A new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Character Creator

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm not sure how many people are interested, but I've made a Character Creator (in MS Excel format). 

Here are a few of the features:

• A random name generator for Imperial humans, dwarves, elves, and halflings;
  • Supports creating all core races, as well as halflings, ogres, all new human choices (Averlander, etc.), and all new dwarf types;
  • Support for generating three entirely random careers;
  • Generating three random careers chosen only from your specific racial choice! That's right, no more, "okay, draw another career";
  • Calculating your current remaining character points in real time;
  • An easy-to-use interface. Just click a few buttons and select from a few menus and you've got a character;
  • Helps you make an informed choice by showing you the skills and special ability for whichever career you've selected;
  • Shows you all of the racial special abilities for whichever race you've chosen;
  • Tells you all of the equipment you start the game with based upon which wealth level you choose.

So what doesn't it do?
It won't help you choose talents or actions. This is by design. If you play on the tabletop (or mimic that style), each player gets to choose a unique action or talent. Once they choose it, the card is theirs. This prevents anyone else from taking it. Obviously, I can't do that here so it isn't included. Also, it's a HELL of a lot of typing!

What still needs to be done?

• I am looking to update the formula to prevent the user from raising a stat beyond 5. This is more of a wish-list item since it tells you on the screen not to go beyond a 5, but for new players this would be helpful;
  • I am looking to update the formula to prevent the user from spending points down to less-than-zero. Again, a wish-list item since you can see how many points you've spent (and it's color coded too).

A special note: The only place where I have diverged from the core rules is regarding starting equipment. The following are my two changes to the default equipment:

• If a character chooses to begin play at a "comfortable' wealth level, they are now permitted to choose a bow along with all of the other choices. It just seemed odd that no one could ever begin with a normal bow. Crossbows and longbows, sure, but not a regular bow?
  • If you choose to begin as an "affluent' character you get the option to take an exceptional quality hand weapon. The reason for this is simply because all of the other weapons provide something special (heck, you are affluent, right?). The difference in cost might seem significant, but it is far more satisfying to begin play as an affluent character who bears the heirloom sword of your ancestors rather than a plain old sword. Oh, and don't worry. The extra fortune die is not going to change the course of mighty nations, even for a starting character!

If either of these changes are not to your liking, just tell your players that they are not available, but neither will have any real effect upon your campaign.

Let me know what you think (and report any bugs you find)!

The link to the file is here. You'll probably need to join the Google group to get it.

--Steve of the Red Fez--

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

Steve, I look forward to checking it out.

I'll bring my mutant :)

jh

#3 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

As typically happens, I've already made some fixes based upon feedback (a simple problem with the career randomizer). I'll let you know when I post the fixed version along with a link. I'm waiting on more feedback so I can do a more significant fix per each release.

#4 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I've been wondering how people would feel if I included the various new High Elves which Yepesnopes' created in his incredibly well done "Book of the Asur"? At least he racial choices if not the actual new basic careers? It's probably the only chance we've got at seeing a High Elf expansion and it is remarkably well done. I haven't gotten to play with any of it yet. Does anyone have any thoughts?

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

I think it's a good idea for completion.

When I redid the random career chart rolls (download at RPGgeek.com), I included a section for "fan option."

jh

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I checked it out.  Great start.  Get it functional and you can add stuff like house rules later.

Also, see if you can get it to print in a coherent form as well

Ogre naming:  use the ogre kingdoms resource for WFB.

Don't forget the LIBER FANATICA careers and stuff.

Once your basics are down, you can add things like randomness for the 10 questions, mounts, pets, quality items (poor or superior..poor quality pistols are common in our group because good ones are too expensive :), advanced or multiple-career characters, etc.

Make it prettier (boxes and SOME…some…color changes make it more user friendly).

Also put in some kind of "total reset" button.

jh

#7 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I've released an updated version. It includes some fixes and ogre names.

#8 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Emirikol, the character creator is 100% functional. The things I mentioned in my first post cover 90% of the mechanical character creation process. It does everything just shy of action cards and talents.

As for the expanded content you mentioned (10 questions, mounts, pets, quality items, advanced or multiple-career characters), it goes beyond what I designed this for. The core intent was to allow a player (especially a new player) to make a character very quickly, with no errors, no need for hand-holding, and with no reference to the books. Once done, he or she could then copy it onto a character sheet and choose their action cards and talents. I think it is already incredibly complete. I'm looking to make sure it's as bug free as possible (so far it's been little things I changed when adding new stuff that has had to be fixed).

#9 LoveSkylark

LoveSkylark

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Nice Job!

You can allso get Ogre names at http://www.scribd.co...RP-Ogres-2nd-Ed

#10 Steve (of the Red Fez)

Steve (of the Red Fez)

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks, that document was actually really helpful!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS