Photo

Forbidden Alchemy – recommendation possible (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John T

John T

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

I have just received my copy of FA and will be running a game this weekend. I am hoping to get a few suggestions on what would be a good choice for scenario. We are fairly experienced at the game (3 veterans and 1 new guy). As one of those Keepers that does not fall into the 'win at all cost' category I would like to know if there are any game breaking strategies for the recommended scenarios I should avoid. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy handing out a solid beat-down to the investigators, but don’t want an auto-win on a broken scenario.

thanks,

John

#2 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Do not waste your time on The Yellow Matter. Instead play Lost in Time and Space. I have not played the 3rd one yet.

As for the scenario, you will have your hands full.

Good Luck, have fun!

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Lost in Time and Space is the best scenario of the set. There is a meta-puzzle aspect as the investigators have to figure out what time periods they need to travel to achieve certain tasks.

#4 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Agree. Yellow matter as excellent potential but poor implementation. I enjoyed a lot Lost in Space and Time (despite the sequentially arranged clues).

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#5 eorahil

eorahil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

We played yellow matter option 1C and we (me and investigators) enjoyd very much!! We loved the "mutation" tokens and all it's mechanics!!!

Why you didn't like it?

The boring for me is are the first turns from "Lost in Time and Space". Few enemies at the beggining, too much at the end!!

#6 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

We played the objective 1B and the keeper won. This objective is truly poorly designed (it is so easy with "mutagenic experience" action card to win for the keeper). I do not like the 1A either, since it is totally unbalanced depending on where the investigators found the clue 1. In general, I found the mechanics of mutation tokens no so well thought : the mutation tokens on investigators do not bring anything to the game except if you chose objective 1B (such a pity).

If I had to replay this one, here is what I would do for mutation tokens : Each time a mutation token is given to an investigator, roll a die and add the number of previous mutation tokens. If 10 or more, the investigator draws a side effect card. This makes uses of the side effect that we barely see otherwise. Any time a monster receive a mutation token, roll and die and add the number previous mutation tokens to the die roll. If 10 or more, the monster dies. This avoid monsters with many mutations tokens that can kill an investigator right away using ""mutagenic experience" action card.

I do not know what I would do for objective except picking 1C. ^^

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#7 eorahil

eorahil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

amikezor said:

We played the objective 1B and the keeper won. This objective is truly poorly designed (it is so easy with "mutagenic experience" action card to win for the keeper). I do not like the 1A either, since it is totally unbalanced depending on where the investigators found the clue 1. In general, I found the mechanics of mutation tokens no so well thought : the mutation tokens on investigators do not bring anything to the game except if you chose objective 1B (such a pity).

If I had to replay this one, here is what I would do for mutation tokens : Each time a mutation token is given to an investigator, roll a die and add the number of previous mutation tokens. If 10 or more, the investigator draws a side effect card. This makes uses of the side effect that we barely see otherwise. Any time a monster receive a mutation token, roll and die and add the number previous mutation tokens to the die roll. If 10 or more, the monster dies. This avoid monsters with many mutations tokens that can kill an investigator right away using ""mutagenic experience" action card.

I do not know what I would do for objective except picking 1C. ^^

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

1C uses the mutagenic tokens to infect player. Yo can ELIMINATE a player if there is a the "mad doctor" (dont remember name) in the same space as an investigator and he SUCCEED a roll where dificulty is the number of mutagenic tokens on it…

speaking on it… I had a doubt but I resolved reading literally the rule.

There is a Keeper card wich says you can put a mutagenic token on a investigator in the same place as a cultist, you dont pass mutagenic token from cultist to investigator, you put a new one on him…

is this ok? or you can only pass mutagenic token from cultist to investigator?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS