R2F2 on Y wing feasible?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Just a quick thought experiment on whether using R2F2 to make a Y-wing equal to an X-wing would be worth it. Compared to either the target lock or focus actions it can take, which are of limited uses due to its very low attack and evade, you can use it to match an X-wing in terms of raw stats, especially if you are using horton, which pretty much gives you 3 attack dice. It is a rather pricey setup, but has potential to be that Y-wing setup that everybody dreams of, being a slightly beefier X-wing with ion cannons. Add gaven or dutch as support, and it does seem possible to pull of a Y-wing centered squad.

of course, R2F2 on a X-wing is more efficient, but I believe you now should be able to make the Y-wing into a more fearsome opponent, rather than just any regular damage sponge. Thoughts?

#2 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Personally unless it's Dutch I don't see the use in too many upgrades on the Y-Wing, and I like R5-K6 on him as he should always be target locking and not spending actions to do anything but target lock. With the Ion cannon the Y-Wing becomes very expensive very quickly. Usually I don't see my Y-Wing targeted much, and is almost always the last to be killed unless it's Dutch. People see the shields, the low mobility, and besides the Ion cannon no ability to attack and go for the X-Wing. Destroying an X-Wing early on cripples the rebels and it becomes an uphill battle.

But yea personally I wouldn't use R2F2 on them as I'd be more worried about sinking points into my X-Wings to keep them alive.

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

In a Y-wing-only squad, giving one of them R2-F2 isn't a bad idea. Personally, I think using target locks is better. Y-wings are playing the game of attrition. They need to knock out the enemies because it's only a matter of time before the Y-wings succumb to the enemy. That's why I've tried to go for more offensive Y-wings in the past. However, if you have one Gold Squadron Pilot with an Ion Cannon Turret and R2-F2, he can just focus on firing the ion cannon while avoiding laser fire. I could see it working. Maybe I'll give it a try some time.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

I would rather have an ion cannon with target locks on a Y-wing than anything else.  Y-wings need to be able to use the ion cannon effectively every chance it gets, and the only way to use it effectively is by adding a target lock.  The fact that I would have to give up the target lock in order to use R2-F2 makes it a non option for me.  Even though they get the extra agility from him, their movement dial is much to restrictive for the extra agility to matter.  There is no way for a Y-wing to keep up with even 1 TIE whether it be a TIE/ln or a TIE/Ad.  I don't care what its agility is.

The more I play this game, the more I am realizing that there are few upgrades that are really worth taking.  I would rather have more ships (Imperial or Rebel) with more attacks than a bunch of upgrades any day.  There are a few exceptions.  The first being that Y-wings need ion cannons.  I will never run a squad with a Y-wing that doesn't have ion cannons ever again. 

Roy

#5 chris cook

chris cook

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Why does the Y have to target lock instead of focus.  I thought the stats were worked out that Lock and Focus give you the same chance of hitting?

#6 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

chris cook said:

Why does the Y have to target lock instead of focus.  I thought the stats were worked out that Lock and Focus give you the same chance of hitting?

I prefer Target Lock on a Y-wing, even if the chance to hit is the same.  First, you can't change a focus result to a crit.  Rerolling with a Target Lock gives you that chance.  Second, if I don't need my Target Lock, it carries over to the next round, which gives me a chance to focus also.

Either way.  My point still stands.  All I'm trying to say is that paying the cost for R2-F2 plus having to give up an action (Target Lock or Focus) is not worth it.

Roy

#7 chrisrivers

chrisrivers

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

I have not had the chance to try it, but I think the generic R2 astromech would be useful for Y-wings.  The ability to make all speed 1 and 2 maneuvers green help maneuverability when stressed and allows the use of more red maneuvers since it is easier to remove the stress token.  The ability does not use up an action either.

Chris

#8 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Another reason to Target Lock instead of Focus with a Y-Wing is to give the option to use your Torps on a target of opportunity. I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my Torpedos when running my 3 Y-Wing squad. But you have to provide yourself the ability to use them when the opportunity is there.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#9 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

chrisrivers said:

I have not had the chance to try it, but I think the generic R2 astromech would be useful for Y-wings.  The ability to make all speed 1 and 2 maneuvers green help maneuverability when stressed and allows the use of more red maneuvers since it is easier to remove the stress token.  The ability does not use up an action either.

Chris

My recommendation is to always equip with Ion Cannons and never stress the ship.  Since you can fire at any angle, just use your turns.  Then you have no need for the R2 astromech.  Just my 2 cents.

Roy

#10 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Emrico said:

Another reason to Target Lock instead of Focus with a Y-Wing is to give the option to use your Torps on a target of opportunity. I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my Torpedos when running my 3 Y-Wing squad. But you have to provide yourself the ability to use them when the opportunity is there.

Jim

I used to LOVE torpedoes!  But I have since changed my mind about them.  I'm all about making the most of every point that goes into my squad, and proton torpedoes just don't make the cut for me any more.  The torpedoes give you one chance to roll 4 dice, but in the end if the torpedo doesn't hit, then its a wasted 4 points.  The only ship I like torpedoes on is Wedge, by decreasing the defenders agility (X-wing = 1, Y-wing = 0, TIEs = 2) its a much better chance at a hit.  But I try to stay away from them altogether.

I haven't run a 3 Y-wing squad, but just doesn't seem like my cup of tea.  My new favorite squad is…

#11 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

My new fav squad

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Wedge Antillies
X-Wing
Upgrades: R2-D2

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1
X-Wing
Upgrades: No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Gold Squadron Pilot 1
Y-Wing
Upgrades: Ion Cannon Turret

Pilot: Gold Squadron Pilot 2
Y-Wing
Upgrades: Ion Cannon Turret

I like Y-wings, but they don't do enough damage on their own.  So the need X-wing support.  Who better to support them than Wedge and R2-D2?  The idea of the cheap Y-wings and cheap X-wing is to get as many shots in as possible every round.  Use the Y-wings to pester whoever is the biggest threat, usually Vader in Imp squads.  Keep the Wedge close to the Y-wings so that he can get lined up on whoever receives the ion token (someone should get one every round) and their next move will be predictable.  Let the Rookie fly around and have some fun but don't let him stray too far.  Two Y-wings reeking havok with two X-wings to clean up can be very nasty.

Roy

#12 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

WOW! Did I just hijack this thread? Sorry!

#13 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

drkjedi35 said:

chrisrivers said:

Chris

My recommendation is to always equip with Ion Cannons and never stress the ship.  Since you can fire at any angle, just use your turns.  Then you have no need for the R2 astromech.  Just my 2 cents.

Roy

This is a good thought, but I think R2 Astromech could still be useful. The game is as much about maneuvering and tactics as it is about squad-building. I think if you had a specific purpose for your R2 Astromech-equipped Y-wing, it could work. For example, if you gave that one Y-wing two torpedoes so it can feel free to Koiogran Turn  and maneuver better to get enemies in it's firing arc. I'm just saying, you could make it work, but you have to have a specific goal in mind. I agree that a generic, "Hey, now it has more green maneuvers, I wonder if I can use this," mentality won't work well for an R2 Astromech on a Y-wing.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#14 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Its probably just my bias against Proton Torpedoes.  If you aren't using them and are using Ion Cannons, then I see no need for a Koiogran turn.  Which means no need for R2 Astromech.

Roy

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I 100% agree to that.

--Count Dooku

#16 chrisrivers

chrisrivers

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Except that Y-wings have red maneuvers that are NOT Koiogran turns.

#17 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

The nature of the turret really does mitigate much of the need for maneuvering in the red range in my experience.  Not entirely, but not enough to warrant dropping those points when I'm not that concerned about facing.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades…fortunately, the Y-Wing is quite similar to the latter. 

I will say, however, that I am very pleased with the balance on this game, and it seems like, at this point, anything can and will work.  So while I doubt that I'd ever do this, I could see it being an annoyance once or twice during a game. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#18 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

chrisrivers said:

chrisrivers said:

Yep, like going Speed 4 in a straight freakin line…

:o)

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#19 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

chrisrivers said:

Chris

My thoughts exactly. I think i'll start running my Y- Wings with the generic astromech

#20 chrisrivers

chrisrivers

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

And the generic R2 droid only costs 1 point!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS