Basic strategy suggestions, please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lostcymbrogi

lostcymbrogi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I posed a idea earlier which you guys answered very well. It set me to thinking I might be approaching this game wrong. I know this is a game that has a heavy chance factor, but on your forums I've seen references to an overall strategy. With that in mind I have a few questions. what would be your overall strategy for a strength based char, a craft char with the ability to use it, and a char that accidentally levels craft vs strength because of bad rolls in battles and good ones in psychic combat. With craft in mind is there a way to farm spells? Also when engaging in pvp can you take a follower instead of an object and do mules, etc cind themselves up for grabs in such a situation? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your patience.

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

lostcymbrogi said:

Also when engaging in pvp can you take a follower instead of an object and do mules, etc cind themselves up for grabs in such a situation? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your patience.

Can't take a Follower as Reward.

This thread should give you some insight:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/438714/the-strategic-decisions-of-talisman

If freetime is no problem, read the rest of the threads in the Strategy section, just be mindful that some things have altered as there are threads initially written for the BI 4th Edition, not Revised 4th Edition.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

The wondrous allure of Talisman is having to adopt many different strategies dependant on the character.  Each character has advantages and yes the game is very chance heavy (which is also why the game is so addictive cos it's always different) but the tactical skill factor comes from being able to utilise your characters advantages and spells at the opportune times to get that bit further ahead. 

My fave moments are really studying a characters capabilities in relation to the rest of the game and looking forward to every card reveal to see if I can capitalise on it in some way beyond letting the dice fall where they may which admittadly counts for a great portion of the game.

My advice is to get Talisman prolouge.  Each character has a training mission that makes great use of their abilities to succeed, and all the following misions build on it it some way.  The warrior for example is quite straight forward:

-  Simultaneously attempt to find weapons or gold (to purchase weapons if you cant find any).  Either by choosing draw card spaces or fighting other characters and taking their gold.  Try and get 2 weapons

-  then fight as much as possible to gain strength upgrades.

Because of the warriors combat ability and no of starting lives he can challenge tougher enemies earlier in the game which if successfull will reap benefits for high value trophies.  Beat on any other characters if they find any strength related objects.

Finally try and make use of the ruins space as much as possible to find all important strength objects and monsters to fight.

Ironically I was playing the warrior in a 3rd edition game recently and I won the game through the use of a spell and not strength.  I encountered the demigod who granted the Finger of Death spell.  I then casually strode into the dragons tower and zapped the wee beastie with my unholy digit and claimed victory.  Just goes to show the nature of Talisman and how things can change dramatically.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS