Starting Power and Favour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rabski

rabski

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

I am about to run my first game in a couple of week and found some items regarding wizards and priests that I do not clearly understand.

Do these casters "begin" the game with an amount of power/favour equal to their willpower? Or do they always start on 0?

I read the Tome of blessings and Tome of mysteries and they state that the casters slowly regenerate their power/favour but I cant really find any rule that states how this works?

I hope that you understand my question.

#2 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

They always start with power/favour equal to their WP, that is the so called equilibirum state. From page 111 in The Player's guide (not sure if it is stated this clearly in the Core set rule book):

"A spellcaster who has as much power as his Willpower score is said to be at equilibrium. It is the default, natural “rest” state for all wizards. All spellcasters trend towards equilibrium, and they are assumed to be at equilibrium anytime their current power is not defined, such as during story mode (in most cases), or at the begin- ning of an encounter.

During the end of turn phase, a character whose current power is less than his equilibrium gains one power. A character whose current power is greater than his equilibrium loses one power, unless he spends a manoeuvre to control the excess, as noted under Excess Power above. Characters also trend towards equilibrium in this way during a Rally Step, gaining or losing power as if it were an end of turn phase.
Note that priestly favour behaves in exactly the same fashion as a wizard’s power, in regards to equilibrium."

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yes, gruntl explained it well. All casters walk around at equilibrium, which is the amount equal to their willpower. That is their "default resting state", also known as "equilibrium". 

As spells/blessing get cast/invoked and it drops below equilibrium it will regain slowly per turn up to equilibrium. Similarly, channeling/currying that causes their power/favor to go over equilibrium will result in a slow loss per turn (unless used) back down to their equilibrium value.

#4 rabski

rabski

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

gruntl said:

They always start with power/favour equal to their WP, that is the so called equilibirum state. From page 111 in The Player's guide (not sure if it is stated this clearly in the Core set rule book):

"A spellcaster who has as much power as his Willpower score is said to be at equilibrium. It is the default, natural “rest” state for all wizards. All spellcasters trend towards equilibrium, and they are assumed to be at equilibrium anytime their current power is not defined, such as during story mode (in most cases), or at the begin- ning of an encounter.

During the end of turn phase, a character whose current power is less than his equilibrium gains one power. A character whose current power is greater than his equilibrium loses one power, unless he spends a manoeuvre to control the excess, as noted under Excess Power above. Characters also trend towards equilibrium in this way during a Rally Step, gaining or losing power as if it were an end of turn phase.
Note that priestly favour behaves in exactly the same fashion as a wizard’s power, in regards to equilibrium."

Thank you very much for your answer. I haven´t got the players guide so I couldn´t find this anywhere in the core set :)

#5 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

I'm not surprised you missed it, we played with the wizard starting at zero power for several sessions before realizing we did wrong :)

If you only have the core set rule book you should really check out the FAQ/Clarifications/Errata document, it's really good. I suspect that the equilibrium rules are explained there. You can find the FAQ (together with some other stuff) here:
http://www.fantasyfl...?eidm=93&esem=4

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS