Jump to content



Photo

A Roster of Campaign Ideas for EotE


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

 Hello All:

So, while I think it would be extremely easy to come up with campaign ideas for the types of Star Wars campaigns that take center stage in the movies and in past iterations of the RPG, I think Edge of the Empire sorta takes the "Wars" out of Star Wars.  Yes, there's certainly fighting, but I think we can all agree that it is not the PRIMARY goal of the game to deal with the Rebellion, the Clone Wars, The Vong Invasion, the Sith Wars, the Old Republic Cold Wars and so on.  That's not what you're meant to do.

It seems to me that this game wants you to play those poor sods you see face down in their Blue Milk during the Cantina Scene in A New Hope.  The dredges and the dregs.  The guys who live to scrape by - who become successful because they lower their expectations, or they make marks and take scores.  Kinda like the movie "******" or it's equally clever (if packed with almost impenetrable Brit-Slang) predecessor "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels".

Trying to think up a campaign (or even singular adventures) for those guys is a bit harder than I thought.  It takes a special group to actually WANT to play the hard knocked and hard done by.

 

So, I was thinking maybe we could give each other a hand.  I did have one idea I thought might work, so lemme start:

This one doesn't have a working title yet, but it's set a little closer to Episode III than Episode IV.  Shortly after Palpatine's takeover, the Imperial armed forces have established themselves and either absorbed or swept away much of the Old Republic's military.  Though many still use old Clone Wars tech, that's rapidly changing.  One young archaeologist - the progeny of an important Imperial Moff - can clearly see that under this New Order, s/he's gonna have a helluva time financing digs into old, forgotten places on the fringes of the Galaxy.  Being young, she is also rather ambitious and decides that the best way to get sponsored (without having to go to the Corporate Sector, where sponsorship is directly tied to how much profit a find can garner) is to convince the Emperor himself that there are powerful treasures just beyond the reach of his Order - treasures that haven't been discovered yet, but lie waiting for those bold enough to claim them.  Using his or her parental influence, she manages to wrangle an audience with the Emperor (in reality of course, the Emperor sets this all up for his own amusement and to see if s/he can make her case) and puts it bluntly to his Majesty "We need to recover these ancient artifacts, as an example of Imperial Might, as a means to power and most importantly - to keep these treasures out of the hands of our enemies."  The Emperor is rather impressed by his or her zeal and gives he or she a commission in the Imperial Fleet as a Commander.  He gives her a small (for the Imperial Navy) prototype ship and a complement of equipment and personnel.  He gives her free reign to explore and produce results - much like Grand Admiral Thrawn but with a less combative mandate (and s/he doesn't have to worry about getting murdered by Vader unless s/he gets out of the galaxy as Thrawn did).

But, as an archaeologist, this rising Imperial darling had a teacher.  One who kept in contact with him or her right up until s/he joined up with Palpatine.  Now his or her Professor is appalled by what they realize will be a horrible thing for the galaxy.  But what can the Prof do?  The Prof has no political clout, no true influence.  All the Prof has is information and a good chunk of an old family fortune.  But the Prof alights on an idea.  One of the Prof's older students - a promising archaeologist in their own right before a family tragedy put them on the skids (or maybe the Empire?  Or something to do with the Clone Wars?).  At the time, terrible words were exchanged between Prof and student causing a rift, but now, this former student may be the Galaxy's only hope to keep priceless treasures (some of which are very powerful) from the hands of the Empire.  That student will have to do whatever it takes, find the treasures first, steal them, swindle them and ****** them.  But that student is gonna need a ship….and some help from a motley bunch of unlikely and unorthodox treasure hunters….

So, yeah, that's my idea.  I welcome thoughts about it and really urge you to put up your own!  No idea is dumb!  No adventure is too trivial!  Stick-em up here and let us look at-em!



#2 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Iktotchi Jinz and the Raiders of the Lost Holocron. Iktotchi Jinz and the Temple of the Sith. Iktotchi Jinz and the Last Hyperspace War. Iktotchi Jinz and the Planet of the Lightsaber Crystals. Oh sure I see plenty of opportunity here.


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#3 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

mouthymerc said:

Iktotchi Jinz and the Raiders of the Lost Holocron. Iktotchi Jinz and the Temple of the Sith. Iktotchi Jinz and the Last Hyperspace War. Iktotchi Jinz and the Planet of the Lightsaber Crystals. Oh sure I see plenty of opportunity here.

 

Hey now, it's better than your contribution. Or mine for that matter.



#4 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

EngageEight said:

mouthymerc said:

 

Iktotchi Jinz and the Raiders of the Lost Holocron. Iktotchi Jinz and the Temple of the Sith. Iktotchi Jinz and the Last Hyperspace War. Iktotchi Jinz and the Planet of the Lightsaber Crystals. Oh sure I see plenty of opportunity here.

 

 

 

Hey now, it's better than your contribution. Or mine for that matter.

Not sure if you are taking a shot at me, but I was being serious. The titles are just my way of showing that. They could all be used for inspiration for adventures ( the Indiana movies, that is).


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#5 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic. My bad. :/

 

 



#6 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

    Not the member you are looking for!

  • Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

EngageEight said:

Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic. My bad. :/

 

 

No problem.

The Indie movies would be good inspiration for something like this. Stormtroopers for Nazis. Emperor's Hands or Imperial Inquisitors for the opposing archaeologists. Or the way to introduce a lost tribe of Sith such as in the Iktotchi Jinz and the Temple of the Sith adventure. Or some other fringe group. Hutts could be the bad guys. All kinds of fun there.


People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell


#7 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

mouthymerc said:

EngageEight said:

 

 

 

No problem.

The Indie movies would be good inspiration for something like this. Stormtroopers for Nazis. Emperor's Hands or Imperial Inquisitors for the opposing archaeologists. Or the way to introduce a lost tribe of Sith such as in the Iktotchi Jinz and the Temple of the Sith adventure. Or some other fringe group. Hutts could be the bad guys. All kinds of fun there.

 

And when you consider that the Indiana Jones series was written (at least partially) by the same guy who wrote Star Wars it's not that far fetched.

As I further develop the campaign idea, I will put it up, but the Merc isn't far off from what I had in mind.



#8 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

Definitely a great idea for a campaign!



#9 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

 Thanks EngageEight.  What about you, do you have any ideas for a campaign?



#10 DailyRich

DailyRich

    Member

  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I sprinkled some additions throughout the introductory adventure to set up future events.  My players started off as passengers on a ship whose captain is killed during a pirate attack.  Searching the ship afterwards, they discovered numerous fake IDs, disguises, and an encrypted data pad.  So in addition to the adventure as written, they're trying to piece together who this captain actually was and what he was doing.  It's something I can tease out for as long or as short as I want, and, since they've taken over his ship, can get them into all kinds of predicaments (they've already run afoul of the corrupt Imperial officer who had been taking a cut of the captain's earnings in exchange for looking the other way).



#11 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Corradus said:

 Thanks EngageEight.  What about you, do you have any ideas for a campaign?

 

Not really. The last one i was working on was for the old system; very sith oriented and might be really difficult to run using EotE.



#12 MetalJedi

MetalJedi

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

 

I love the idea of a pulpy adventure campaign, but I agree that getting players to take on the fringe roles takes some convincing. I went back to my shelf of old WEG stuff and starting looking at ideas from the Scouts and Criminal Organizations Galaxy Guides.

I would like to run some bounty hunter adventures, and my group includes a droid player who could take on that role. I am working on how I can guide them towards taking on a job that some of the other characters would not necessarily choose on their own.

I was thinking about starting with a Maltese Falcon style treasure hunt that leads into the discovery that one of the gangsters who double-crossed my player crew has a price on his head high enough to tempt anyone living in the Outer Rim.

I don't have a lot of time to homebrew my campaigns, so I have done some cribbing from short adventure ideas in the old WEG materials. I conveniently have a copy of the Instant Adventures book. If anyone has that book, I am considering using Heavy Lifting as a follow up to the scenario in the back of the EotE book. The hook of the Heavy Lifting adventure is getting a Hutt gangster off the planet because he is on the run from a powerful rival. The payoff for success would be a hint about a treasure that could lead into my Maltese Falcon idea.

At any rate, I seem to have a stable group of five players, and I am looking forward to enjoying more fun times with the EotE rules.



#13 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

EngageEight said:

Corradus said: 

 

Not really. The last one i was working on was for the old system; very sith oriented and might be really difficult to run using EotE.

 

I feel your pain.  When I heard there was a new Star Wars paper and pencil RPG out, I immediately dreamed of restarting an old Saga campaign called Sons of Mandalore - where PC's took the roles of ARC Troopers and the campaign was partially set during the Clones Wars and partially after Episode III.  Guess I have a year or so to wait for that one eh?



#14 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

MetalJedi said:

 

I love the idea of a pulpy adventure campaign, but I agree that getting players to take on the fringe roles takes some convincing. I went back to my shelf of old WEG stuff and starting looking at ideas from the Scouts and Criminal Organizations Galaxy Guides.

I would like to run some bounty hunter adventures, and my group includes a droid player who could take on that role. I am working on how I can guide them towards taking on a job that some of the other characters would not necessarily choose on their own.

I was thinking about starting with a Maltese Falcon style treasure hunt that leads into the discovery that one of the gangsters who double-crossed my player crew has a price on his head high enough to tempt anyone living in the Outer Rim.

I don't have a lot of time to homebrew my campaigns, so I have done some cribbing from short adventure ideas in the old WEG materials. I conveniently have a copy of the Instant Adventures book. If anyone has that book, I am considering using Heavy Lifting as a follow up to the scenario in the back of the EotE book. The hook of the Heavy Lifting adventure is getting a Hutt gangster off the planet because he is on the run from a powerful rival. The payoff for success would be a hint about a treasure that could lead into my Maltese Falcon idea.

At any rate, I seem to have a stable group of five players, and I am looking forward to enjoying more fun times with the EotE rules.

 

Heh, yeah, I guess Heavy Lifting would be a good name for a campaign where you have to save a Hutt's big butt.  I think it would make a great adventure!



#15 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I hear ya. In the meantime, speaking of pulp, there is a company called griffon publishing that has some excellent pulp scenario PDFs.

They are based around the 1930s, but i found it easy to modify the story material to Star Wars/saga. You might want to check them out.



#16 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

For my, rather diverse and messed up group of deviants, these are my seeds/plots to work with from backgrounds and the like:

  • The doctor in the group (a Mengele type, with conscience and hatred for old employer: ie imps) has heard about a secret project on Kashyyk, involving some "pals" from the old days. The character is not rebel material. The type of missions: sabotage, loot, acquire new tech, to sell or get an edge against (other?) pirates or smugglers. Two villains, an ISD captain and a army colonel - the latter being completely disturbed, the former only ambitious. So secret tech and science installations - this is as good as any treasure hunt, perhaps a bit more difficulty - although I'd say they are about equal, you only know you have to shoot stormies when going with this, safe old stormies, no monsters, odd-job aliens … or wait…

 

  • Since I used the intro adventure, my players are in Sinasu's "care" - they did good and messed up the end for Cordol and Naoko. This means the turf war goes on. It means a hutt has it in for the group, and a bounty hunter lost rep and all his friends - to some upstarts with a rusty freighter (add bounty obligation anyone?). They could either climb in the organisation - going from smugglers, to hired guns to pirates, perhaps even personal security. This means power, wealth and a lot of enemies. On this note I have two options for me, and perhaps my players, which is to use one of the background/obligations as something potentially positive (if they want power, [more or less] independence and hard work) - the one blackmailing the force sensitive assassin (yeah, I know, bad idea) is trying to re-establish the Exchange (which in my timeline has been dormant and all but non-existent for a LONG time) and could offer or be found out by the players - plot, drama, intrigue = fun. This could also be extended to the GenoHaradan guild, which I think the assassin and rodian gadgeteer would like - not that anyone in this gaming group has played KOTOR or any of those games.

 

  • Exploration plots I would like. I want the players to search the unknown regions - but so far I have nothing, although a starmap and some old legends might help. A map won in a game of sabbac. This could be anything from Jones to the Da Vinci code inspired.

 

  • You've always got the Minos Cluster (for those that have the Tramp Freighters books from WEG at least). Tons of fun, unless you've already played "it all". I'm just reading up on it myself, a corrupt and interesting sector. I just need the players to go there, at the moment they're braving Nar Shaddaa, even if Naoko and Cordol are after them.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.


#17 Sturn

Sturn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

I kept some logs for a Saga campaign that I ran here. While not planned, the players made it a very Edge of the Empire style campaign. The campaign morphed into the Rebellion-era but my logs stopped at that point so what is left could be of use to someone for EotE.

I'm a fan of old WW2 movies so you may note some influences there, especially in the adventure titles. I've looked to WW2 often for Star Wars ideas because of the obvious connections (Empire/Nazis vs Rebels/FrenchUnderground or Alliance/Allies).

Example: Kelly's Heroes. PCs learn of a secret thinly guarded Imperial cache and hope to burglarize it. They form a rag tag band along the way, but discover that an AT-AT is guarding it upon arrival.


  • ddbrown30 likes this

#18 Barefoottourguide

Barefoottourguide

    Member

  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

 I'm designing Nar Shaadda using Bloodshadows sourcebooks for influence to create gritty adventures there. Also, I'm developing a campaign of gumshoe film noir adventures for Corellia.

Garrett



#19 Corradus

Corradus

    Member

  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

 I've seen a couple of mentions of a "gritty" style of campaign.  I wonder if EotE supports that kind of game.  Seems to me that while combat can be (as I have read of the reports of others) surprisingly and suddenly lethal, I am not sure Film Noir or Grit is what the Devs had in mind.  Do you think those kinds of campaigns would work given the game as is?



#20 EngageEight

EngageEight

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Corradus said:

 Hello All:

So, while I think it would be extremely easy to come up with campaign ideas for the types of Star Wars campaigns that take center stage in the movies and in past iterations of the RPG, I think Edge of the Empire sorta takes the "Wars" out of Star Wars.  Yes, there's certainly fighting, but I think we can all agree that it is not the PRIMARY goal of the game to deal with the Rebellion, the Clone Wars, The Vong Invasion, the Sith Wars, the Old Republic Cold Wars and so on.  That's not what you're meant to do.

It seems to me that this game wants you to play those poor sods you see face down in their Blue Milk during the Cantina Scene in A New Hope.  The dredges and the dregs.  The guys who live to scrape by - who become successful because they lower their expectations, or they make marks and take scores.  Kinda like the movie "******" or it's equally clever (if packed with almost impenetrable Brit-Slang) predecessor "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels".

Trying to think up a campaign (or even singular adventures) for those guys is a bit harder than I thought.  It takes a special group to actually WANT to play the hard knocked and hard done by.

 

So, I was thinking maybe we could give each other a hand.  I did have one idea I thought might work, so lemme start:

This one doesn't have a working title yet, but it's set a little closer to Episode III than Episode IV.  Shortly after Palpatine's takeover, the Imperial armed forces have established themselves and either absorbed or swept away much of the Old Republic's military.  Though many still use old Clone Wars tech, that's rapidly changing.  One young archaeologist - the progeny of an important Imperial Moff - can clearly see that under this New Order, s/he's gonna have a helluva time financing digs into old, forgotten places on the fringes of the Galaxy.  Being young, she is also rather ambitious and decides that the best way to get sponsored (without having to go to the Corporate Sector, where sponsorship is directly tied to how much profit a find can garner) is to convince the Emperor himself that there are powerful treasures just beyond the reach of his Order - treasures that haven't been discovered yet, but lie waiting for those bold enough to claim them.  Using his or her parental influence, she manages to wrangle an audience with the Emperor (in reality of course, the Emperor sets this all up for his own amusement and to see if s/he can make her case) and puts it bluntly to his Majesty "We need to recover these ancient artifacts, as an example of Imperial Might, as a means to power and most importantly - to keep these treasures out of the hands of our enemies."  The Emperor is rather impressed by his or her zeal and gives he or she a commission in the Imperial Fleet as a Commander.  He gives her a small (for the Imperial Navy) prototype ship and a complement of equipment and personnel.  He gives her free reign to explore and produce results - much like Grand Admiral Thrawn but with a less combative mandate (and s/he doesn't have to worry about getting murdered by Vader unless s/he gets out of the galaxy as Thrawn did).

But, as an archaeologist, this rising Imperial darling had a teacher.  One who kept in contact with him or her right up until s/he joined up with Palpatine.  Now his or her Professor is appalled by what they realize will be a horrible thing for the galaxy.  But what can the Prof do?  The Prof has no political clout, no true influence.  All the Prof has is information and a good chunk of an old family fortune.  But the Prof alights on an idea.  One of the Prof's older students - a promising archaeologist in their own right before a family tragedy put them on the skids (or maybe the Empire?  Or something to do with the Clone Wars?).  At the time, terrible words were exchanged between Prof and student causing a rift, but now, this former student may be the Galaxy's only hope to keep priceless treasures (some of which are very powerful) from the hands of the Empire.  That student will have to do whatever it takes, find the treasures first, steal them, swindle them and ****** them.  But that student is gonna need a ship….and some help from a motley bunch of unlikely and unorthodox treasure hunters….

So, yeah, that's my idea.  I welcome thoughts about it and really urge you to put up your own!  No idea is dumb!  No adventure is too trivial!  Stick-em up here and let us look at-em!

 

So, any further developments here? Have you fleshed it out some or played any of this? Would love to hear about it.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS