big battles and damage cards

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

as i am starting to look at  bigger game one issues i was thinking about was running out of damage cards? has anyone else found this ? or is it likely than when playing bigger games people are likely to have more than one core set so enough damage cards? I havent seen any expansions which contain more damage cards yet

#2 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

I purchased 3 core sets, so I have more than enough.

#3 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

If you are having large games I expect there will be more than one core set available, each side can then have a deck.  Alternatively you could use, beads or counters as damage markers and just use the cards for critical hits.

#4 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hardrainfalling said:

as i am starting to look at  bigger game one issues i was thinking about was running out of damage cards? has anyone else found this ? or is it likely than when playing bigger games people are likely to have more than one core set so enough damage cards? I havent seen any expansions which contain more damage cards yet

It is in the rule book. If you manage to run out, crits are just regular hits and you are supposed to something to proxy the hits until you can reshuffle the deck.

#5 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

"In the unlikely event that there are no Damage cards remaining in the deck or discard pile, change all results rolled to results. Use a suitable replacement to track additional damage until the deck is replenished." - Page 21

Not sure what "until the desk is replenished" means, the only way to replenish the desk is if upgrade cards are used to to remove damage cards, or when ships are destroyed returning their damage cards to the deck.  I suppose that is exactly what replenish means….

Another thing you could do, is find a replacement for the face down cards.  I do not know of a mechanic that would flip these cards into crits, so you should be able to substitute them on the table with something and replenish the desk that way too.

I have 2 core sets, and when I play 100+ pt games, I just plan on using a full deck for each team/player (which are official tourney rules anyways).

#6 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

1 deck per side. If that is still not enough, use damage counters for normal damage (eg. that useless token for mission 2), and use the deck only for crits

#7 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Aside from the mention above regarding the Tournament rules, is there anything in the book that I may have missed regarding manipulating the standard deck?  I'm reading through it again. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

CaptainRook said:

Aside from the mention above regarding the Tournament rules, is there anything in the book that I may have missed regarding manipulating the standard deck?  I'm reading through it again. 

you need to shuffle it and put it face down.

#9 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Duraham said:

CaptainRook said:

Well, I suppose I'm wondering if there will be more Damage Cards to come, or if adding/subtracting certain cards is something that would get me sent to my room. 

#10 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

CaptainRook said:

Duraham said:

CaptainRook said:

Well, I suppose I'm wondering if there will be more Damage Cards to come, or if adding/subtracting certain cards is something that would get me sent to my room. 

you are not supposed to add or remove or change any of the cards inside the deck, that's all. so if you have 2 or more core sets, you do not combine the damage cards into one big deck

#11 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Duraham said:

you are not supposed to add or remove or change any of the cards inside the deck, that's all. so if you have 2 or more core sets, you do not combine the damage cards into one big deck

Cool.  Thanks. 

#12 Trooper TK421

Trooper TK421

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, I guess I'll need to keep an eye out for the FFG police then.  I've already combined the components of three core games (with two more in the wings) as well as quite a few expansions. Guess it's a good thing my friends and I don't do tourneys.

#13 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

I do wish that they have new damage cards though, like discard one astromech upgrade from your opponent, or treat target ship's left maneuvers as right and right maneuvers as left, or something to deal with the new boost action with the wave 4 ships etc.

#14 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Trooper TK421 said:

Hmm, I guess I'll need to keep an eye out for the FFG police then.  I've already combined the components of three core games (with two more in the wings) as well as quite a few expansions. Guess it's a good thing my friends and I don't do tourneys.

You're probably going to jail or something.  You probably take those tags off of mattresses, too.  Stickin' it to the man every way you can!

#15 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Duraham said:

I do wish that they have new damage cards though, like discard one astromech upgrade from your opponent, or treat target ship's left maneuvers as right and right maneuvers as left, or something to deal with the new boost action with the wave 4 ships etc.

I do like the idea of a Critical that results in the removal of an upgrade.  I don't think it would be balanced if it only removed an astromech upgrade, though.  No 'contemporary' Imperial fighters have them, and neither do A-Wings or B-Wings.  I'm a bit fuzzy by what you mean by the maneuvering.

#16 Trooper TK421

Trooper TK421

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

It would appear that an apology is in order , I think I overreacted a bit. I was a bit cranky after an extremely long shift and I'm not a fan of people telling other people how to play with their toys. It appeared to me that Duraham was doing just that, when in fact he was just being informative. I'm sorry. Just for the record, I leave my mattress tags on, but I do remove the ones from pillows.

#17 SEWeed

SEWeed

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Just want to say that these types of threads are very helpful. 

And I really like when players take the time to quote the rule book (with page numbers). Excellent.

I have two core sets, and on a hunch I did not mix the two damage card packs. It seems for tourney rules, each side should maintain their own pack. Perfect. I now have two packs and can accommodate this rule.  I may not play in any tourneys, but playing by the agreed upon parameters is the whole point (for us).

Thanks for all the contributions here!

#18 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

I've just got to ask, how did you ever find this thread?  Was this a question you were actually seeking an answer for or did you just happen upon it digging through old threads?  This forum has absolutely no semblance of organizaztion whatsoever and topics are repeated endlessly because no one has as much determination as you to dig through page after page looking to see if a similar thread has been posted.  This forum goes through at least ten pages a month so things tend to get buried quite quickly.

#19 SEWeed

SEWeed

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Yes. This is exactly the question I had. I was about to post it but thought I should search for it first. I use other gaming site message boards and I tend to search for threads before posting when I can. Sometimes the board is so big and search is so horrible it is impossible.

Granted, this Msg board lacks some of the fidelity of others, but they all lack for want of features. I thought my answer would make the question "bump" to the top of the Rules Forum list, but it didn't. At least in my browser it didn't.

I did the most basic search, selected SEARCH FORUM, selected x-wing, and then put in "damage cards" I read through a page or so of responses to see that this thread "big battles and damage cards" was what I was looking to find.

It helps if the community of posters understands that a descriptive subject line REALLY DOES help.

As for the Rules Forum. It would be great if there were sections within it as well: Phases? Actions? Upgrades? Movement? I don't know as I am very new to miniatures gaming and X-WING, but having this facility sure does help!

How did you find my response so quickly? Or was it "bumped" to the top of your list?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS