Photo

Dragons Deck as printed in Queen of dragons too powerful?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

After getting into Netrunner for the last couple of weeks, we decided to give AGoT LCG another try. I stopped collecting at about the time Queen of dragons was published and the Brotherhood cycle finished. Only bought the Lanni expansion after that.

So what happened when we played last time prior to yesterday, was that in a joust the slightly modified printed deck from the expansion slammed a well built but handmade brotherhood deck into the ground.

Last night I didn't stand a chance against it using my Stark/Tully Deck (also slightly modified from the Kings of Winter expansion).

Was that a) bad luck

b) my stupidity

c) a problem of playing in Joust and not in melee (where others can keep Targ in check too)

I got the feeling that the dragons are overpowered (also comparing cost/value with other 4 coin/4 strength characters) in fact I only survived round 4 by playing Valar Morghulis.

Any comments appreciated…

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#2 Endhill

Endhill

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Could of been just a good Targ deck he was playing or bad luck on your behalf. If it was stupidity I kind of guess you may have realised it by now, as by stupidity I take it that you mean general mistakes, ie, missing key opportunities, etc. How many games did you play, (although you got battered as you stated) if you only played, say, "best of 5" it could of been that he just had a good night where everything fell.

Or it could of been your build. Without knowing yours and his build, no one can really say without a degree of speculation as to why. And even with the latter knowledge at your disposal, it is at the least, hazardous to fore-see an outcome with any steadfast certainty. In my opinion.

Post the decks up and I'm sure some members will give you some helpful input.

#3 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Remember that the printed dragon deck came balanced out of the box.  Your newly-built deck might not have had the right distribution of cards/most efficient cards to run smoothly the first time.  Most decks that are built from the ground up take some time and play-testing to figure out ratios and just generally which effects work and which don't 

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#4 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

Vaapad said:

Remember that the printed dragon deck came balanced out of the box.  Your newly-built deck might not have had the right distribution of cards/most efficient cards to run smoothly the first time.  Most decks that are built from the ground up take some time and play-testing to figure out ratios and just generally which effects work and which don't 

Well it is the dragons deck that seems to wipe everything else away! It runs too smoothly if you are the opponent. Might be down to (bad) luck but it was a bit frustrating seeing that for the second time (although it was just one game each: one against brotherhood one against Stark).

Thanks for the feedback, anyway.

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#5 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

The general consensus is that dragons are weak in joust. They are very vulnerable to control. Any targeted kill that gets rid of Dany really hurts the deck. Any kneel (distraction in the core set) stops the multiple challenges with dragons. Think about the key elements to the dragons and how to control them. With the focus on lots of dupes of a few characters, that changes your approach. Blank the textbox (which includes traits) with nightmares.

#6 tibs3688

tibs3688

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

It sounds like you're playing non-control decks against it, and more importantly, mediocre decks in general.  The consensus from what I understand is that non-Martell Brotherhood is weak and a dedicated Tullies build I can personally attest is most definitely weak.  Since you have the Lannister box try making a Lannister kneeling deck to use against it.  With a focus on multiple copies of several 4 cost characters, a dragons deck should definitely be vulnerable to kneel.  Something like Shadows & Spiders should also be a problem for it as the dragons have no int icons.

#7 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

cheers I'll try that aproach. problem is that I provide the decks for all my players so I shouldn't make the Lannis too powerful, but I'll go for atry on kneeling.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS