Jump to content



Photo

Nov 24: NYC "Red Saturday" Joust (A Black Friday Tradition)


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

SAVE THE DATE!

New York will host this year's 8th Annual Black Friday Joust Tournament on Saturday, calling it "Red Saturday." The date has been moved from Friday to Saturday to accommodate travelers who traditionally attend this annual event.

Location has not yet been finalized--2-3 options are under consideration. The venue will be accessible by public transportation. More details will be announced on these message boards and at www.Meetup.com/Thrones as the date approaches.

As New York's largest joust (1v1) event of the year, participants will have the opportunity to take home a variety of prizes, including the Red Saturday Trophy.

 

COMPETE FOR CONTROL OF THE REALM!
The event will follow standard FFG guidelines for a 1 vs. 1 “Joust” competition. FFG lists full rules for competitive play on its website (www.fantasyflightgames.com).

• Five preliminary rounds of “Swiss” styled 1 vs. 1 pairing, with cut to top four or top eight (depending on turnout) for quarter- or semi-finals.
• All A Game of Thrones LCG cards released by or before November 1, 2012 are legal for this event, excluding those “banned” for competition in FFG’s most recent FAQ.
• The event will adhere to the most recently posted FAQ on FFG’s website, posted here: http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=10&esem=4.

CASUAL MELEE ON FRIDAY, NOV 23

For those who are in NYC on Friday, November 23, we will hold a casual melee tournament at 1:00pm. This will not be part of the official tournament, but we will have some limited prize support (and bragging rights throughout the year). This is a fantastic opportunity to connect with friends you rarely see, and will likely involve a late-night trip to a nearby restaurant/bar.

For questions about either event, prizes, or legality of cards, please post here or contact Dan with the NYC Night’s Watch at NightsWatchNYC@gmail.com.
 



#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

 In for the last tourney of the season! GG NYC!



#3 Vaapad

Vaapad

    Member

  • Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

 Looking forward to my first tourney!


"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#4 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

One of these years….

Have fun guys!



#5 WWDrakey

WWDrakey

    Member

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ratatoskr said:

One of these years….

Have fun guys!

+1



#6 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

I may actually only be at the melee this year, the saturday is actually problematic. But I will do my best to make the event.



#7 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

 ttt bumpskies for the nyc crew.



#8 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Just curious, who all is planning on traveling/attending?

I suspect we'll have a record number from the NYC area, but fewer travelers overall. I'm expecting around 10 from NYC alone, but I've heard that Erick and Corey are unable to make it due to Thanksgiving holiday plans this year.

Who else from DC/Boston/DE are planning to attend?



#9 WolfgangSenff

WolfgangSenff

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Twn2dn said:

Just curious, who all is planning on traveling/attending?

I suspect we'll have a record number from the NYC area, but fewer travelers overall. I'm expecting around 10 from NYC alone, but I've heard that Erick and Corey are unable to make it due to Thanksgiving holiday plans this year.

Who else from DC/Boston/DE are planning to attend?

 

Yo.


In the beginning, there was void. The hand woke up, then there was noise. Fire and water. Heaven and stone. Radio kings, hammer and throne. - Clutch


#10 The Red Woman

The Red Woman

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Booked my flight! I really need a hobby that doesn't make me leave Florida in November…



#11 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

    Member

  • Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

I will likely drive up for this. Hopefully that encourages others from the meta to go as well. We need a DC presence at the tournament.



#12 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

 I'm in but don't know about driving. Traffic is nuts around that time. I also haven't gotten confirmation on lodging yet cough cough ^^.



#13 The Red Woman

The Red Woman

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

dcdennis said:

 I'm in but don't know about driving. Traffic is nuts around that time. I also haven't gotten confirmation on lodging yet cough cough ^^.

 

I have a couple of places I'm looking at. There will definitely be a hotel room close to public transit. I was delaying a bit to see if I could get a final location before I booked the hotel so I could try to walk as little as possible -- I have to maintain my figure.



#14 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Is that 1pm casual melee time set in stone? There is a  real cheap amtrak ticket that puts me at penn station by noon on Friday. How far from Penn station is the venue? Would 1hour be enough?

 

edit: went ahead and booked it anyways since it was 1/2 the price of the next highest ticket. i arrive at 12:05 to penn station friday, hopefully that gets me there in time.



#15 mdc273

mdc273

    Member

  • Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Pretty much all the potential venues are within 30 minutes of Penn Station. 45 - 60 minutes should be the max from Penn Station depending on how the trains are running.

Also, Amtrak probably is the best way to get there. Traffic is miserable and I always take Amtrak over the bus to get back to my parents' on Thanksgiving week.



#16 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

mdc273 said:

Pretty much all the potential venues are within 30 minutes of Penn Station. 45 - 60 minutes should be the max from Penn Station depending on how the trains are running.

Also, Amtrak probably is the best way to get there. Traffic is miserable and I always take Amtrak over the bus to get back to my parents' on Thanksgiving week.

awesome, ill probably cab it just to be safe.



#17 Bomb

Bomb

    Cool Person Club

  • Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

dcdennis said:

 

mdc273 said:

 

Pretty much all the potential venues are within 30 minutes of Penn Station. 45 - 60 minutes should be the max from Penn Station depending on how the trains are running.

Also, Amtrak probably is the best way to get there. Traffic is miserable and I always take Amtrak over the bus to get back to my parents' on Thanksgiving week.

 

 

awesome, ill probably cab it just to be safe.

 

 

Make sure they don't "mishear" you and take you on the opposite side of the city on that street.  That's happened to me before and I wanted to punch the cab driver in the head.



#18 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

 having only been to nyc one other time in my adult life, i have no idea what that means.



#19 Vaapad

Vaapad

    Member

  • Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

dcdennis said:

 having only been to nyc one other time in my adult life, i have no idea what that means.

 

a given street in manhattan may have 2 street addresses sharing the same number, differentiated by East and West.  For example, 300 West 14 Street and 300 East 14th Street both exist, but they are on opposite sides of the island (8th ave and 2nd ave, about a mile apart).  I assume something like that is what happened to Bomb?


"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#20 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Vaapad said:

dcdennis said:

 

 having only been to nyc one other time in my adult life, i have no idea what that means.

 

 

 

a given street in manhattan may have 2 street addresses sharing the same number, differentiated by East and West.  For example, 300 West 14 Street and 300 East 14th Street both exist, but they are on opposite sides of the island (8th ave and 2nd ave, about a mile apart).  I assume something like that is what happened to Bomb?

 

pardon my retardation, but then isnt that just two different streets? East Windsor and North Windsor are two different towns, not one town with two names.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS