• 219 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

Some Wonderland inspired monsters.

#2 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

For those people who think the current Jabberwock is too powerful, a remake of my first attempt.

#3 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

dkw said:

Some Wonderland inspired monsters.

Where do the Playing Card Soldiers appear?  And do you mean to say that they get weaker the more monsters are at their location or stronger?  Currently, them being at a location with a mask would make them do 2 damage with a +0 combat modifier.  Did you mean to say -1 Combat Modifier and +1 Damage?

#4 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

The playing cards are just there to add to the monster cup if people want them.  If I, or someone else, can create a decent Queen of Hearts Ancient One, they could use them.

Yes, you are right, it should be -1 Modifier and +1 Damage.

#5 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

dkw said:

The playing cards are just there to add to the monster cup if people want them.  If I, or someone else, can create a decent Queen of Hearts Ancient One, they could use them.

How can people add printed out monsters to the monster cup and give them a realistic feel when you're grabbing for monsters?

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

dkw said:

For the picture, if you choose ot do it :')

http://www.medusasworld.nl/acts/queenofhearts1.jpg

It's a bit small...  But if it's enlarged and run through a blur filter on Photoshop it shouldn't be a problem.

#7 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

You could add monsters from an expansion that you aren't using to represent them; so when you draw that expansion monster you replace it with a printed monster.
Although expensive, you can purchase card stock paper for a printer, both for card type and cardboard token type needs.
You could also make something up like, "When (insert event) happens (insert number) of times, use the printed monster."  Example: Every 10th monster is a printed monster.  OR  Use a printed monster as one of the Monster Surge monsters.

Custom content isn't easy to incorporate when it is something like Monsters, Items, Cards, etc., but it can be done with a little thinking.

#8 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

Avi_dreader said:

dkw said:

How can people add printed out monsters to the monster cup and give them a realistic feel when you're grabbing for monsters?

Just take the first things you grab and be sure to keep it in an opaque container. It's been working well for me so far.

Alternatively, you could just create two monster cups and either alternate between them or roll to see where you draw from.

#9 Paul Stoney

Paul Stoney

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

Avi_dreader, I've been asking myself that same question about creating realistic-feeling monster tiles.

Previously, I simply printed both sides together, laminated, folded over and taped together.  As long as you dive into the monster cup and pull the first thing you touch, it's a tolerable system.

Recently I've been looking for heavy-pressed cardboard.  My plan is to print the fronts and backs separately on sticker sheets and apply them to the cardboard, since there is no way a home printer will accept 3mm-thick sheets.  No luck at Staples or Office Depot.  If no suitable options arise, I will experiment with layering sticker sheets.

#10 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

You might want to try Photography stores, and maybe Hobby Stores as well when looking for the cardboard.  Specialty printer stores should also be on your list of places to look.

My printer, which is almost 10 years old with double sided printing capability, can print fine on non-corregated cardboard of 3mm.  It has a built in paper flip device, so you may want a printer like that.

#11 Lord of Squirrels

Lord of Squirrels

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Here is my favorite monster from the Monster in My Pocket series 1990's. The pic is actually of the toy so it really doesn't fit AH, but I just think he looks cool. If I played him I would use a different pic.

Basically he is a huge lazy scaly monster who eats anything that gets in his way. Investigator Kibble and Bits: yum.

#12 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

#13 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

Aside from it just being a Monster, there is no Incentive to battle the Bringer of Apocalypse.

#14 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

there is no incentive to defeat most of the monsters in the game what's your point? the bringer is pretty easy to kill.

#15 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

The point is that no one is going to even consider using it.  Beat it or lose the game.  Toss into the "ignore bin."

#16 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

kroen said:

I love Dagon mechanically, but I hate that you reduced him to mere monster status. I am torn.

Anyways, Bringer of Apocalypse is really cool, if a bit easy to kill, or even just escape. Give it a -1 evade check to make it a viable threat and I'll be a happy gopher.

#17 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Well I don't want an investigator that isn't ready to meet with the bringer in an encounter. Sure he's easy enough, but if you have a low fight investigator with no weapons (not so uncommon) I don't want the game to just be over, so I gave him the possibility of escape.

Also yeah, I didn't know Dagon was suppoused to be an Ancient One, sorry about that... forgive me Dagon

#18 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Then it would be better if the monster is used with a Herald or Ancient One instead of being drawn out of the Cup.

#19 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

dkw said:

The point is that no one is going to even consider using it.  Beat it or lose the game.  Toss into the "ignore bin."

Wouldn't it make an annoying random encounter though? ;'D

#20 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

kroen said:

Well I don't want an investigator that isn't ready to meet with the bringer in an encounter. Sure he's easy enough, but if you have a low fight investigator with no weapons (not so uncommon) I don't want the game to just be over, so I gave him the possibility of escape.

Also yeah, I didn't know Dagon was suppoused to be an Ancient One, sorry about that... forgive me Dagon

Eh, I suppose. Most random monster encounters seem to show up in otherworlds (Or certain locations in town), so I see no problem in penalizing those who try to combat the mythos unprepared.

Maybe just rename the monster? Some sort of Deep One High Priest (Though not that, as it could be a monster in Innsmouth) or other synonym. Maybe even 'Herald of Dagon'. It's too cool a monster to let a simple irritation (On my part) push it aside.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS