Falcon/Slave One Scale

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Roo-Fan Timmo

Roo-Fan Timmo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

Can anyone tell me how the Falcon and Slave One measure up against the X-Wing/TIE Fighters for scale? Are they roughly the same scale (big) or are they shrunk down (like the old WoTC miniatures)? 

#2 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Falcon and Slave I are the same scale (1/270th) as the current ships.  FFG has consistently stated how critical keeping the ships in scale is for ranges/movement, etc.  Which is why I doubt we'll ever see anything much bigger in the game (and I'm glad of that)!

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#3 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Emrico said:

Falcon and Slave I are the same scale (1/270th) as the current ships.  FFG has consistently stated how critical keeping the ships in scale is for ranges/movement, etc.  Which is why I doubt we'll ever see anything much bigger in the game (and I'm glad of that)!

Jim

Didn't they call the Falcon and Slave I "medium" size ships somewhere? I thought they did.

#4 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

ShadowJak said:

Emrico said:

Jim

Didn't they call the Falcon and Slave I "medium" size ships somewhere? I thought they did.

I think maybe that was in one video press release or something.  But even if they come out with something twice as big as the Falcon for a "large" ship, I still wouldn't consider that to be that huge when compared to other ships in the Star Wars Universe (Star Destroyers, etc).  That's kind of what I meant about not seeing many that are much bigger.  I doubt we'll ever see true capital ships in this game (and that's a good thing, IMO).  Save those for a fleet style game in a different scale!

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#5 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Emrico said:

ShadowJak said:

Emrico said:

Jim

I think maybe that was in one video press release or something.  But even if they come out with something twice as big as the Falcon for a "large" ship, I still wouldn't consider that to be that huge when compared to other ships in the Star Wars Universe (Star Destroyers, etc).  That's kind of what I meant about not seeing many that are much bigger.  I doubt we'll ever see true capital ships in this game (and that's a good thing, IMO).  Save those for a fleet style game in a different scale!

Jim

I would like to see some small frigates. Another post has one someone scratch built and it look great flying in formation with TIEs.

#6 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Emrico said:

Jim

Capitol ships are like Star Wars' Pandora's Box as far as gaming is concerned, and I am satisfied that Fantasy Flight has no interest in even peeking inside of it.  I believe many of us have witnessed what a disappointment of imbalance that could be.  I wouldn't mind another attempt at a Capitol Ship game, but I'd rather it be separate from this. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#7 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

ShadowJak said:

Emrico said:

Jim

Yes, I'm absolutely sure they did.  All the early news about the new size of ships referred to them as 'medium' also.  I've dug through everything I can find from FFG though and can't find the reference.  I suspect they realized calling them 'medium' hinted at a larger class of ships and perhaps retroactively modified some news releases.

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I saw both models (slave I and the Falcon) at Gencon and they were huge.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

At 1:270 scale, the Millennium Falcon should be 3.89 inches long (or 9.89 cm).  That is pretty big.

Slave One will be 3.13" / 7.96 cm tall, and almost as wide, not including mounting pegs!  If those are "medium", I'd love to see some "large" ships :-P

#10 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

The falcon should actually be roughly 12.8cm long.  Going off the Star Wars websites length of 34.75m.  Slave 1 should be about 7.9 cm tall and just a little less wide.

#11 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

You're totally right; not sure how I botched that conversion.  That's just over 5 inches long!  I like :)

#12 Quarren

Quarren

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

ShadowJak said:

Emrico said:

The pre-release wave 2 description describes them as Large Ships… which would suggest that this is as big as they are likely to get.

#13 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

We have had this large vs. medium discussion here several times before. The only mention of "medium" ships from FFG (not just a forum poster) is in a casual comment made in passing during a video interview with a secondary game designer at a convention. In cotext, he seemed to be using the term loosely, not defining the term "medium" in the way "large" has been defined in written materials from FFG. The Falcon and Slave 1are the large ships.

The rules book mentions that "large" ships are coming, and then, according to the Falcon description on the website: "New rules expand the X-Wing galaxy to include large ships and modifications."

Although some people have made cool custom scenarios using paper models, printed playmats, or other repurposed models, it's just not realistic to think that FFG would publish models that take up half of a standard play field and can't move, in a game built on maneuvering around and dogfighting.

Maybe we can put this "medium ship" thing to rest, unless FFG actually announces something different. Then I would retract everything I just posted. :)

Be seeing you.

#14 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

magadizer said:

We have had this large vs. medium discussion here several times before. The only mention of "medium" ships from FFG (not just a forum poster) is in a casual comment made in passing during a video interview with a secondary game designer at a convention. In cotext, he seemed to be using the term loosely, not defining the term "medium" in the way "large" has been defined in written materials from FFG. The Falcon and Slave 1are the large ships.

The rules book mentions that "large" ships are coming, and then, according to the Falcon description on the website: "New rules expand the X-Wing galaxy to include large ships and modifications."

Although some people have made cool custom scenarios using paper models, printed playmats, or other repurposed models, it's just not realistic to think that FFG would publish models that take up half of a standard play field and can't move, in a game built on maneuvering around and dogfighting.

Maybe we can put this "medium ship" thing to rest, unless FFG actually announces something different. Then I would retract everything I just posted. :)

You just smashed everyone's hopes and dreams. Good job.

#15 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

Mission accomplished!

Be seeing you.

#16 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I am happy with the fact that these ships will represent the large scale models for the game since it is meant to run on the idea of dogfighting and introducing larger scale ships would move it into the realms of wargaming akin to other companies.  That is not to say I wouldn't welcome FFG brining out a warship game based on Star Wars in the future since they make some great miniatures.

I would be interested to see where they go after this expansion set.  It's a given that the B-Wing and TIE Bomber will enter the battle, but if they intend to bring in more larger ships like the Falcon they may need to dig into the Expanded universe, unless they go into the clone wars which has more vessels to choose from I guess.

#17 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

ThadiusCole said:

I am happy with the fact that these ships will represent the large scale models for the game since it is meant to run on the idea of dogfighting and introducing larger scale ships would move it into the realms of wargaming akin to other companies.  That is not to say I wouldn't welcome FFG brining out a warship game based on Star Wars in the future since they make some great miniatures.

I agree.  Also, the radically different sizes of capital vessels in Star Wars makes for a nightmare in proper scaling.  I also don't feel that the current combat and movement system would truly reflect how those types of craft are employed.  That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a separate game with capital vessels, but I doubt that will ever happen(particularly after Starship Battles).  I think they made the perfect choice with giving us vehicular combat at this level and based it on an already proven and successful system.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#18 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

radiskull said:

At 1:270 scale, the Millennium Falcon should be 3.89 inches long (or 9.89 cm).  That is pretty big.

Slave One will be 3.13" / 7.96 cm tall, and almost as wide, not including mounting pegs!  If those are "medium", I'd love to see some "large" ships :-P

No kidding , Makes one think what there version of large will be if they consider making large ships.

#19 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

I just pre- orderd my Slave1, I wish I knew the stats on it so I could create a 100pt list for it, I just hope it's not insanly expensive on point cost becase im going to be so tempted to deck it out in all its weapons that I possibly can.  I would love to have the slave 1 and two TIE advanced and whatever else I could fit in for a list. but I dont think ill know how list builds for the slave1 will work untill December.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS