Epic Moments of X-Wing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Okay, we're all here so we all know about them.  What are some of the epic moments, or even blunders, you've already experienced? 

Most of mine have been blunders, unfortunately.  Like a TIE Fighter with one hull point left before achieving it's objective, an X-Wing that struck it with one hit, and having four dice turn up blank.  Then, the time I turned left with Vader instead of right like I thought I'd turned the dial to, driving him off the board instead of mowing down the last fighter and ceding the game my opponent. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#2 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

2 TIE fighters just behind an Xwing at range 1, next move Xwing did a forward 1, both TIEs did a straight 3, Xwing OHKOs a TIE at range 1 on that very turn, torpedoes the other one at range 3 on the next turn, killing both while taking only a total of 1 shield damage

oh, and the front backstabber, freaking funny when you see it in action

#3 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

the first game i played against a friend , my 2 TIE torched his X wing easely only for the next game his sole Y wing nuking both TIEs!

#4 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

Duraham said:

2 TIE fighters just behind an Xwing at range 1, next move Xwing did a forward 1, both TIEs did a straight 3, Xwing OHKOs a TIE at range 1 on that very turn, torpedoes the other one at range 3 on the next turn, killing both while taking only a total of 1 shield damage

You pulled a Top Gun (a "Maverick", if you will) -- Maverick: "I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by."  Nice! :-)
Now, who would be crazy . . . err smart enough to pull off something like that in the GFFA?

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Epic is probably an overstatement, but my favorite moment was taking two Y-wings against two X-wings. In the opening volley, my Y-wings' proton torpedoes decimated Wedge and R2-D2. Then we ionized the last X-wing to oblivion. It was a good day to be a Y-wing pilot.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Duraham said:

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.  

#7 The Strange Dude

The Strange Dude

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Here is in a picture my epic moment in x-wing I have entitled this 'Here's what you can do with your ion cannon'

This was from a recent game where the imperials had been harassed by a y-wing sporting an ion cannon and R2D2 I was in control of the left TIE Backstabber and my team-mate was in control of the other Mauler Mithel needless to say the ywing was far less healthy after the shooting phase and dead the next turn. It was just a beautiful moment of perfect maneuver choosing by us and a real oh crap moment for our opponent.

Special mention should also go to my friend you invented his own maneuver 'The Dixon Dive' when he preformed a koiogan (boy butchered that word) turn and rather misjudged the distance and his x-wing was left showing it's butt to the entire imperial squadron.

#8 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

My third game in a two on two situation saw a Red squadron X-Wing get ripped apart by Academy pilots killing him very quickly.  The red squadron pilot only managed a single shot doing 1 damage to a TIE.  This only left my Gold squadron Y-Wing (which was my first time using the awesome fighter bombers) who had been ignored by the two imperial players. 

After dealing with the X-Wing they both turned on the Y-Wing and were shocked when a number of terrible die rolls resulted in blank shots for three rounds of fighting, where as the Y-Wing managed to hit with all of it attacks and manage to take down both TIE's on its own.  From then on I have been taking a Y-Wing into all my battles, it just seems like my lucky fighter.

#9 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

ThadiusCole said:

My third game in a two on two situation saw a Red squadron X-Wing get ripped apart by Academy pilots killing him very quickly.  The red squadron pilot only managed a single shot doing 1 damage to a TIE.  This only left my Gold squadron Y-Wing (which was my first time using the awesome fighter bombers) who had been ignored by the two imperial players. 

After dealing with the X-Wing they both turned on the Y-Wing and were shocked when a number of terrible die rolls resulted in blank shots for three rounds of fighting, where as the Y-Wing managed to hit with all of it attacks and manage to take down both TIE's on its own.  From then on I have been taking a Y-Wing into all my battles, it just seems like my lucky fighter.

…..or maybe the Force was just with that particular pilot? 

#10 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

CaptainRook said:

ThadiusCole said:

It certainly was for my die rolls :)

#11 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

ThadiusCole said:

CaptainRook said:

ThadiusCole said:

It certainly was for my die rolls :)

Kinda the opposite for me in the last game when I was able to roll the most dice I've ever been able to defend with and only needed to avoid one hit and rolled all blanks.  I still won, though…I just didn't win in the humiliating fashion I had intended to.

#12 mwodom

mwodom

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was part of a game last night where the Imperial side consisted of three tie advanced and the rebel side was one x-wing and two y-wings(six players). The playing area was about 3' by 6' and there were twelve asteroids. All of us managed to collide with the exact same asteroid at least once. Both y-wings had ion cannons and that accounted for a few of the collisions but the rest of the time it was just bad tactics and horrible luck.

#13 BobaKenobi

BobaKenobi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Best for me happened in two games right in a row. First round proton torpedo strike to Mauler, no saves for him, all blanks. Pretty crazy and fun.

#14 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

My Epic Moment happened to me twice in consecutive games.  In both games I was running Vader, and in both games he went from unscratched to dead in 1 game round.

He was attacked by 2 X-Wings, the first one took down his shields then the second one scored 3 hits to my no dodges.  I couldn't believe it the first time it happened and was even more stunned the second time.  The Force definitely wasn't with my die rolls (all blanks both times).

#15 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

Playing on friday night. Had only Wedge left against 3 very damaged ties and a half damaged Tie/Adv.

Wedge and Tie/adv facing each other just out of range to shoot. Tried to pull a koiogran turn but the Tie/adv did an unexpected 2 straight. I collided and ended up with my back to the Tie/adv and in firing sights of all 3 other ties…. and no action. Opponent killed Wedge from full strength with cluster missles… didnt even have to use the other ties..

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS