• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cimmeria

Cimmeria

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hello,

I'm not quite sure about how Tom "Mountain" Murphy, the ally, works. His card states that I should "Ignore the Stamina cost of all tasks". If it means that it's useful solely on monster tasks like monster Flying Polyp, it sounds that this ally is almost useless. But, if I interpret it as if he would prevent me from losing Stamina from adventure effects like Unnatural Habitat ("Terror: Lose 1 Stamina") or even Stamina costs from failing an adventure, he becomes too powerful, I think.

What's true? Is there a middle ground?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

For my money, it only applies to tasks that have the -1 Heart (Stamina) as one of the requirements of completing that row. Those are fairly rare, as are allies (never spent trophies on one, it's usually R'lyeh completion that nets the only ally) and Tom (and his Sanity counterpart) have probably the most useless abilities.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

It refers to the task on the adventure card, such as the second task on "the Elder Sign" or "Hallway on Fire", only.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#4 xfoley8

xfoley8

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Angus Lee said:

It refers to the task on the adventure card, such as the second task on "the Elder Sign" or "Hallway on Fire", only.

Monsters, too. 

I wouldn't call the ability useless- I've died putting out that damn fire on several occasions!

#5 goldenTroubadour

goldenTroubadour

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Dam said:

Tom (and his Sanity counterpart) have probably the most useless abilities.

I respectfully beg to differ. Just today I played a game wherein I received Tom's Sanity counterpart (as a reward for completing R'lyeh) and playing as Kate Winthrop I was able to tank at least two late-game adventures that involved both Sanity loss and Terrors (which have no effect on Kate as it stands)

#6 goldenTroubadour

goldenTroubadour

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

[edit]: accidental double-post

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

goldenTroubadour said:

I respectfully beg to differ. Just today I played a game wherein I received Tom's Sanity counterpart (as a reward for completing R'lyeh) and playing as Kate Winthrop I was able to tank at least two late-game adventures that involved both Sanity loss and Terrors (which have no effect on Kate as it stands)

(apologies for not replying sooner, both Firefox and Chrome were not giving the writing window for about two week)

By tanking, did you mean fail an Adventure? Sure, Tom/William probably work great if you're houseruling them. T/W help you against Sanity/Stamina COSTS (those listed on the tasks for Adventures), they do NOTHING against losses for failing Adventures. Costs and losses are two different things.

#8 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

I believe "tanking" in this instance referrs to the, in MMOs common, ability to soak up damage.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Tanking, in basketball, refers to deliberately losing (in order to get a higher draft pick).

#10 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

We're on the internet here, boy! MMOs have a much higher status here than mere basketball, and thus their definitions are the norm. ;)

#11 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well, honestly, I have never (and will never) played a MMO. I'm not paying a monthly charge to get to play a game that I paid for already.

#12 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not every MMO has monthly payments. And not every such MMO uses pay2win.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#13 anonymous

anonymous

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Dam said:

goldenTroubadour said:

(apologies for not replying sooner, both Firefox and Chrome were not giving the writing window for about two week)

By tanking, did you mean fail an Adventure? Sure, Tom/William probably work great if you're houseruling them. T/W help you against Sanity/Stamina COSTS (those listed on the tasks for Adventures), they do NOTHING against losses for failing Adventures. Costs and losses are two different things.

Except that Whiskey/Food say to prevent "loss" and according to the FAQ they can be used to prevent costs.

But yeah, the allies in question only apply to task costs.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS