How many ships do you really need.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

I am just curious, I am about to place my first order for x-wing minis,  I have roughly 250 dollars to spend and want to get all that I can including the preorders for the next four pieces this is what I was thinking let me know if it is enough to field most if not all competitive squads.  This is what I am thinking

2 starters (4 ties & 2 x wings)

boosters

2 Tie Booster (For the extra Stat Cards)

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

I want to get the most bang for my buck, so all comments as welcome.  I am ordering from cool stuff

#2 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

Lord Dragon said:

I am just curious, I am about to place my first order for x-wing minis,  I have roughly 250 dollars to spend and want to get all that I can including the preorders for the next four pieces this is what I was thinking let me know if it is enough to field most if not all competitive squads.  This is what I am thinking

boosters

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

I want to get the most bang for my buck, so all comments as welcome.  I am ordering from cool stuff

If rebels:

1 core set, 1 X-wing, 1 Y-wing

if Imperials:

3 core set (cheaper for 2 TIEs than buying seperate TIEs), 2 TIEs (for the upgrade cards and pilots), 2 TIE adv

#3 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

Lord Dragon said:

boosters

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

That is pretty much what I plan to get. Not sure that makes it the best plan though. :P

#4 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Lord Dragon said:

boosters

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

That is exactly what I have/am ordering so far.  The most X-wings you can have in a 100 pt squad is 4, so you're good there.  I can't see running more than 2 Y-wings at a time.  In fact I have been playing with a 2 Y-wing squad, and I'm loving it.  I think 6 TIE Fighters is more than enough.  I have seen some TIE squads with 8 TIEs, but they are a lot more easy to pick off than their unique counterparts.  Two TIE Advanced are more than you will probably use.  The only TIE/Ad pilot I like at all is Vader.  However, I have a feeling that I'll want more A-wings and TIE Interceptors, but I'll wait until they come out before I decide on that.

Roy

#5 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Ha, that's also what I have/plan - except I have just one TIE Advanced. I feel that's "appropriate." Eventually, I'll up the TIE Interceptors to four, but likely just two initially for preorder.

#6 Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

as I am looking this over I think I would have enough to field two 100pts team at the same time, some four player action seems like it would be really fun.

#7 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Looks pretty good.  You will probably want more TIE Interceptors, but looks good for now.  Be sure to make two separate orders so you don't have to wait the preorders to get your stuff.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#8 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

drkjedi35 said:

Lord Dragon said:

boosters

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

That is exactly what I have/am ordering so far.  The most X-wings you can have in a 100 pt squad is 4, so you're good there.  I can't see running more than 2 Y-wings at a time.  In fact I have been playing with a 2 Y-wing squad, and I'm loving it.  I think 6 TIE Fighters is more than enough.  I have seen some TIE squads with 8 TIEs, but they are a lot more easy to pick off than their unique counterparts.  Two TIE Advanced are more than you will probably use.  The only TIE/Ad pilot I like at all is Vader.  However, I have a feeling that I'll want more A-wings and TIE Interceptors, but I'll wait until they come out before I decide on that.

Roy

I have a couple of lists with 7 TIEs that run 3 or 4 named pilots. I have 8 TIEs total though, just in case.

Yeah, the only good TIE/ad pilot is Vader. His ability is usually useful (especially with squad leader). Maarek Stele's ability usually isn't. The generic ones are basically like X-Wings but without droids and with evasion and barrel roll. If I wanted to run X-Wings, I'd use the Rebels.

#9 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

ShadowJak said:

drkjedi35 said:

Lord Dragon said:

boosters

2 x wing boosters

2 y wing boosters

2 Tie advanced

1 Falcon

1 Slave 1

2 A wing

2 Advanced Ties 

Roy

I have a couple of lists with 7 TIEs that run 3 or 4 named pilots. I have 8 TIEs total though, just in case.

Yeah, the only good TIE/ad pilot is Vader. His ability is usually useful (especially with squad leader). Maarek Stele's ability usually isn't. The generic ones are basically like X-Wings but without droids and with evasion and barrel roll. If I wanted to run X-Wings, I'd use the Rebels.

try maarek with cluster missles and marksmanship. even if you don't kill him, you'll be giving him 2-3 different critical results to have fun with at the same time

#10 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

That's almost as many points as 3 TIEs. No thanks.

#11 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

My first wave purchase was 2 Starters and one of each Expansion so that I can run at least a 100pts of each side at the same time.  I plan on getting one more of each of the first wave expansions, then one Falcon, 1 Slave-1 and 2 of each of the second wave fighters

I consider TIE's and X's to be the core ship for each faction with everything else being support options.  For some reason I want to be able to have the option of running the "other" ships in pairs.  I have no idea why I feel the need for pairs, I just do.  So that's the way I'll be buying them.  I'm not sure I'd like an all A-Wing, Y-Wing Reb Squad nor an All TIE Adv. list so it'll only be 2 each of them.  But I'll probably be getting at least 4 TIE Interceptors before I'm done with the second wave.

As for TIE adv, Vader isn't the only reason to take that ship.  I've had very good results from running a Tempest Squadron Pilot with a concussion missile.  The higher skilled TIE's strip the shields off of a target and the Tempest goes for a kill shot with the missile.  You want that ship to have a low skill so that it fires after the other TIE's have a chance to soften the target.

Maarek is also pretty good.  But if you've got 2 points to spare, Vader is the better option.  I have no idea why you'd want to take the Storm Squadron Pilot though. The modest skill boost isn't something I'd worry about getting unless I have spare points and can't come up with anything else (not likely).

-DavicusPrime

#12 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

I went with enough of each to be able to do a "pure" 100 points of each ship type…so:

2 Starters

2 Exp X-Wings

4 Exp TIEs

3 Y-Wings (Yes, I know I could get more in 100 points but I kit mine out)

4 Advanced TIEs

So far I'm having the most fun running my 3 Y-Wings and am having pretty consistent success with them. I have to fly my ass off to beat a TIE swarm, but it can be done and the Wallowing Pigs are just fun!

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#13 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

DavicusPrime said:

I consider TIE's and X's to be the core ship for each faction with everything else being support options.  For some reason I want to be able to have the option of running the "other" ships in pairs.  I have no idea why I feel the need for pairs, I just do.  So that's the way I'll be buying them.  I'm not sure I'd like an all A-Wing, Y-Wing Reb Squad nor an All TIE Adv. list so it'll only be 2 each of them.  But I'll probably be getting at least 4 TIE Interceptors before I'm done with the second wave.

Well, pairs is usually the base unit aircraft operate in, a lead and his wingman. Of course, Star Wars fighters seem to operate more like the early WW2 RAF, in groups of 3 (which were eventually dropped as being a bit rubbish and limiting, as they had been designed as bomber destroyer formations). Why they did escapes me, as those wingmen were rubbishly placed to provide cover against Darth Vader and his buddies (who also contributed exactly nothing to the whole endeavour. In fact, worse than nothing, as it was his panicking wingman that knocked him out of control).

Personally I would, if I had all the money in the world, want to field all the fighters in groups of 3, due to the film's thing of doing that. The exception would be the Tie Advanced, as that is a "squadron leader's" ship, and should be operating alongside regular tie fighters, rather than in units of its own. This again comes from their sole appearance in the films, and the fact that they would just look a bit silly in large numbers.

#14 Slamdunk74

Slamdunk74

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'm playing in a League with 100 point limit.  So… I have 5 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 Advanced Tie, and 6 Tie.  This gives me enough figs with the various add-ons allows me to put together a good 100 point squadron.

I enjoy playing the rebels but have to play Imperial from time to time.

I am constantly annoyed that so many of the Imperial players have to have Vader but fail to play it correctly.  He is usually the first craft to get axed when I am playing.  Maybe I just roll good when facing him, over and over.

#15 Blaciu

Blaciu

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I went with pretty much the exact same number of ships with one exception; I have 4 TIE Advanced.

The whole reason I got four of them is because the 21 point TIE Advanced pilots are the exact same as the 21 point X-Wings (well, they have evasion and barrel roll but they are close enough). Load them all up with the four point missiles/torpedoes and you have two well-balanced 100 point armies, which is perfect for introducing new players to the game. It is a little weird since every ship activates at the same time (they all have pilot skill 2) but you get a nice feel for the gameplay before adding in the unique mechanics that come with named pilots and upgrades.

Again, I have this for new players, especially some younger players and ones unfamiliar with miniature gaming. Otherwise, I think you have a great smattering of ships, plenty to make some great squads. You may want a third TIE Advanced and/or Y-Wing a little later down the road but it’s rare to see more than two on the field.

One last thing that sounds odd but is useful advice (imo) when you buy two starter kits; don’t mix the two decks of damage cards together. There are some ‘unique’ critical damage effects that cause problems when doubled-up. I did have both in play during a four player 200 point game but even then, we used one deck per faction.

#16 Mecha-Gojira

Mecha-Gojira

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

so how do the component limitation rules interact with the  expansions?

#17 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

I decided to go with three starters and only one of X-Wing and TIE expansions.  Felt I got more bang for my buck that way. Otherwise, this is similar to what I did.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#18 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Blaciu said:

I went with pretty much the exact same number of ships with one exception; I have 4 TIE Advanced.

The whole reason I got four of them is because the 21 point TIE Advanced pilots are the exact same as the 21 point X-Wings (well, they have evasion and barrel roll but they are close enough). Load them all up with the four point missiles/torpedoes and you have two well-balanced 100 point armies, which is perfect for introducing new players to the game. It is a little weird since every ship activates at the same time (they all have pilot skill 2) but you get a nice feel for the gameplay before adding in the unique mechanics that come with named pilots and upgrades.

Again, I have this for new players, especially some younger players and ones unfamiliar with miniature gaming. Otherwise, I think you have a great smattering of ships, plenty to make some great squads. You may want a third TIE Advanced and/or Y-Wing a little later down the road but it’s rare to see more than two on the field.

One last thing that sounds odd but is useful advice (imo) when you buy two starter kits; don’t mix the two decks of damage cards together. There are some ‘unique’ critical damage effects that cause problems when doubled-up. I did have both in play during a four player 200 point game but even then, we used one deck per faction.

That's kind of a big investment just to show people how to play. Good for you, though; you either have extra money or are just cool like that.

Mixing the damage decks like that is against the rules besides messing up the number of 'unique' (there are actually at least 2 of each card and 7 direct hits). Each faction needs to have its own deck in a full game.

Also, it is already too easy to mess with the damage decks and doubling the cards just makes it harder to keep track of.

#19 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Emrico said:

I went with enough of each to be able to do a "pure" 100 points of each ship type…so:

2 Starters

2 Exp X-Wings

4 Exp TIEs

3 Y-Wings (Yes, I know I could get more in 100 points but I kit mine out)

4 Advanced TIEs

So far I'm having the most fun running my 3 Y-Wings and am having pretty consistent success with them. I have to fly my ass off to beat a TIE swarm, but it can be done and the Wallowing Pigs are just fun!

Jim

After getting one of each TIE and X-Wing expansion, i would get the rest of my TIE and X-Wings in additional Core Sets. It's cheaper just factoring in ships, not even counting the extras.

#20 faetheor

faetheor

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well I bought 3 core sets 2 ties for a total of 8 and one x for a total of 4 two y's and two advanced I may buy another core for the hell of it I will definately get one falcon and one slave and probably 2-4 of the others I'm itching to get a sniff of wave 3 because its all about the B-wings for me !!!!

To answer your question truthfully "How many ships do you really need?" its quite simple the answer is only one word long.

MORE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS