At the first place, for me the proper difficulty setting for the campaigns are the follows:
Yig - Easy (instead of Normal)
Tsathoggua - Normal (instead of Hard)
Azathoth - Hard
Hastur - Hard (Instead of Normal, the game start all the time with locked glyphs! and Midnight effect for me)
Cthulhu - Very Hard
Ithaqua - Near Impossible (instead of Very Hard...)
Dark Pharaoh - Very Hard
Cthulhu campaign is long and a find it really great, but still seems a bit easy for my taste - also, this is the campaign I made the most points - 5995
The new Hastur scenario made me sweat - the locked glyphs are really though to get through in the beginning.
Too be honest, I completed the Dark Pharaoh with four invesigators both my first two times (and funnily, lost at the 3rd one), so I almost lost my interest of it but the new adventures/allies system still attract me to play it one more time. I like the artwork too.
But my all time favourite is Ithaqua and because of the difficulty! This is real Lovecraftian suffering, tears and sweet - finally.
From 20-25 game I only finished it 2 times successfully beaten Ithaqua, but this insane difficulty lures me back time to time to this campaign.
For all those folks who can't handle him at all a few advices per topic:
- If you not playing with random investigators then take those guys with a lot of stamina (5 or more) . Michael looks like an ideal member with his Tommy Gun and peril making ability.
- Never set out to Alaska below 18-20 supplies
- Try to keep your investigators in good shape before the expedition and try to gain as much item as possible before setting out.
- Small but effective trick: start the expedition JUST before midnight (9pm) an you will start the Alaskian adventures at 12pm but without resolving the Mythos effect! I'm not sure that it's a bug or not, but helps a bit.
- In Alaska, if Wolfs turn up in the beginning, hunt them down as soon as possible as they multiplying very fast at the Mythos phase
- If you are collected 10-11 Elder Signs then you may only bothered by equipping your invstigators as much as possible and find a last adventure to collect last ES's. You need strict planning, before meeting the GOO, and investigators with lot of stamina.
I really prefer the last 3 campaign as they are challenging!
I can't see whats the fun in beating Yig ot Tsathoggua 100 times and then get bored of this game.