Non-ranked talents in different trees

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SoupViking

SoupViking

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have a player that took the talent Quick Draw in the Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer tree for 5XP. Then later he took a second specialization of Assassin and ran into the Quick Draw (10XP) talent in that tree after taking Dodge for 5XP.

What to do? Does he purchase the new Quick Draw again so that he can gain access to the remainder of the that particular branch of the tree? That branch is not accessible otherwise.

Here is what I did. I just made him pay the difference of 5XP. The first purchase of Quick Draw is a standalone skill for the gadgeteer, thus not tied to any other talent gain.

What do you think?

#2 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

The beta updates clarify that non-ranked talents that a character already possesses may be bypassed for free when navigating another tree.

#3 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Rikoshi said:

The beta updates clarify that non-ranked talents that a character already possesses may be bypassed for free when navigating another tree.

And, extrapolating from that, if you have the maximum allowed ranks in a ranked skill, you can probably do likewise for those.

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Voice said:

Rikoshi said:

And, extrapolating from that, if you have the maximum allowed ranks in a ranked skill, you can probably do likewise for those.

Do the the ranked talents actually specify that they have a cap?  Skills and Characteristics each have a hard limit, mostly to keep the dice pool from getting too unwieldy (a common complaint of Shadowrun, HERO System, high-end WEG games, and occasionly World of Darkness and Legend of 5 Rings).  But I don't recall seeing anything to that effect for the ranked talents.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

Voice said:

Rikoshi said:

Do the the ranked talents actually specify that they have a cap?  Skills and Characteristics each have a hard limit, mostly to keep the dice pool from getting too unwieldy (a common complaint of Shadowrun, HERO System, high-end WEG games, and occasionly World of Darkness and Legend of 5 Rings).  But I don't recall seeing anything to that effect for the ranked talents.

How is it a complaint of L5R? L5R is capped at 10 dice. You never roll more than 10 and never keep more than 10.

#6 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Voice said:

Rikoshi said:

I may have simply been misremembering something (heck, it could even have been a different system, since I'm in two other active games at the moment), but I thought I'd remembered seeing a ranked talent that had a limit mentioned.

#7 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Kallabecca said:

How is it a complaint of L5R? L5R is capped at 10 dice. You never roll more than 10 and never keep more than 10.

Well, I did say "occasionally"

There are some folks that simply don't like rolling handfuls of dice for task resolution, and instead prefer smaller dice pools, be it a single d20, four Fudge dice, or just a couple d10's for the One Roll Engine.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS