Photo

Crown of Command / Blood Moon Werewolf Alternative ending evading question! - please help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thewindsorchapter

thewindsorchapter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Been playing Talisman for years now and believe I have a fairly good grasp of the rules but please could you answer my question if you have time!

So, we're playing 4th edition Blood moon expansion and I am on the crown of command.

We are playing the blood moon werewolf alternative ending card and I am attacking a player who is on the valley of fire space. Its night. I am attacking him as its my turn and I am on the crown of command space. I am a Lycanthrope and am therefore attacking him because the rules on the alternative ending card say I can chose to. He has a nightshroud card and therefore can evade during the night.

What takes priority? Can I attack him because the rules on the alternative ending card say I can? Or can he evade me because his nightshroud says he can?

Please help as this would really assist in settling a heated dispute.

Tom and Co.

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

You can attack him, in fact, you MUST attack him, but he can evade if he has such an effect available. The forced attack just means you can't encounter another character and use your special ability (if any) in the encounter, but you have to enter combat.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 thewindsorchapter

thewindsorchapter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

so theoretically, I can be on the Crown of Command and be at a complete stalemate until the other character makes his way to the crown? Or at least until he is no longer able to evade me (i.e. in this case it turns to day)?

It just seems very boring if I have to wait a lengthy amount of time for something to happen over which I have abolsutely no control. Also, say for instance the other character decided to continuously make his way to the crown and then bail the game could go on forever?

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Technically, yes. Although, why is he even moving toward the Crown and on the Inner Region if he can't take on either you or the Werewolf? If he backtracks on the Inner Region, he'll have to go back to the Plain of Peril (one space per turn) before he can move back toward the center and unless he has Str or Craft 16+, there is a chance he'll bounce out of the Inner Region, might be forced to draw an Adventure card that might flip Night to Day.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

thewindsorchapter said:

so theoretically, I can be on the Crown of Command and be at a complete stalemate until the other character makes his way to the crown? Or at least until he is no longer able to evade me (i.e. in this case it turns to day)?

It just seems very boring if I have to wait a lengthy amount of time for something to happen over which I have abolsutely no control. Also, say for instance the other character decided to continuously make his way to the crown and then bail the game could go on forever?

It seems you cannot harm him, because with nightshroud, he can evade you, because it´s night.

The other player should move from the valley of fire to the crown and kill the werewolf. Then you can end the game:)

#6 thewindsorchapter

thewindsorchapter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

thanks for the reply.

it just seems…messy almost, that with the command spell the chances of you getting a hit (aside from the 50% dice roll) are greater as there are far fewer cards that prevent it from being cast. Hence you cannot leave the crown. Whereas there is a much greater probability that a character can evade sucessfully for a alternative ending such as the werewolf ending and that you can be at stalemate for a much much greater length of time. Because you still cannot leave the crown.

Also off topic…

A fire salamander destroys all cards once revealed. But say its taken as a trophy and those trophys are shuffled and redealt to the board as enemys (restless dead adventure card for example). Has it been revealed again? does it destroy all cards on the board again?

see I love playing talisman. But its situations such as this that can make it quite a frustrating game. We thought scenarios such as this came about rarely hence no need to clarify them specifically in any rules. But after researching online its apparent there are many…glitches if you will… that detract from the overall experience.

#7 thewindsorchapter

thewindsorchapter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

another scenario.

Someone is on the crown of command. they can't leave, only cast the command spell. Someone else is in the middle region with a poltergeist and a prince/princess and is essentially next to the castle. Stalemate again no? Keep moving off and back to the castle always gaining health whilst the other player has a 50% chance of you losing a life on his attack.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

thewindsorchapter said:

thanks for the reply.

it just seems…messy almost, that with the command spell the chances of you getting a hit (aside from the 50% dice roll) are greater as there are far fewer cards that prevent it from being cast. Hence you cannot leave the crown. Whereas there is a much greater probability that a character can evade sucessfully for a alternative ending such as the werewolf ending and that you can be at stalemate for a much much greater length of time. Because you still cannot leave the crown.

I think that a stalemate will not happen.

He will simply move to the crown of command from the valley of fire, and he fight the werewolf! If he kill the werewolf, he wins the game. If he lose, then he can try again in his next turn, if he is still alive.

If the other character becomes a werewolf too, then he must attack you. If he win the battle, he wins the game. If he lose the battle, then you can hurt him!

#9 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

thewindsorchapter said:

another scenario.

Someone is on the crown of command. they can't leave, only cast the command spell. Someone else is in the middle region with a poltergeist and a prince/princess and is essentially next to the castle. Stalemate again no? Keep moving off and back to the castle always gaining health whilst the other player has a 50% chance of you losing a life on his attack.

IF he has the poltergeist and IF he has a prince/princess and IF he is next to the Castle…

Can ONLY cast command spell?? No…Where does it say this? The character on the coc can still cast spells so if he takes the poltergeist or something else… POOF.. Read page 13 in the Talisman Rules "A character may only cast one spell during another characters turn. This Does Not apply to the Command Spell".

Anyway its alot of IF's in a huge adventure deck. But not a stalemate

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS