SWM

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

Does anyone know if FFG is planning on doing a WotC style miniature game? X-Wing is definitely fun, but being a hardcore SWM fan I hope they bring them back…. or at least something similar.

#2 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

While I do miss that game, and I think FFG could do a great job of maintaining it…I highly doubt it will happen. At least not without drastic changes. FFG seems to want to stay away from any sort of collectible game. It's a bit of a shame, but probably for the best. Let the dead stay dead. There's still plenty of material within that game to play for years with friends without needing to revive it anyway.

#3 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

On the other hand, doing a "Dust" type of game, with fixed/known miniatures, is within the realm of possibility once the RPG takes off properly. Not by any means a certainty, though, since the Edge of the Empire game is not minis-oriented like the WotC games are.

#4 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

imagine if FFG re-did assault on hoth, this time complete with all the miniatures and fast-paced game engine

#5 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

IG-58 said:

On the other hand, doing a "Dust" type of game, with fixed/known miniatures, is within the realm of possibility once the RPG takes off properly. Not by any means a certainty, though, since the Edge of the Empire game is not minis-oriented like the WotC games are.

This has been my theory since I read through the RPG.  Dust is yet another wonderful and very balanced system, and I get the feeling that we'll see a 'Tactics' version of Star Wars if the current lines heed positive returns.  The dice system is fairly similar between the RPG, X-Wing and Dust, as well, so I have the feeling there will be the intention of some level of compatibility between the three.  Which would be ingenious.  You're pretty much getting three games in one. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#6 lokirising

lokirising

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'd like to see a WH40K style minis battle game rather than another collectible minis game.

#7 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

lokirising said:

I'd like to see a WH40K style minis battle game rather than another collectible minis game.

If by 'collectible' you mean the randomly assorted kind such as the WotC game was?  I don't think FFG has any interest in that sales strategy, but they tend to do a good job with balancing games, so there's no reason to make you buy a dozen useless units to get the rare one that all the powergamers are hunting. 

#8 lokirising

lokirising

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Yes, I was referring to the WoTC minis game. I come from a 40K background and hated the fact I had to spend 20.00 on a box of minis that were random. I'd rather be able to buy whatever minis I need for how I play.

#9 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

lokirising said:

Yes, I was referring to the WoTC minis game. I come from a 40K background and hated the fact I had to spend 20.00 on a box of minis that were random. I'd rather be able to buy whatever minis I need for how I play.

I don't think you'll have to fear that with FFG, and I certainly agree.  My introduction to gaming was Mechwarrior:  Dark Age/of Destruction and by the time that game died I'd estimated probably 90% of the money I had spent was wasted on miniatures I never used.  I never want to return to that unfulfilling sort of hobby again.  I'm amazed HeroClix still succeeds, because it seems most of our customers that play are really only looking for two models out of each set.  They'll spend hundreds of dollars to get a few miniatures, and yet they said X-Wing was expensive.  "Yeah, it looks a lot of fun, but $15 for a single fighter?" when they'll spend $15 knowing the odds of getting anything useful or valuable is slim. 

#10 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

KarmikazeKidd said:

It's a bit of a shame, but probably for the best. Let the dead stay dead. There's still plenty of material within that game to play for years with friends without needing to revive it anyway.

Thats the truth. Fun while it was active and still a blast to play! lol

#11 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

If they were to do a Dust Style game for star wars I would super happy! lol

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

I spent a ton of money (relatively) on SWMinis and all along I told myself it would be something I could play long after the product line ended. But now I can see so much imbalance in the game and with my hundreds of minis, only a few squads really do well. Trying to balance that game for a fun evening with a friend or family member is a nightmare! I'm really pleased with FFG's sense of balance so far. I hope it remains that way. With that in mind, I don't think I could resist getting at least the first wave if FFG did a tactics-style Star Wars game.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Budgernaut said:

I spent a ton of money (relatively) on SWMinis and all along I told myself it would be something I could play long after the product line ended. But now I can see so much imbalance in the game and with my hundreds of minis, only a few squads really do well. Trying to balance that game for a fun evening with a friend or family member is a nightmare! I'm really pleased with FFG's sense of balance so far. I hope it remains that way. With that in mind, I don't think I could resist getting at least the first wave if FFG did a tactics-style Star Wars game.

I do believe Fantasy Flight is the one the prophesy speaks of.  The one that will bring balance to the Force.

Seriously, I've been gaming for a little over a decade now, and I feel like every FFG game I've played in the past two years has balance down.  Whereas in other miniatures games it seems like half or more of the units or characters are useless, in FFG games there's usually only one.  Everything has a weak link, but Fantasy Flight seems to care about minimizing that. 

#14 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

let sleeping dogs lie , although i do still have my Gungan army including Jar jar :) 

I also had the orignal west end games star wars wargame which was half bad

#15 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

there a def balance issues with SWM. All i can do now is hope and pray for a balance SW tactics game from FFG.

#16 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

booya gungans! lol

#17 Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

lordflavius7 said:

KarmikazeKidd said:

It's a bit of a shame, but probably for the best. Let the dead stay dead. There's still plenty of material within that game to play for years with friends without needing to revive it anyway.

Thats the truth. Fun while it was active and still a blast to play! lol

To be honest I am one of those players that is refusing the let SWM die through all of the Community Supported V-sets that have now come out.  the game continues to be a blast and now I have a purpose for all those "waste of Space" minis that you get when you blindly buy a booster pack.  I will agree I was very disappointed with WOTC last few sets, but the guys who have taken it upon themselves to keep the game alive have done a fantastic job.  if you haven't checked out the V-sets, head over to www.swmgamers.com I think you will be surprised by the level of game play that is now apart of this game.  

#18 Natesroom

Natesroom

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I would definately be down for a Dust Style Star Wars Tactics game… I would love it if they would produce terrain too for them or better yet champion the Game Customizers. Back in the day you had magazine articles and stuff and that all cost money. Now you could just produce or run a Blog and I think it would be a hit (all for a lower overhead then managing and editing a monthly magazine.

#19 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I, like so many others, played Star Wars Minis from the begining until the end.  I still get the V-Sets, just  to keep up with what's going on with the community.  Although, I haven't played since the demise of the WotC first run of minis (I couldn't play "to buy a paper bag, to get out of" right now -- I'm that rusty).

I would like to see FFG do something about this in the future , with a mechanic that keeps things balanced.  (So don't rush it to the printers just appease us, the fans.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS