• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechVoid

TechVoid

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi,

do I understand it right, that a Charakter can use Swift Attack as part of a Charge? In comparison to Deathwatch, the Swift Attack simply says: "When making a melee attack …"

Then I would understand why in Black Crusde the Preternatural Speed Talent does not support Swift Attack as part of a charge any more because it can be already combined. Is that correct?

Cheers,

-- TechVoid.

#2 Nimas

Nimas

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

In the base rules, you can make a swift attack as part of the charge action in Black Crusade, though they errata'd that one out. 

For our group, that is one of the errata's we ignore as it instantly brings back the problem we had with deathwatch; combat monsters never wanted to charge. Basically it was as soon as you charged, you got a single attack that they simply parried, then attacked back with multiple lightning attacks which usually meant you were in serious trouble. Our houserule in Deathwatch was that you got a free feint when charging, but I must say I prefer that you can use Swift attack with charge. It actually gives you reason to charge, while still giving ranged characters some chance at living through the initial charge attack.

#3 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Nimas said:

In the base rules, you can make a swift attack as part of the charge action in Black Crusade, though they errata'd that one out. 

For our group, that is one of the errata's we ignore as it instantly brings back the problem we had with deathwatch; combat monsters never wanted to charge. Basically it was as soon as you charged, you got a single attack that they simply parried, then attacked back with multiple lightning attacks which usually meant you were in serious trouble. Our houserule in Deathwatch was that you got a free feint when charging, but I must say I prefer that you can use Swift attack with charge. It actually gives you reason to charge, while still giving ranged characters some chance at living through the initial charge attack.

You can'yt make multiple lightning attacks in Deathwatch…

#4 TechVoid

TechVoid

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Nimas said:

Thanks for the answer.

I think I overview these things a little better now. I think there are two points to distinguish: At first, do I want to change the Swift & Lightning Attack to be a Half Action? Second, do I want to go with the new rules to grant extra hits according to the DoS and not make an additional attack roll for each attack.

For the second question, I definitely like the idea. It make the melee attack more comparable to the ranged attack with semi- & full auto.

For the first question, I am not sure. I really could live with the Standard Attack any maybe the Semi Burst and thus Swift Attack to be a Half Action. But for the Full Auto and Lightning Attack to be also a Half Action, I am not fully convinced.

Furthermore, I could live with the old rules from Deathwatch that Swift and Lightning Attacks are Full Actions and can only be combined with the Charge by having the Preternatural Speed Talent. And houseruling that they are still not becoming Half Actions, which makes them just too powerful.

But I do not know. The game system is so deadly, that I do not know if it makes a big difference.

Cheers,

-- TechVoid

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS