Why does FFG hate Warfare?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 agashmirv

agashmirv

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ok, so at least you get some 3d terrain and a 2nd mini in the other box sets.  With Hades, all a warfare player gets is 1 mini.

I just don't understand the reasoning here?!?!?!

They really, really need to rethink how they're marketing warfare here.

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Can't see the problem, Dust Tactics is the main game and models are made for this, DW is just an offshoot rulebook where it uses Dust Tactics miniatures.  There is nothing stopping DW players from using the scenario's and battlemaps from DT.

#3 Dreachon

Dreachon

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

You are aware that none of the large boxed set expansions are for warfare, we just get the books.

#4 agashmirv

agashmirv

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Yes, I'm aware, and that's my point.

If I want to own the SSU model in the box set, I have to buy the whole box which is useless to me. 

Since everyone tells me the rules are completely different, I expect the scenarios aren't balanced or possibly even sensible to try and use. That makes the 1 model in the box a $40 model for a warfare player. 

FFG has to realise they are preventing people from starting up warfare because they cant reasonably buy all the models for their army. Miniature gamers want to own all the models in their army so they can modify their army. Hampering their ability to do that will affect the growth of this game.

#5 Major Malfunction

Major Malfunction

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Some people play both. Compared to some other games (40K for example) you will pay upwards of $30 for a single mini by itself, unassembled and unpainted.

Still, it would be nice if FFG gave us the option of buying the minis by themselves, perhaps in a hero pack like some previous releases.

#6 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

I think it's been mentioned before that there's a complicated arrangement whereby Dust Studios in France is the main outlet that translates Parente's vision (and often artwork) into the game Dust Tactics. Then, Alderac Entertainment Games (I believe that's the correct translation of the AEG acronym) distributes Tactics to the U.S., through a partnership with FFG. FFG is the company that deals in Warfare.

You see, FFG is practically at the butt-end of the food chain; they have no choice about what Dust Studios brings out, they just have to sell it and make rules for Warfare for whatever Studios brings out. Now, I'm given to understand that Parente is very receptive to fan desires, including those from Warfare fans, which does make for some input from Warfare fans at the front end of the food chain. Sure beats Games Workshop's self-imposed isolation…

I hope that the next Warfare book will have rules for sewer gaming, usable with Op Hades and quite possibly with Wyrd Games' 'Sewers of Malifaux' Terra-clips set. It would be so cool to play a two-table game with the two different levels of the conflict represented!

#7 agashmirv

agashmirv

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

WK, thanks for the studio info. I didn't realize they were the drivers here.

On a side note, I picked up the malifaux terrain and am trying it out next week. It looks pretty good. We'll see how the functionality goes.

#8 Tristan617

Tristan617

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Actually WK… You are wrong.

FFG is no longer the tail end of the Dust production. FFG actually has the most of the product line to themselves. AEG just let them go where they left off. BUT AEG is still going to help promote the game and help with a few aspects of it. FFG has the majority (pretty much the whole thing) of the production from here on out. Proof is on this link.

http://ogrecave.com/...rom-aeg-to-ffg/

#9 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

A few things you guys missed…

Dust studio is in china not France.

AEG sold all the rights to dust they are no longer in the chain.

#10 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Good news all! But if Studios is in China, then why are all their personnel and designers French?

#11 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

They are Italian not french… and because labor is cheap in china.

#12 Don Lopertuis

Don Lopertuis

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

No. Parente is italian, but Olivier Zamfirescu - game designer for Dust Tactics - is french and so Vincent Fontaine - painter designer - .

New units, new game developpements are developped and tested by the french team with Parente, even if manufacturing is in Hong Kong.

Don Lopertuis

#13 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, they located the Dust Studio inside the Hong Kong factory where they're made.  Pretty smart decision overall.  In the Rackham days, they had to do France-China communication to figure out issues, Paolo just has to go downstairs and knock heads together :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS