What Ship Would You Least Like To See?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Everyone has a favorite ship, what about a least favorite? I want to hear some rants. Let it all out. Tell us how you really feel. I'll go first.

I hope they never release a TIE Defender. It's a terrible ship specifically designed to appeal to immature 13 year-old boys with terrible taste. It is totally uninspired. All they did was take the "coolest" Imperial craft (the TIE Interceptor), add another wing, turn the wings inside out to make it "xtreme", and make it ridiculously over powered. It is just awful and boring all around. It's for the type of person that is a Yankees fan but has never stepped foot inside New York. It's the worst ship ever in the star wars universe. I'd rather have one of the prequel ships over that abomination and that says a lot because I'd pay good money to punch Hayden Christensen or that little idiot that played young Anakin in the face. Also, I'm not against the EU, just that ship because it is so boring.

I really want to see some rage. It'll be cathartic for anyone that participates.

#2 MerryVulture

MerryVulture

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'll bite, as I am full of HATE.

I never want to see an E-wing. WTF. One less gun X-wing? 

Or TIE/Avd. Vader had one, the rest is fiction. (Says the guy with four of them)

Rebel: More than most, less than some.

Empire: Ditto

#3 DrUnK3n_PaNdA

DrUnK3n_PaNdA

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Naboo Starfighter. Or anything from the vile prequels, really…

#4 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Naboo Starfighter. Or anything from the vile prequels, really…

Same answer

#5 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think a properly scaled Super Star Destroyer would be unnessary. :P

Really though, since there is no random element I don't have as strong of feeling as I might. The two mentioned so far. I have always found the Yuuzhan Vong to be painfully annoying, so maybe they could be skipped. The fighters from the Legacy comics are probably my least favorite thing about them. The TIE fighter wings are dumb and the Alliance fighters have a really weird and distracting layout. I think they were going for a Naboo thing? Yet I like the capitol ship designs.

#6 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

As the TIE/D is my favorite TIE fighter Shadowjack, allow me to redirect your rage to a more fitting target. Look at the TIE Hunter.

S-Foils. Lasers. Ions. Shields. Hyperdrive. "Fastest TIE in the fleet". A cloaking device. Used by an elite group of super-secret ultra-elite Imperial Commandoes nobody's heard of before. Flown by Wedge and the Rogues on a super-daring super secret mission, who just happened to steal a group of these ultra-rare fighters and destroy a super star destroyer with them. If there was ever a Mary-Sue spacefighter in all of Star Wars, this would be the highest contender. It's got every conventional weapon plus Hyperdrive and shields, and a cloaking device, and it's got nifty S-Foils too!! Plus how can't you be excited with a fighter craft called the Tie Hunter! Sounds awesome doesn't it?

Perhaps because of my upbringing with TIE Fighter I can accept the TIE Defender without thinking it goes over the top. It's not immune to missiles and isn't as gimmick-laden as you might be presuming. You're also forced to fight them with inferior fighters and the fact that you can beat them puts a dent in some presumptions of being a pure Mary-Sue fighter. Personally I think it is the most beautiful TIE fighter in all of Star Wars because of the tri-symmetry and balance between pannels and body. I can accept it as the result of the Imperial budget poured into one fighter and I can't wait to bring one on to the table. I don't mind if I'm forced to fight rebel ships in a ratio similar to the way TIE/Lns are to X-Wings now.

Plus the TIE/D at least shows some originality in it's design while still being a TIE fighter. This is unlike some of the craptastic designs from Starwars Battlegrounds like the TIE Interdictor, which is only an excercise in "Let's see how many TIE Pods we can cram together." Say what you will about it's stats and performance, but you have to say that the TIE/D has more original thought in how it looks than playing frankenstein with TIE Fighter parts in effort to make the coolest craft Evah.

Another great example of what I hate is the TIE Oppressor (There's a trend here isn't there… the more offensive the tone of the name, the more outrageous the fighter eh?). Take a TIE Advanced and cram on a few wings, give it a cool name, and unleash in into cannon. You ***** about the wing arrangement on the TIE/D Shadowjack, but where I think the TIE/D does it right and looks aestheticly pleasing, the TIE Oppressor does it exactly the way you say it does about the TIE/D. The Oppressor is amateur mash-up of parts to look the coolest it can.

But if you want more viritol, I hope we never see anything from the Yuzan-Vong. Call me a purist but I think the Organic technology buckaroo-bonzai derived spaceships don't have a place in the Star Wars universe. If I want creepy crawlies in space, I'd either play Starcraft or Warhammer 40K. I just hope if/when they appear, they don't introduce some bull mechanic that requires fighters I don't want to fly in order to defeat them.

And while I don't hate them, I hope FFG doesn't waste slots in future expansions on one-off spacecraft like the Virago or any of the Bounty Hunter craft. Not necessarily raging at their designs, but I want X-Wing to have more generic fighter craft for me to make my own stories with, not continually fighting the same stupid bounty hunter with his ultra rare custom spaceship.

I'm also hoping the Assault Gunboat is chosen over the Skipray Blastboat. The whole swinging wing thing doesn't do it as much for me as the elegant Lambda-derived imperial assault fighter from X-Wing.

I also feel great meh about the prequel fighters. None of them interest me as much as the TIE line does. I also feel Meh about the Old republic era as a whole.

#7 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I think the TIE Hunter LOOKS okay, but the background and systems are terrible.

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Sun Crusher. The LordGodKing of spaceships, ridiculous even by the most fanboy Star Wars standards.

#9 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Not exactly a ship, but come on, no hate for the Galaxy Gun here? 

For me, it's probably that needle shaped cloaked ship from the Clone Wars CG cartoon. Can't recall the name.

Be seeing you.

#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

I'd have to go with the TIE Defender as well - it's like the 'triple bladed lightsaber' of spaceships, and it looks a mess, to my eye. 

All those TIEs that Norsehound mentioned are certainly worse offenders in this category, but they appear to be so deeply EU that most folks don't know what they are, and there's probably not much danger of them ever getting made. 

#11 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Gotta disagree with the TIE Defender.  The Defender is not just another design that is an Imperial-phile's wet dream.  It served as the catalyst and central story point to a very intriguing Imp vs. Imp conflict.  Also, it served as a symbol of overconfidence.  Admiral Zaarin thought he would be unstoppable with the Defender, but Thrawn's use of the Missle Boat put an end to that dream.  It was two very different doctrines of dogfighting pitted against each other, something that would translate very well to this game, I believe.

I understand that some people would be wary of the Defender's inclusion (it would be very powerful), but of course it would be very costly point wise, and I think people would commit the same mistake that Zaarin did:  put too much faith into a costly fighter. 

But now to the topic:  I do not want to see a Naboo Starfighter.  Why?  They look awful, they are from a terrible movie, and they do not fit the Star Wars look at all.

Would I rather have cool fighter design from a classic Star Wars game, back when Star Wars was the greatest thing on earth, or  would I rather have something that is… well… from Episode 1?

#12 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

In some ways I think the TIE/D is just a faster B-Wing. Both of them have laser and ion armament with a significant amount of missiles. The only reason I'm presuming the B-Wing is matched with the TIE Bomber is because the latter is usually paired off with the Rebel Y-Wing, which is also a bomber and we already have released.

#13 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, gonna have to go with Naboo starfighter. Nothing against it specifically, but I'm fairly certain that it would herald the inclusion of the prequel movies into this game, something I really hope never happens.

#14 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just gotta take a swing for the underdog and say that I've always loved the design of the Naboo N1.

That said, I don't think it belongs in this game, either. 

#15 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Basically though, I'm not going to insist that certain ships never appear in the game.  Everyone prefers different things.  I don't care for prequel stuff, but some do, and good for them.  I don't want to take away something someone else would enjoy.

#16 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

IG-58 said:

Sun Crusher. The LordGodKing of spaceships, ridiculous even by the most fanboy Star Wars standards.

But what if it cost a minimum of 101 points? This ship is just dumb. The flying waffle cone of death.

Honestly, I don't want to see any TIE uglies.  I think everyone here would be ok with getting repaints and new pilots for the currently existing ships instead of an Ugly, or a Sun Crusher..

(Gimme Porkins, gimme Hound's Tooth)

#17 DrUnK3n_PaNdA

DrUnK3n_PaNdA

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Just gotta take a swing for the underdog and say that I've always loved the design of the Naboo N1.

That said, I don't think it belongs in this game, either. 

We've all got out guilty pleasures when it comes to prequel and EU ship aesthetics. I really like the look of the ARC-170 ( http://starwars.wiki...170_starfighter ) but I'd never want to see it in the game.

#18 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I mean with some exceptions, like the Millenium Falcon, I want releases to reflect ships with a production run of more than three craft. The MF is a good representative of the YT-1300, which there are more of and owned by privateers who configure them in similar ways (See the Wookiepedia entry on the YT-1300 for a few examples… at least two of them were owned by the Azameen family from X-Wing Alliance). The Slave I is a little more exclusive than I'd like, but since it's an on-screen ship with some teeth and piloted by Solo's arch-nemesis, it had to be in.

But basically the consideration for a fighter, as I see it, is "Can this fighter be realistically represented by a generic version?" Xizor's Virago for example might be a future release because there was a baseline version produced after Xizor's death and Xizor's specialized Virgao itself… which might have better evasion or attack numbers to represent his improved version of the craft. I personally woudln't be buying it (Since my interest is in mass produced imperial ships), but I can see some people wanting a few to play as a criminal faction (along with a few Firesprays and maybe a YT-1300).

Uglies, then, don't really fit this bill because there is no standard Ugly fighter. There's a general configuration on how the parts are assembled but it's not like they were factory produced to any kind of specification.

CloakShapes on the other hand, can be bracketed by conversion kits since once upon a time they were a standard fighter but saw generic modifications across a lot of common avenues. It would be interesting to see after all, a fighter with only one unique pilot but perhaps five different kinds of common pilots when it comes in the pack.

Really though, for the moment I hope FFG sticks along the classic rebel craft and TIEs until the sensible ones have been covered (TIE/D, TIE/Ad, TIE Scout? TIE Vanguard?). I personally don't have much interest in non-TIE imperial fighters. Perhaps the A-9 Vigilance, but I'll always be moved to pick TIE/Ln over that ship unless I felt like doing something different.

I would actively scorn Yuzzan-Vong fighters if they appeared on the table though, and likely have legitimacy with gameplay because they were so game changing in the EU when they appeared. I'd need my firepower-heavy TIE/Ds just to counter the bull mechanics that would likely be introduced with Yuzzan-Vong tech.

#19 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

no to yuzzan vong i am old enough to remember what came after jedi in the orignal comics and it wasnt the Vong they just dont fit

#20 Xnath

Xnath

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

Cloud city ship.  They were just all around dumb ship that belongs in the prequels.

But I think in order to keep the game fresh, FFG will eventually add prequel ships.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS