Best R2 unit for Wedge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chris cook

chris cook

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

What does everyone feel the best R2 unit for wedge is to keep him alive for awhile.  I have him with swarm tactics,  2 Rookies, and a Y wing with Ion Cannon.

Thanks

#2 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

chris cook said:

What does everyone feel the best R2 unit for wedge is to keep him alive for awhile.  I have him with swarm tactics,  2 Rookies, and a Y wing with Ion Cannon.

Thanks

I like R2-D2. Is wedge your only named pilot? Also, how many points is your team? 100?

#3 SuperSoldier

SuperSoldier

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

For me it's either R2-D2, R5, or a generic R2. 

I've seen some say R2-D2 is overrated…but simply put he is basically free healing without an action. R5 I use in builds where I feel another ship's shields are more important. And when I don't have points for either R2 is always great because those extra green maneuvers imo make the X-Wings more flexible in being able to to immelman turns.

I'm a big advocate of action economy as a rebel pilot, anything that can give me bonuses without using up my precious actions I'm okay with. 

#4 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I go with R2-D2, since Wedge should be rocking Marksman as well and always in full offensive mode. R2 is there to regenerate shields from the hits he's bound to take, and since you'll probably be executing a lot of K-turns to keep him in the fight, it's a free recharge when you drop the stress token afterwards.

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

R2-D2 is good, but I find that Wedge becomes a target early on. If you can use this to your advantage, that's great. For example, positioning your other ships to come in from the side when your opponent guns for Commander Antilles.

My bro tried out R2 Astromech + Expert Handling and used those barrel rolls to great effect. Then, to remove the stress, he had more options for his maneuvers, making him downright impossible to predict. I've heard others mention this tactic, and I'm now a believer.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Parakitor said:

R2-D2 is good, but I find that Wedge becomes a target early on. If you can use this to your advantage, that's great. For example, positioning your other ships to come in from the side when your opponent guns for Commander Antilles.

My bro tried out R2 Astromech + Expert Handling and used those barrel rolls to great effect. Then, to remove the stress, he had more options for his maneuvers, making him downright impossible to predict. I've heard others mention this tactic, and I'm now a believer.

I can see a lot of potential there, but I would feel a bit like I was overpaying vs. Vader and what he has. Taking up your slots and extra points to get to a TIE Advanced equivilant.

#7 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

That's a fave combo of mine as well, R2 Astro + Expert Handling.

Wedge is much more of a downright assassin than Vader.  His 4 Attack vs 2 D on Ties at range 1 is sick.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#8 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

My favorite Astromech for Wedge is R2-F2.  It makes what is already a beast attacker into a hard target to hit as well.  Not a guaranteed evade like the evade action, but having that extra Defense die has saved my butt many times.

Since Wedge's ability isn't based on an action, I find that giving him a droid that uses his action isn't a hardship.  Plus once you take R2-F2's action it's in effect the whole turn, not just limited to effecting one combat like focus is.

-DavicusPrime

#9 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

I find the best R2 unit you can give him is Biggs.

Seriously, team him with Biggs and put the agility droid with Biggs.  Then Wedge doesn't need a droid.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS