, no.

See sidebar on page 271 of DW rulebook.



#5 Gaire

Gaire

    Member

  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

 Rites of Battle suggests 40+ Renown and Rank 4 or higher for the Crux.



#6 Decessor

Decessor

    Member

  • Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

It also suggests that the Crux Terminatus can be given earlier for the greatest of deeds.



#7 herichimo

herichimo

    Member

  • Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeah… giving a marine the greatest possible accolade and honor possible should really be super easy. Awarded after just a few half dozen of comparatively routine missions. "Hey, I shot a gaunt in that last mission… wheres my marksman honor?"

Yeeeaaaa….no!

60 is 40+, the writers of the RoB probably didn't know it was in the core rulebook already and listed it as a too easy honor. The core rulebook is appropriate to the importance and signifigance of the crux, RoB is not.

It should be hard, it should be veterans only, it should not be 'bereveted'. Really important stuff should not be easy to get. Otherwise it diminishes its importance and celebrates mediocrity.

But hey, if you want to give away all the important honors super early and have your players with all honors at rank 4 with nothing to really work towards or apire to earn… Well, thats on you, enjoy your boring and frustrating games.



#8 Gantz the slaughterer

Gantz the slaughterer

    Member

  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

only curiosity…from which chapter they came from?



#9 Decessor

Decessor

    Member

  • Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

herichimo said:

But hey, if you want to give away all the important honors super early and have your players with all honors at rank 4 with nothing to really work towards or apire to earn… Well, thats on you, enjoy your boring and frustrating games.

Quite a few assumptions there. Note the emphasis on the "greatest of deeds". If a relatively young marine shows nigh unique tactical aptitude, bravery and overall competence, I believe he would be at least considered for honours that his prior reputation would not have allowed. Remember, one major facet of honours is to encourage that behaviour in other marines. For solid, reliable but workmanlike (for a space marine) progress, the book numbers are perfectly fine guidelines.



#10 Gaire

Gaire

    Member

  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

 My Marines earned their Crux Terminatuses… Terminati? Cruxes Terminatus? Terminator Honors. They earned them after we concluded The Emperor Protects. They had Renown of… 45, I think, were rank 5, and had just saved the whole Reach. I think that suffices.



#11 Obetor

Obetor

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

”Gaire
Greater Followers can have a Psy Rating of 2, so I imagine that you could buy them psychic powers using some of their Talent slots.”

 

The psychic powers the player wanted had a XP cost of 2500. I cant remember the names of the powers, just thought 2500 xp psychic powers + talents for a 1500 XP follower sounded wrong. 

 

”Gantz the slaughterer
only curiosity…from which chapter they came from?”

 

Dark Lions (Dark Angels successor) and Omega Knights (Blood Angels successor) Custom Chapter generated using Rites of Battle
The Dark Lion is a rank 3 Tactical Marine (Command build) with 40 renown
The Omega Knight is a rank 2 Devastator with 30+ something renown.
 

The reason why they have so high renown are because they only uses Oath of Glory.

 

- Erik
 



#12 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

    Member

  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

Obetor said:

1) In last session 2 players killed a Daemon Prince and his bodyguards of 6 Iron Warriors without burning a fate point. I was thinking about giving them Crux Terminatus, but do you guys think that’s enough (they have done other thinks like infiltrating a Chaos Forge world at killing the head magos) 

Why not? Sounds like you feel they've earned it, so go right ahead!

Personally, I prefer to delay such rewards a little if only because you want to create that build-up so when they finally get to requisition some Terminator armour, it really feels special, something they've been looking forward to for some time.

I like to think of it this way: yes, the PCs have done something incredible. However, the Crux Terminatus is an award granted by some pretty high ranking people. Given all of their responsibilities, it's likely that it will take some time before these people hear of the marine's exploits and then choose to act on them.

I don't agree with Herichimo that giving them the Honours early will ruin your game: you and your group get to decide what's fun for you. But, there is something to be said for withholding the Crux just a little bit longer, to see if not having it can encourage your players to do one or two more awesome things.



#13 Gantz the slaughterer

Gantz the slaughterer

    Member

  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

But,

in the Deathwatch, who give the Crux Terminatus?

Who decide?

As a space wolf, if I was able to earn this honor, the Great Wolf give it to me, but in the Wolf chapter is very hard to earn such honor.

Only few for each company…



#14 Okidus

Okidus

    Member

  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

 I more interested in how this occurred.

 



#15 Grimze

Grimze

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I would have suggested either the Terminator honour or a small boost in renown cause of their actions.

 

We haven't used honours and stuff that much, cause our GM thinks it's a bit OP in his opinion..

Last session we fought against a Bloodthirster, and got "saved" by lance strikes and a small unit of Grey knight Terminators.. a bit lame for such encounter, to let a few people PC's burn severel fate points and afterwards gets saved by them… I have burned 5 fate points over 2x 6-8 hours RP sessions, and regained 2… which makes me feel sad that i only have 1 fate point left..

 

 



#16 Kasatka

Kasatka

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Grimze said:

I would have suggested either the Terminator honour or a small boost in renown cause of their actions.

 

We haven't used honours and stuff that much, cause our GM thinks it's a bit OP in his opinion..

Last session we fought against a Bloodthirster, and got "saved" by lance strikes and a small unit of Grey knight Terminators.. a bit lame for such encounter, to let a few people PC's burn severel fate points and afterwards gets saved by them… I have burned 5 fate points over 2x 6-8 hours RP sessions, and regained 2… which makes me feel sad that i only have 1 fate point left..

 

The game sounds poorly balanced and not much fun.

Be more suicidal and see if your GM uses more deus ex machina to save the players.


Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.


#17 Grimze

Grimze

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Kasatka said:

Grimze said:

 

I would have suggested either the Terminator honour or a small boost in renown cause of their actions.

 

We haven't used honours and stuff that much, cause our GM thinks it's a bit OP in his opinion..

Last session we fought against a Bloodthirster, and got "saved" by lance strikes and a small unit of Grey knight Terminators.. a bit lame for such encounter, to let a few people PC's burn severel fate points and afterwards gets saved by them… I have burned 5 fate points over 2x 6-8 hours RP sessions, and regained 2… which makes me feel sad that i only have 1 fate point left..

 

 

 

The game sounds poorly balanced and not much fun.

Be more suicidal and see if your GM uses more deus ex machina to save the players.

Well, over the time i have become far more reckless.. due to i am an Assault marine of Black templars (im not using jump pack, due to my agility is quite high and the concept of being "not comfortable with jump packs").. But yes, it ain't really that funny at the moment, with so much fate point burning all the time..

Imo it ain't balanced.. Only me and my BA assault marine brother is getting more killed than any other.. on a single night, we burned double the amount of fate points than the rest of the team of 6 players.. And we fought against a Termie Chaos lord of Nurgle + Nurgle sorc. and got pwned quite much, due to their resilent behaviour.. Even my character with +15 Str bonus and a chain sword, had to make Righteous fury + confirm + minimum 3 on the die to deal 1 point of damage against the Chaos lord (and we had to deal with a force field + 2 parries per turn).. that made me quite sad..



#18 Kasatka

Kasatka

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Grimze said:

Kasatka said:

 

Grimze said:

 

I would have suggested either the Terminator honour or a small boost in renown cause of their actions.

 

We haven't used honours and stuff that much, cause our GM thinks it's a bit OP in his opinion..

Last session we fought against a Bloodthirster, and got "saved" by lance strikes and a small unit of Grey knight Terminators.. a bit lame for such encounter, to let a few people PC's burn severel fate points and afterwards gets saved by them… I have burned 5 fate points over 2x 6-8 hours RP sessions, and regained 2… which makes me feel sad that i only have 1 fate point left..

 

 

 

The game sounds poorly balanced and not much fun.

Be more suicidal and see if your GM uses more deus ex machina to save the players.

 

 

Well, over the time i have become far more reckless.. due to i am an Assault marine of Black templars (im not using jump pack, due to my agility is quite high and the concept of being "not comfortable with jump packs").. But yes, it ain't really that funny at the moment, with so much fate point burning all the time..

Imo it ain't balanced.. Only me and my BA assault marine brother is getting more killed than any other.. on a single night, we burned double the amount of fate points than the rest of the team of 6 players.. And we fought against a Termie Chaos lord of Nurgle + Nurgle sorc. and got pwned quite much, due to their resilent behaviour.. Even my character with +15 Str bonus and a chain sword, had to make Righteous fury + confirm + minimum 3 on the die to deal 1 point of damage against the Chaos lord (and we had to deal with a force field + 2 parries per turn).. that made me quite sad..

 

Well partly i would say that in that instance you needed to adapt your tactics - the assault marines should have fallen back and let the rest of the battlebrothers cover them to whittle down the enemies wounds and reactions (in the form of dodges) once those are gone you can dive in and cleave them apart.

Generally however it sounds like the GM is just throwing what they consider to be cool at you to make you struggle, and potentially die. In my mind burning fate should not even happen every session, let alone multiple times per session.


Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS