First a few things about me so you know where i come from: I own all the AP/expansions and have about 100+ games done so far. The vast majority of those games were 3 or 4 player games.
What will come next might sound like a rant, but its not . I really love the game and cant wait to get the next expansions. So here I go:
- Treacheries: they are fun, add a nice tactical element to the game (should i block this one, or maybe wait because another might come and be even more damaging) but in some of the AP you really have added way too many. Just killed the Barlog yesterday and we got 6!! in a row. It was a 4 player game, but still. They just make Eleonor a must in every game, and this is not fun. Also, 12+ APs later, we still only have 2 ways to respond to treacheries: 2 Test of Will cards and Eleonor. I really hope you guys add some new cards that would help with this. Maybe an ally that can block a treachery but gets discarded after, sort of like the way we block shadow cards.
- Locations: Why are almost all locations, with very few exceptions, bad? Give us some good locations, like we have in the first quest from the core game. Make a character ready, add 1 resource to a hero, give bonus to attack/defense/willpower for that round, let us search x cards from the deck and keep one, or any other good effect.
- Secrecy: really good and thematic idea, but you need to expand it more. Right now, the only reason I would consider going for a secrecy deck would be to put out Resourcefulness as early possible and then absorb the threat of another player.
- Difficulty balance: some quests are almost impossible solo, while in 3-4 players they become a walk in the park. Others, tend to get more difficult the more players you have.You need to do two things here:
- Provide a difficulty rating based on the number of players. Right now, all scenarios come with one DR: 5 (for example). But that scenario might be a 5 solo, but a 2 in 4 players. Just add 3 more ratings there: 2 player, 3 player and 4 player games.
- Add a different way of balancing a 2nd, 3rd of 4th player. Right now, we just reveal one more card. This makes most of the scenarios easy, since we already have 3 other heroes that can quest/fight. In my games, usually we have 1 guy questing, 1 guy fighting, and 2 guys doing both of those things, as needed. In a 4 player game, most scenarios can be won by slowly questing in the begining while everyone gathers allies and attachments, and when we think we're ready, we go full speed. Unless a bad cad draw of treacheries happen, nothing can really stop us.
Quality of life:
- FAQ: on BGG there is a very useful FAQ posted. Good for anyone, but especially for new players who might have questions about certain abilities or how they trigger. Maybe add a QR code & link on all Expansions/AP to it? Shouldn't take much space and would really help out. Just check the LOTR forum on BGG, most new players keep asking the same questions. They are clearly not well covered in the manual so why not provide everyone with more detailed information?
- Errata: Some cards and abilities have been changed in the last year, mostly because they were overpowered (Ziggy, Berevor). Just provide us with the new cards in the next big expansion box. I still play with the cards as they are written, and I personally know at least 2 other gaming groups that do the same. Again, check BGG and you will see that most people play the cards as they are. It is silly to explain to someone that what he reads on the card is not actually correct, he has to go to a website and check a PDF for the real version. Its not like there are so many changed cards that cost can become an issue.
Long post, I know