This time it was me vs. AngryMojo, Imperial vs. Imperial
The 6 Named TIEs. Determination on Howrunner and Swarm Tactics on Mauler Mithel for an even 100pts
Total Squad Points: 100
"Howlrunner" w/ Determination
Academy Pilot 1
Academy Pilot 2
Academy Pilot 3
Academy Pilot 4
What I was going for with this build was maximizing the number of attack dice I could potentially roll (or reroll) in a turn.
We each split up our forces into 2 groups on each side of the group of asteroids in the middle of the field. I got a few good rolls around the 3rd round after we both K-turned (long range shots with Academy Pilots) and was able to take out a couple of his TIEs early which greatly increased my numbers advantage. By the end I had destroyed 4 of his ships and he only managed to deal a total of 2 damage to my side so he conceded.
Some things I learned from this game in no particular order:
1. Having an advantage in number of ships is important in Imp vs. Imp
2. Howrunner's ability didn't come up as much as it seems it should. I noobed it up and forgot to use the ability once and then moved him the wrong way, but even considering that, it is hard to keep him close enough most of the time. AngryMojo didn't seem to use the ability that many times either for similar reasons. Maybe we just need more practice with tight ship movement.
3. Backstabber and Mauler Mithel are champs. When user properly, they are like Interceptors but cheaper to deploy.
4. Academy Pilots are just fine most of the time. Yes, they usually attack last, but no one targets them so it doesn't matter unless they are the only ships left in range.
5. I need to get faster at selecting my moves and actions. 13 ships on the field is a lot each turn.
Next time I play, I know how I'm going to tweak my team. It'll be good.