Experience with fan variants of game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anacreon

Anacreon

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

It's sad to see so few posts here these days.  I guess when nothing new has come out of FFG, then there's less to discuss.  So…

I am wondering if people have tried out any serious fan-developed variants?  I don't mean just house rules, but serious and well-crafted variants.  What have been your experience, if so? 

I have been looking up alternate character cards and also recently have decided that I will eventually try out - once it becomes completely available, hopefully soon -  what has been called the "Revelations" fan variant, which used a new set of "Faith" skill cards, has new Treachery variants, new Crisis and Super Crisis cards, includes a Rebel Cylon board for new human locations, additional character-like "cylon powers" for revealed cylons, and an additional (optional) "ending" variant based on the assault on the Cylon Colony in season 4 (might be too like NC but who knows).  I am willing even to shell out the money to buy a whole new core set just to get the needed equipment for new card backings after printing the new cards and putting them together with the base game cards in plastic sleeves.  I really want some new BSG.  That being said, of course I want it to be genuinely good stuff.  Thus, I'm wondering what experiences people have had. 

Cheers, fellow cylons.

#2 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

We havent tried any of them; we've looked over them a few times, but its really hard to judge what is going to work and what is just going to muck the game up and we're generally happy with the characters we have.  I'd also be interested in hearing what people think of them after playing a few different games.

#3 gumbuoy

gumbuoy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Probably the biggest variation we've tried is playing with 8 players, including 2 cylon leaders. It seemed to work okay, we just dumped all of the cylon leader goals together and shuffled them, so it was even money whether they would be for or against the humans.

In theory, I think it could even work with 9, the problem is (and we found this even with 8) it's so long between turns for each player, and it becomes harder to plan things until your move is 1 or 2 away.

I'd be interested in any new character sheets developed, not too enthused about new cards, but anything that pokes around the edges would be fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS