Parrying weapons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xathrodox86

Xathrodox86

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Quick question. In the rulebook it says that I need a melee weapon to parry an oponent's attack. I was wondering if it's possible to parry a melee attack with  ranged weapon like stub pistol or lasgun? Would it be also possible to block an enemy melee weapon attack with just a hand? I know that I've read somewhere about that possibility (official DH source material perhaps?). I think this would be possible if a person would be wearing heavy armour like a plate, a carapace or a power armour, and the opponent's weapon would not possess certain qualities like mono or a power field. Any ideas on that matter?

Check out my wargaming blog "It Always Rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust doze of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed.  ;) 

#2 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Xathrodox86 said:

Quick question. In the rulebook it says that I need a melee weapon to parry an oponent's attack. I was wondering if it's possible to parry a melee attack with  ranged weapon like stub pistol or lasgun? Would it be also possible to block an enemy melee weapon attack with just a hand? I know that I've read somewhere about that possibility (official DH source material perhaps?). I think this would be possible if a person would be wearing heavy armour like a plate, a carapace or a power armour, and the opponent's weapon would not possess certain qualities like mono or a power field. Any ideas on that matter?

There are no rules about parrying with a stub pistol or lasgun that I am aware of.  (unless the lasgun has the melee attachment upgrade)  By Rules As Written I do not believe you can.

However, I treat things like rifles as improvised melee weapons with all of the corresponding rules.  So this opens up some possibility.

No, you can't block a melee attack with a hand.  That would be exactly the same as saying the opponent gets a successful strike to your arm.  You might be able to argue that a successful parry attempt with your arm would result in the arm being damaged instead of say…the head.  Still, this starts introducing a slippery slope of arguments that I don't advise going down.

#3 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

I might allow parrying melee weapon attacks unarmed only if you have both of the Unarmed Talents (one increases the damage your unamred attacks do, the other allows you to count as armed when making attacks.)

Because you count as armed, I might allow it. However, you might want to avaoid parrying Power weapons. Just saying.

As for using a bolt gun: I would allow it as an improvised weapon, so long as it's a basic weapon (pistols are generally too small to be used to parry, I would think.) However, on a successful parry, I might roll damage and apply it instead to the weapon. So maybe your bolt gun would become useless and need to be repaired, or gain the unreliable quality or something. And of course: see my previous point about power weapons.

You'd be better off getting a melee attachment for ther gun instead.

#4 Maverikk

Maverikk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

In our group if you are considered armed Via Unarmed Warrior or Unarmed Master then we allow parrying weapons. The idea being you dont put your hand into the chainsword to slow it down you grab their wrist and push it aside or whatever.

#5 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Why don't you just roll Dodge instead?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#6 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

Why don't you just roll Dodge instead?

low agility roll? no access to dodge skill yet? agility damage/penalty?

#7 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

Use an armored gauntlet.  Catching blades and deflecting Eviscerators with your barehands is beyond the pale.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS