Balance issues-Easily correctable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostcymbrogi

lostcymbrogi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

I only have up through the Frostmarch expansion so far, but the more I play it the more I see clear balance issues in how some chars develop on the board vs other chars. The biggest one seems to be sometimes a char develops a lot of craft, but can't choose to use it as their primary ability so is effectively restricted to being a low level character. It seems to me the simplest solution would be to let the attacker choose which ability to use, craft or strength, against other player characters regardless of what kind of char they have. I have considered implementing this as a house rule and I suspect it would also shorten game play slightly. Any thoughts?

#2 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Personally, I think the lack of balance between characters is one of the things that makes Talisman fun. Sure, the Priest may suck in comparison to most(all characters?) , but  overcoming your character's weaknesses while harnessing the strengths is a fun experience in itself. 

#3 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

lostcymbrogi said:

I only have up through the Frostmarch expansion so far, but the more I play it the more I see clear balance issues in how some chars develop on the board vs other chars. The biggest one seems to be sometimes a char develops a lot of craft, but can't choose to use it as their primary ability so is effectively restricted to being a low level character. It seems to me the simplest solution would be to let the attacker choose which ability to use, craft or strength, against other player characters regardless of what kind of char they have. I have considered implementing this as a house rule and I suspect it would also shorten game play slightly. Any thoughts?

Since this would only apply to PvP, not sure it would speed things up, instead it would just increase PvP (as now low-Str, high-Craft characters could retaliated against high-Str characters taking their stuff).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#4 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Which will in  turn increase item trafficking between characters since every PVP encounter will likely  result in a victory of the  initiating character.

High-craft characters without psychic combat should  rely on their special or spell-casting abilities to  hinder high-Strength characters. Besides, the goal is not to be the best in PVP but using it only as one of the means for improving your character. The goal is  advancing towards the Crown. As soon as you hit 10 in your main stat, you're more or less prepared for the Inner Region(unless you're playing with the Dragon inlays).

#5 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

zealot12 said:

Personally, I think the lack of balance between characters is one of the things that makes Talisman fun. Sure, the Priest may suck in comparison to most(all characters?) , but  overcoming your character's weaknesses while harnessing the strengths is a fun experience in itself. 

I totally agree with you, we used to draw 3 char / player but now it's just draw one and play it :)
And as for the priest I used to hate him too but since last I played him hes grown on me. My strategy is to go for str as main skill by trying to get a sword etc as early as possible, head for the dungeon (it available) and then just blast all craft enemies (mostly spirits) and get spells while doing it.

As for allowing psychic combat pvp I think that would unbalance the game.. most chars lvl str anyways and str weapons are way more common so psychic combat pvp is a stronger ability than str pvp IMO and is therefore restricted to just some chars to level things out.

The fact that there are abilities that allow you to add your craft value to your str in battle (spells, war horse etc) and the opposite does not exist also adds to psychic combat being a stronger ability than str pvp.

A hint/tip: if you would like more craft pvp to be included to some amount, in the Blood Moon expansion there is a follower that allows the player to use craft pvp. This ability will also be available as an purchasable object (not sure exactly how this will work though but there is a pic of the card at talismanisland) in the upcoming City expansion. Dunno about the City but I thought Blood Moon was a really good exp :)

#6 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

The sword is of no use to the Priest since he can't use any weapons in battle. (;

The best use he has for Strength-modifying weapons is turning them to gold at the Alchemist, which yields a double benefit since thus he is able to get them out of reach of characters who can use them.

Praying and Exorcising/Spell gaining  are the Priest's only strengths so we just use them as effectively as possible.

Praying is especially  useful since it can be utilized in several places for leveling up and gaining various boons: let's see we have the Shrine, the Idol, the Temple, the Chapel, the Cathedral(Chapel replica), any of the followers, spells  and objects that further boost praying.  These are great assets for the Priest, plus he starts with 5 Fate which is a great balancing factor.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS