Request for Deluxe Movement Templates

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

After a few games I can see how the cardboard jobbies can end up getting worn. I'd like to see some nice looking deluxe templates, along the line of Games Workshop's Warhammer and 40k line, for this game.

#2 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

+1

We need acrylic.  Same for the dials.

#3 cmdrcody

cmdrcody

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

sepayne7l said:

After a few games I can see how the cardboard jobbies can end up getting worn. I'd like to see some nice looking deluxe templates, along the line of Games Workshop's Warhammer and 40k line, for this game.

sepayne7l said:

Litko has these, but I detest the straights all being on one, and the price (ridiculous - $34.99?).

http://www.litko.net/product_images/b/404/GMG105-product-main__00719_zoom.jpg

#4 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'm not sure I'd like the 4-in-1 turns either.  I'd have to play them to know for sure, but am hesitant to invest $35 to experiment.

#5 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

i'd prefer ones just like the cardboard jobbies… those litko ones would involve so much more unnecessary ship movement with as tight as games tend to get… but totally love the idea of them, and would pay that price for replicas of the core set in acrylic…

#6 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I would definitely pay for acrylic versions of the original maneuver templates, but the ones in the picture are scary.  It's hard enough at times to get the regular maneuver templates on the board without moving other ships, but with these you almost have to remove every ship in your firing arc from the board just to move one.  This is beyond ludicrous.  Reminds me of one of the mutant toys from the original Toy Story.

Roy

#7 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

I can see why they would try to make the plastic templates like that to save money, but practically they would be impossible to use.  Keep trying Litko, or FFG get off your butts and give us official ones.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#8 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Those are just terrible…for all the reasons already mentioned!

FFG should license it out to GF9 (I find their items far superior to Litko in terms of usability in a game, in general).  I'm sure GF9 would make a great set, just like they do for all the other games they license product for.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#9 anarchy

anarchy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

Those 4-in-1 turns were designed by someone who hasn't played the game. It's difficult enough to use the single turn templates at times.

#10 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I don't think I could use the Litko ones. I can see the smacking other ships with the plastic while trying to make a left turn.

If I had my choice, it would be FFGs base set design (including separate different length straight aways) and individual turns in a nice plastic or acrylic.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I personally like the cardboard ones. If mine get worn, I'll punch out the templates from my second core set. I guess the issue is that I play most of my game on Vassal, rather than in person, so I don't see as much wear on my templates. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it now, though.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

cmdrcody said:

sepayne7l said:

sepayne7l said:

Litko has these, but I detest the straights all being on one, and the price (ridiculous - $34.99?).

The composite idea is good, but there is no need for them to go both directions.  If they didn't do that, they may have been useful on the table.  I respect the thought process, but it was obviously designed by someone who thought there wouldn't be more than two or three ships on the table. 

I second the motion that some hardier templates are warranted, though. 

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#13 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'm in the process of designing some for myself. If I ever finish, I'll post.

#14 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Those are one great big pile of suck! And the move dials from Litko are even worse! Completely useless as far as gameplay.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#15 CappyTom

CappyTom

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

cmdrcody said:

sepayne7l said:

sepayne7l said:

That price is too high for me. I would rather buy another base set and clear-coat the templates. At least I would get more ships. Also the ships get real tight in combat which make these already obsolete. Although Litko does make some great flame markers and smoke markers that I have already gotten from them.  They are a great company for enhancing games. I just feel they missed the mark on this one. Good try guys.

#16 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Emrico said:

And the move dials from Litko are even worse! Completely useless as far as gameplay.

Jim

What makes you say that? They look very useful and versatile to me.

The settings on the dials in the example images are invalid in some cases, but they'll let you choose any of the valid maneuvers in the game. You'd just use a reference chart for your ship's maneuver options, which some players are already fond of.

When designing custom ships for scenarios or whatever, the dials will let you do just about anything.

I'd much rather have a universal maneuver dial than a ship-specific one.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#17 chrisrivers

chrisrivers

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

I think Core Sec Engineering is going to do a set of acrylic templates.

Chris

#18 Xnath

Xnath

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

The litko templates look way to bulky.  Good in theory,  but not practical at all.

Would be a pain to use in every game I've ever played. 

#19 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Those are clearly not well thought out or playtested.  Why in the world do the turns and banks need to be going to both directions?!  You just flip them over.  Those would be awful in hairball dog fights.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS