Photo

Army of Undeath - When/How do you use it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 plolock

plolock

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Does the zombie have to be on the map and be able to hit someone while doing so? Or to the Necromancer alone have to have line of sight? Can the skill be used even if the zombie is on the battlefield, but cannot perform an attack on anyone?

#2 BuncyTheFrog

BuncyTheFrog

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

The necromancer in my campaign just took this skill, so I've read the card recently:

From what I understand, you make an attack using your reanimate's dice pool instead of yours against every monster you have line of sight. Range does not matter, and your reanimate needs to at least be on the map. Nothing else about the reanimate matters other than its dice pool (for the attack) and the fact that it is somewhere on the board.

#3 plolock

plolock

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

Yeah well the issue is that it says "Perform an attack", and the Zombie is a melee hero, and it suggests that it has to be adjacent to another figure in order to perform that attack.

#4 Nexx

Nexx

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

No, It says perform an attack using the Reanimate's dice pool. This is a skill the necromancer uses (since you're spending fatigue and the Reanimate doesn't have fatigue) and so you use the necromancer's line of sight. The card also states that Range doesn't matter.

This is what you do in order:

- Is the reanimate on the map somewhere? Yes, you can use the spell.
- Do you have the amount of fatigue needed? Yes, cast away.
- Determine who is in line of sight
- Roll the Reanimate's dice
- Calculate damage, add surges
- Overlord defends each monster
- Necromancer can now use his/her other action

I'm hoping to get this for my necro. Spencer would love it.

#5 plolock

plolock

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Okay, thanks! :)

#6 uppTagg

uppTagg

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Remember though that the Reanimate does the attack so you spend surges as he would on a normal attack. Meaning you can't recover fatigue from a surge f.ex.

#7 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Is it just me or does this seem a bit overpowered?

#8 JohnMill

JohnMill

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

The necromancer’s ability “Army of death” (3xp) states:

“==>: Perform an attack with your Reanimate. This attack affects each monster in your line of sight, ignoring range; your Reanimate does not need line of sight to the affected monster but does need to be on the map.” Payment, 2 fatigue.

This means that your mage uses this ability in his turn, spending 1 action and 2 fatigue doing so. The attack targets, as stated, every monster withing the mage's line of sight, regardless of the range. The attack pool of the reanimate is used, with any additional dice (think of "vampiric blood" add 1 yellow die). And spend any rolles surges on the reanimates abilities. Monsters roll defense seperatly.

@Wrapped: Yes this is a very powerfull spell. But with 3xp to buy it, I don't think it's overpowered.

@plolock: To help understand the "ranged" attack instead of a "melee" one. See your mage cast a spell that awakens the undead, but instead of 1 undead reanimate to fully come out of the ground, underneath every monster, arms come out of the ground to attack these monsters and then retreat into the ground again.

#9 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

JohnMill said:

@Wrapped: Yes this is a very powerfull spell. But with 3xp to buy it, I don't think it's overpowered.

Yeah, but think of this skill as 1 out of 4 skills that are added to a full group (with 4 heroes) after 3 quests played (wether the heroes lost or won these 3) compared to what the OL can do with the same 3 xp (he just spent 2 xp to buy the first 2 cards that are drawn 1/15 at best and is now saving up for his first level 2 card).

#10 JohnMill

JohnMill

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you don't spend any xp in the first 3 quests, your hero isn't very good. So then you'd have a really big chance of loosing these first quests and thereby giving the overlord: extra xp or relics.

#11 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, that's probably right.

Actually studying the development of the Reanimate is kind of interesting for the overlord when trying to anticipate what to expect from the heroes in the future since it cannot use items and in that way gets a very clean development curve. =)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS