Free-Traders and Freebooters' Catalogue [a work in progress]

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

So, annoying as I am, I have here the latest update on the fringer supplement I'm constructing.

I have done most conversions myself - although other people here on the forums have inspired some of it and others have given feedback on some of the stuff. They should be included, although if you feel left out, I either apologise or encourage to participate

Please comment if you feel like telling me if I missed the mark on some of these things. New to this version is a lot of weapons - I'm one of those pesky people that like named models and small variances. Yes. I'm sure some are against this stance, that's fair and please do voice your opinion - although I do not care much about the discussion of "if" this is necessary or not. If I didn't think so and feel that if informed and improved my game, I wouldn't have done it.

There are some attachments in there as well, some of which is very much Boehm's work - I have only streamlined and packed stuff together - these I want commentary one in particular (thank you Boehm for supplying me with ideas!). I have also a version of the retractable/attachable stock - I can't find the thread it was discussed in so this is from what I remember and from the SE take on it. I think it looks ok, if not great. Also, the weapons, please comment, here or there.

EDIT: Should be the correct file now.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#2 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Oh my, it seems its the odt file and not a pdf. Give me a sec.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

#3 LukeZZ

LukeZZ

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Great work!!!

#4 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

I have now changed a lot of the weapon specific rules into weapon qualities and added some attachments too. The sporting rifles have also received a make over, most of them now come with targeting scopes (not the same as the multi-optic sight in EotE - they're cheaper). Also the detachable mod that Boehm talked about is inherent in a few of these, so I made it into a attachment/mod very much along side Boehm's suggestions. Once I have done some more I will post an update.

#5 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

Well done. I had some notes to do a similar document, but you beat me to it. :)

#6 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

Please post it, I'd love to see a different, or another, take on these things. I'm mainly just jotting down what I deem to be "about right" adding rules or qualities or attachments as I go - when the ones in EotE doesn't fit.

I have now a 1.8.5 doc, not uploaded yet (perhaps tomorrow), with melee weapons too, slugthrowers, repeaters, sporting rifles, ion guns. I have not done the disruptors - mainly because these were never used by my players, nor have I done dart pistols, wrist weapons or flechette launchers. Dart and wrist weapons I want to, but I'd like some help or inspiration on that.

Additionally I need some ideas for armour conversions, more armour attachments and more general fringers gear and equipment. EotE is pretty ok on that part, but there's always room for more.

#7 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

double-post galore. I might as well use it for something else.

I have been inspired by some of your work Sturn, so you're credited (at least in the 1.8.5+, I didn't find the thread before after posting the 1.8 version so I couldn't remember who) - particularly your retractable/detachalbe stock and the take on the DL-22 loosened some obstacles in me head.

#8 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Here is the latest version.

#9 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Any feedback and commentary is appreciated.

I've been performing some smaller adjustments to guns, attachments - like the blaster actuating module flop I managed to put in there, its gone now, it made no sense to replace a maintenance penalty with an inaccuracy quality. It will be gone in the next version.

Furthermore I have two very similar negative qualities, poor stun setting and weak stun setting - these usually pop up in pistols that have boosted damage from the get go. The poor stun setting adds setback dice to stun attack, but stun damage is the same. Weak stun setting decreases stun damage, but is as easy to hit with as a normal lethal attack. I'm not sure both are needed, but looking at the A&EG description of some of the guns, it seems its warranted. I'd like feedback on these, if they are scaled well, if they are pointless or anything reall.

The Magenitc-pommel attachment, inspired by someone on these boards, need some suggestions on how to be handled.

The Improved Stun Capabilities attachment could probably also benefit from some feedback, alongside the improved stun setting quality.

Feedback on how to handle the Fragile and Durable weapon qualities better would be nice, alongside the High-maintenance quality.

Auto-fire friendly needs some commentary and suggestions for improvement… both in mechanics and a new name.

Limited range has been changed to upgrading difficulty instead of increasing it. I wonder if this should be tiered quality in some way. Some ideas here would be nice.

Quiet and Silent are very much the same really, should these be merged? Same with High-energy consumption and Small Power pack really, they are mainly distinct because during conversion and reading about the different weapons their limited ammo or tendency to run out of ammo where rationalised differently - hence two very alike qualities, should they be made into one for simplicity?

What are your thoughts on the Slow reload quality?

The Reach quality - its dumb I know, but for some reason it was the only thing I came up with when converting the Great Force Pike with reach…

All weapons have been updated and adjusted, like the ones that got inaccurate due to my misreading of blaster actuating module - will in the next version not have this quality, that is unless their weapon description in A&EG or some of the WEG sources states that its inaccurate or similar.

Any of the not already mentioned weapons attachments need adjustment and commentary - perhaps not so acutely as the ones above though.

I'd really, really, really like some comments and feedback on the starship. I know they are not very well balanced as they are now. I need in particular comments on silhouettes, Hull Integrity, Strain Threshold, customisation hardpoints, defences and armour. Of course anything is up for debate, except names and production company

A note on encumbrance: I have not converted tons to enc - the capacity is still in metric tons. If anyone has a good idea of how to convert metric tons to encumbrance, please tell me.

#10 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing. I know the starship weapons are not updated as per week 8 update. It will be done for the next version.

#11 Locksathy

Locksathy

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I love your work!

Small thingy I noticed though: I think the V-Wing is not in the correct section since its a starfighter….

#12 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Locksathy said:

I love your work!

Small thingy I noticed though: I think the V-Wing is not in the correct section since its a starfighter….

Thanks for the praise.

The V-wing is not in the wrong place, as I've been sorting the different starships after manufacturer not type or size. It is, aside from the uglies, the only starfighter in there - if I remember correctly - and it might be a better fit for the known threats supplement, although initially there was only going to be one supplement for pirates, smugglers and everyone.

#13 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

So, I'm getting close … if anyone is missing a ship they want converted and included in this supplement please holler and wave. Same goes for any gear and other stuff that you want to see converted and fits into a guide of this nature.

#14 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Woohoo!  Our work on the Wayfarer is in this update! 

Edit: I'm 'Theo' from the d20radio forums.

#15 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Huh?

Ah! I see! Yes, I added the updated version, simply because it is now superior collaboration takes us to a better tomorrow methinks!

#16 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Jegergryte said:

Oh my, it seems its the odt file and not a pdf. Give me a sec.

Google Docs can auto-convert them…

#17 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

That is certainly true.

#18 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

Here's the latest version.

Changes includes some boxes for special ammo, grappling suggestions. New font to look and feel slightly more like EotE - the actualy font costs somewhere between $20 and $70 so I'm not paying that. Additionally I've added some more "mundane" gear for those that feel that is needed - some rules on datapads and data archives. I have also added two starship attachments that Jedimerc did most of the work on.

Furthermore I've added a few weapons here and there, I think, not sure how much new weapons since last version, but some.

I have also, I think, added more armour and armour attachments - unless they were in the last version too (I loose track doing this simultaneously with a depressing research project).

There might also be other stuff in there that I have not mentioned here.

Now please, I beg - once more - for feedback. While I do enjoy praise and ego-stroking, I do wish for constructive and maiming critique too - as long as its within the premises of the supplement. I know that lots probably think that having detailed and very minor differences between certain guns is pointless, and I can see that reasoning, but I'm not in complete agreement, which is why I'm doing this. So… yes. What I want feedback on is stuff like hardpoints, hull threshold, strain threshold for starship (I have yet to add any other types of vehicles), hardpoints for weapons, the attachments (weapons, armour and starships), the new qualities and… yes. That's about it…

EDIT: Managed to mess something up. Should be ok now.

EDIT2: FFS! Now… at least I won't mess with it anymore even if its still messed up (its only a minor detail, but I'm peculiar about that).

#19 jedimerc

jedimerc

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think, from the perspective of the game setting itself, you have a great catalog of items.  I had forgotten how many YT-series transports alone existed (between SW Gamer and Pirates and Privateers, quite a few transports overall).  I think the feel would be more complete, especially in the weapon entries if the damage was simply listed instead of  the entries 'like blaster pistol'.  I admit, it can be tedious to have the same damage, and since this is not a random damage dice system one cannot make damage variances really (no 3d4+1 or 3d6-2, etc).  Still, maybe it is from seeing the way those states were constructed in the A and E book and Gallandinium's and other supplements, it does not feel right to my eye.  I think it is probably aesthetic more than anything.  Otherwise, the overall effort and work makes for a very solid supplement.  It is nice to see so much fan-created stuff so early on before even the game is fully released.  It will be interesting to see what the designers come up with and change if they release similar supplements.

#20 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Yeah I thought about the stats stuff, but I was wondering about the soundness of reproducing stats from the published book… it was also easier when I started it because I didn't have the EotE book with me at the time. I'll consider that for the next version. Thanks

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS