Jump to content



Photo

Japanese Expansion?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jtyler66

jtyler66

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

 Any word on when we are going to have an expansion that features the Japanese?



#2 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

There is never any word from FFG, they dont seem to care about the ToI system.

FotB was released some 2 years ago and they still havent fixed the errors with that expansion (and there are alot)

 



#3 Kingtiger

Kingtiger

    Member

  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

I wouldn't say that they don't care. The problem for them is probably that TOI is not much of a cash cow for them. Obviously the blame for that lies with FFG for not supporting the game enough, and perhaps even more importantly, for the enormous quantity of ill-balanced scenarios that they're not really doing much about to fix anymore.

I personally find TOI one of the very best tactical miniature wargames I own that has a lot of potential, but it does require more commitment from the comapny!



#4 jtyler66

jtyler66

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

 That's a shame, because it is one of my favorite tactical war games and to not see the Japanese featured in this game is huge let down.



#5 thordred

thordred

    Member

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

I would love a Japanese expansion but more importantly, I would like more of the scenario books.  Also more packs of soldiers and cards.

I have yet to pickup the Russian expansion because I'm waiting for them to revise it before I pick it up.



#6 Haloon

Haloon

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Kingtiger said:

I wouldn't say that they don't care. The problem for them is probably that TOI is not much of a cash cow for them. Obviously the blame for that lies with FFG for not supporting the game enough, and perhaps even more importantly, for the enormous quantity of ill-balanced scenarios that they're not really doing much about to fix anymore.

I personally find TOI one of the very best tactical miniature wargames I own that has a lot of potential, but it does require more commitment from the comapny!

 

In my opinion, FFG is now focus on their LCG. :/



#7 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Kingtiger said:

I wouldn't say that they don't care. The problem for them is probably that TOI is not much of a cash cow for them. Obviously the blame for that lies with FFG for not supporting the game enough, and perhaps even more importantly, for the enormous quantity of ill-balanced scenarios that they're not really doing much about to fix anymore.

I personally find TOI one of the very best tactical miniature wargames I own that has a lot of potential, but it does require more commitment from the comapny!

Exactly, "ToI is not much of a cash cow" this means they dont care about supporting the game and its fans. Money makes companies care!

Personally I have found the lock n load serise and it has become my favoriate tactical game now, there is more detail to the rules (some which I wished were used in some way in ToI) yet I found it quicker to pick up then ToI. So many more options open to the players. Its been around longer than ToI and it always has something in the pipline and the designer is always communitcating with the community.

It dosnt use minis but counters, which to start with I was a little stand offish, as i do like minis, but after playing the game i dont care about that sort of thing anymore, plus the artwork is amazing.



#8 dutchy124

dutchy124

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

 I bought the base game after watching the video back in 2007, in which the CEO and the game designers ran through the basics of the game, but more importantly to me the CEO stated they would be producing a Pacific expansion. I recently wrote an email addressed to the CEO asking if he was going to be true to his word, a reply came from customer services saying check on the website for any news. I replied that I had addressed the email to the CEO and would like an answer form him. Silence. He has in my mind been very rude in not answering a question directed at him personally, and certainly no way to run a customer based business.

 

If enough people deluge customer services with a request for some information then maybe and it is a big maybe, they will post some news on the site.



#9 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I have sent many emails to Rob (the designer of FotB) asking when a FAQ / eratta would be released for the expansion. As well as individal question relating to rules and unclear scenarios.

Below is a response I got a year ago when asking about a FAQ.

 

"I am unsure about the scheduling of an FAQ/Errata. I am polishing up a 
project right now. After that, I can see about putting one on the 
schedule."

Thanks

FFG

 

And thats all i have received although I have tried to clear up unclear rules with them many times. Myself and others have repeatedly email FFG trying to get more information but they never get back to us.
 



#10 dutchy124

dutchy124

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

 Which Lock n Load game are you referring to?



#11 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have been playing,

band of heroes (US Airbourne in Normandy)

Heroes of the blitzkrieg (France 1940)

Plus the expansions:

No one step back (Russian expansion)

Swift & Bold (British Airbourne exp)

Dark July (Kursk exp)

Noville (adds regular US troops, plus is a linked campaign exp for fighting around Noville)

and soon to ship is the expansion adding the british to the 1940 cmpaign (HotB)



#12 dutchy124

dutchy124

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

 Hey Digger, sorry for being stupid, but I have been on the Lock n Load site and can't find the games you are referring to. Any chanve of sending me a link? Did you buy them directly from LL or from an Aussie supplier? I was looking at the P500 Japanese game.



#13 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

 i bought some from here in Oz and some from LnL

javascript:void(0);/*1350887192494*/

This is the list of all the titles in the LnL series



#14 Sayburr

Sayburr

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well, this is disappointing, maybe I should have done a little more research before I bought the base game and the expansions.  I got a box in the mail yesterday that weighed in at just under 30 lbs… Tide of Iron with Fox, Normady, Designer Series, and Bear… I guess I should have saved my $200 for a system that was still being supported.



#15 Grand Stone

Grand Stone

    Member

  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Jupp. And some time ago FFG wanted to clean their forums from critisism. That irritated me.

 

Its still a good game, just DONT under any circumstance assume that a given oficial scenario is playable. Read about the spesific scenario apriori. Then you will find the great scenarios whish is just wonderfull.



#16 CrazyJones

CrazyJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am waiting for the japanese expansion.  And too for an expansion that include Poland and France invasion.



#17 Kingtiger

Kingtiger

    Member

  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

CrazyJones said:

I am waiting for the japanese expansion.  And too for an expansion that include Poland and France invasion.

 

We might see these at some point in time, I hope. My bet would be on seeing a Stalingrad expansion next: Days of the fox gave us half of a Bristish army (as compared with the sizes of the german and US armies in the base game) and Normandy provided us with the other half. Similarly, FoTB gave us half a Russian army leading me to think that a Stalingrad expansion would provide us with the other half so larger scenarios can be played.



#18 Grand Stone

Grand Stone

    Member

  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

 

FoTB gave us a beautiful russian army with nice fun stats for their tanks etc. However, I still havent played with them, cuz there scenarios are mostly broken. I do want to play the last one at some time, but its monsterly big so its not the first thing which happens. I would be suppriced if they dont make scenarios which requier all the expansions at some time.

 

 

However, what I do want from a japanese expansion, is fanatic japanese infanteri, and real amphibius landings including some time in the water. Just imagine the bloody omaha scenario if the germans could

I) Fire at the US landing ships BEFORE they reach the beach.  If each landing transport includes two infanteri, sinking of any one of the would be costly.

You could include an extra random-ness for attacks at sea. A lightly damaged whatever sinks at the roll of 5-6 on a die roll. Maybe some infanteri could survive by swiming ashore. (cost 4 movement per hex)

II) all US infanteri in bloody omaha  enters the beach by movement or fire & movement action.

III) and just imagine the bloody omaha battle if not all infanteri apears at the same time. Would you then apply the same tactic for the US?

 

This would lead to bloody battles, and a lot of carnage even before the US has been able to fire a single shot. Obviusly the bloody omaha scenario would need to be rebalanced.

 

Another thing to include would obviusly be a US/Japanese combined air strategy deck.

A third thing would be jungle map. With no or little visibility.

 

But then, I'll rather take good scenarios over new stuff any time.



#19 Kingtiger

Kingtiger

    Member

  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

Grand Stone said:

 

FoTB gave us a beautiful russian army with nice fun stats for their tanks etc. However, I still havent played with them, cuz there scenarios are mostly broken. I do want to play the last one at some time, but its monsterly big so its not the first thing which happens. I would be suppriced if they dont make scenarios which requier all the expansions at some time.

 

 

However, what I do want from a japanese expansion, is fanatic japanese infanteri, and real amphibius landings including some time in the water. Just imagine the bloody omaha scenario if the germans could

I) Fire at the US landing ships BEFORE they reach the beach.  If each landing transport includes two infanteri, sinking of any one of the would be costly.

You could include an extra random-ness for attacks at sea. A lightly damaged whatever sinks at the roll of 5-6 on a die roll. Maybe some infanteri could survive by swiming ashore. (cost 4 movement per hex)

II) all US infanteri in bloody omaha  enters the beach by movement or fire & movement action.

III) and just imagine the bloody omaha battle if not all infanteri apears at the same time. Would you then apply the same tactic for the US?

 

This would lead to bloody battles, and a lot of carnage even before the US has been able to fire a single shot. Obviusly the bloody omaha scenario would need to be rebalanced.

 

Another thing to include would obviusly be a US/Japanese combined air strategy deck.

A third thing would be jungle map. With no or little visibility.

 

But then, I'll rather take good scenarios over new stuff any time.

 

Infantry should arrive with a move or move and fire anyway in Omaha beach. Now they just start with initiative and combine fire against a bunker or two and take them out.

 

I agree. Some more sea hexes would be great!



#20 Kingtiger

Kingtiger

    Member

  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Some much better balanced scenarios featuring the Russians can be found over at www.brummbar44.com (Red House and Factory Fortresses and more).

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS