Photo

New to Arkam Horror-Suggestions on how to not die and possibly win?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lostcymbrogi

lostcymbrogi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

I bought this a while back, but never got a chance to fully explore it until recently. It seems pretty complex and we die…alot. Any suggestions on how to not die and possibly win?

#2 Thomas Cartwright

Thomas Cartwright

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

By die, do you mean that you lose the game, or that your investigators are frequently sent to the hospital or asylum?

#3 jack21222

jack21222

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Focus on sealing gates, almost above all else. If you can close a gate but not seal, consider just walking away from it instead. 

#4 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

jack21222 said:

Focus on sealing gates, almost above all else. If you can close a gate but not seal, consider just walking away from it instead. 

I agree. Rapid sealing can lead fighting the GOO quickly, however there are some locations, (e.g. Hibb's, Historical Society) which don't get gates often so simply closing them is acceptable.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

If you look at the Akrhamwiki on the net, there is quite a long list of things to take care of in order to spot out a winning strategy. Anyway, look at the frequency of gates (somewhere they tend to appear more often than somewhere else), do not waste clues on skill checks, and go for sealing as soon as you can. After some games, you should be able to control the main board pretty easily and win almost all your games :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Also if everything goes wrong and there is no chance of winning by seals, start preparing for final combat. Check the AO's strengths and weaknesses and gear up accordingly. Buy weapons, gather clues and bless as many investigators as possible.

#7 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Tbla said:

Also if everything goes wrong and there is no chance of winning by seals, start preparing for final combat. Check the AO's strengths and weaknesses and gear up accordingly. Buy weapons, gather clues and bless as many investigators as possible.

I always have trouble admitting when it's time to do that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS