Photo

Returning to the game, and looking for face to face opponents…

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Shikaku

Shikaku

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

For those of you who do not know me, I played the original CCG version of AGoT and left for a while. I have returned to the game and am starting to rebuild my collection. I am currently looking for players near me to play on Friday nights at a local brick and mortar, in South Bend, Indiana. Doors open at 7:00 pm. I have also heard of the online software but am not quite ready to go through all the rigamaroll of downloading and setting it up. If you live nearby and want to play with the actual cards reply or send me a message. I look forward to being part of the community again.

#2 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

welcome back. I still recall the day you left. Quite the memorable exit post.

#3 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

Stag Lord said:

welcome back. I still recall the day you left. Quite the memorable exit post.

link plz

#4 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Its gotaa be long gone Dennis. We are talking 2004 or earlier.

But Jaosn was one fof the most feared and respected players in the first years of the game. He was a regular sparring partner fo casey's as I recall. Forget why he left - but I remember his ire being directed at eric lang and the direction the game was headed.

#5 ccgtrader99

ccgtrader99

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Jason was one of the first competitive players this game had, in the midwest that is. He was also one of the first people I can recall that used power grab (back before it was decent) and made it pretty solid. With a bevy of top place finishes and even a regional win to his credit he was a great player…only eclipsed by his hard work in building a  meta in MI.

His exit post, while memorable was not as good his back and forth with Melnick. To the uninitiated , there were a few of us back in the heyday of the FFG flame wars that made with whole Penfold intrigue seem a little dull. 

I'm not complaining that those days are long gone, but I'm happy to see a friend of mine come back to this game and community.

Welcome back, Jay.

#6 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Well, welcome back then. Hope you find the state of the game to your liking. As for your original inquiry, can't help you out there, since I live pretty damn far from Indiana. All the best to you.

#7 Shikaku

Shikaku

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

@Stag Lord: Thank you for the kind introduction. I find it hard to believe that anyone "feared" me and was shocked to hear they "respected" me, either way it was a good surprise and people need those every now and then.

@ccgtrader99 (casey): You've always had my back, and I appreciate your long memory which is far better than mine. Looking forward to getting together for a few games next time you are out this way, or I can get home. Not sure when that will be, but I think Miriam and I will try to make a run home sometime within the next month and then again for Christmas. If I have my way, I will be home for several days around the holiday and hope we can get together.

@dcdennis and everyone else: Hello, nice to meet you. Honestly, I cannot recall what I wrote in that exit post 8 or 9 years ago. It's likely that it was petty and immature, thick with verbal venom and (as Stag Lord put it) ire.

I can't even clearly recall why I wrote it, which means it was probably not all that important; at least in the grand scheme of things.

I do know that around the time I left the game back in the mid 2000's, I was in the thick of finishing my college degree and starting my career; which eventually took me far from home for several years.

I also know that I had made the decision to leave the game before attending the last GenCon in which I played AGoT competitively; and that something happened at the tournament that year that soured the experience even more.

I don't remember if it was all the 1st round byes were paired against each other in round two (which at the time didn't seem right), or if the bye itself didn't carry the same or better weight for strength of schedule, or if it was a double DQ against Casey and Melnick for taking too long to smoke a cigarette between rounds in elimination even though they were paired against one another.

All I know is I was not a happy camper, apparently (and I think it had to do with more than just the direction of the game).

I also know that, as Casey mentioned, I worked hard to build a meta in southeast Michigan. Having the best player in the game, imho, playing in your meta can make growing it difficult. No one wants to lose all the time, but Casey has a way of not only being a gracious winner, but the ability to give advice without being patronizing about it.

Our meta may not have been large, at the end just a handful of players, but it was strong. Each of us better than when we started, and certainly a force to be reckond with at any major tournament.Each of us with a different style of play or deckbuilding brought different looks to the table, which was invaluable.

I would like to lay the ground work for the same thing where I am at now. If any of you know players, or family who may be interested in learning the game, in or around southwest Michigan or north central Indiana, have them contact me.

I am going to be reaching out to three people signed up on the site already who are relatively close to see if we can set up a time and location to regularly meet.

In the meantime, I am different than I was before. I don't have time for the childish antics tied to discussion board popularity or politics. I don't even know if I will go so far as organizing events, as I did before with my Hand of the King Tournament where we offered gobs of prize support in the middle of regional season.

What I am here to do, is teach new players, build another community around South Bend area, and if my wife allows, dabble in competitive play.

Again, I look forward to returning to this community and once again making an impact here.

Jason

#8 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

What a great post! Quite inspiring actually, as a new player reading this. I wish there was someone with your attitude in my area!

Sadly I'm in Scotland, not Indiana, but welcome back to the community anyway.

#9 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

Again - good to see you back, shikaku. Please know when i say "feared" it was in teh best sense of the word. you reputation as a top tier player crossed metas and if anyone was going to a midwestern torunament back in the day, they were aware of who they might have to face.

You being back will imporve the overall competitive metagame.

#10 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

And Casey: yeah: the flame wars are pretty tame these days, no?

#11 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Stag Lord said:

And Casey: yeah: the flame wars are pretty tame these days, no?

i take offense to that!

#12 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I know - you do your best, Dennis.

But homophones?

Seriously?

#13 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Stag Lord said:

I know - you do your best, Dennis.

But homophones?

Seriously?

ya that one was a bit of reach. Ill do better next time i swear.

#14 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

You better.

You have a witch hunt in full hue and cry a coupel of threads over and the quarry hasn't appeared in three pages.

One sided flame wars just don't live up to the blood sport that was the early days around here.

#15 erockbaratheon

erockbaratheon

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Columbus, OH here

I'd be willing to drive a couple of hours to play haha

#16 rings

rings

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Welcome back - I certainly remember when 'the Shikaku hit the fan'.  Oh, even I have to *groan*…

Oh, King eh? Very nice...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS