gold/influence Location chapter pack

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Its actually an idea/suggestion that keeps spinning in my head that would make every agot lcg palyer really happy!!

How many of you do have surplus characters-attachments- events and lack the gold/influence providing locations to form a viable deck?

How many of you have already bought the core set multiple times just to form additional decks?( i know i have…)

Ok, you can always switch the locations between decks but still its really time consuming if you want to play the decks as well…The way i see it, basic locations are just essentials to every deck build and you dont have the option to replace them with other cards, so you cant have them in 3x like the rest of the cards. Say for example i want to build a war crest,a holy,a discard and a choke GJ deck, i have to buy kings of the sea 4x just for the locations.

Imagine now a chapter pack that would have the basic locations of each house (+neutral), that would be pretty awesome 

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

If its anything I have an abundance of its resource locations. I could paper machete(sp?) a football stadium from the extra great keeps I have.

#3 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

dcdennis said:

If its anything I have an abundance of its resource locations. I could paper machete(sp?) a football stadium from the extra great keeps I have.

And the playing field would be covered by my Crossroads, inch by inch.

#4 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

The only locations I really struggle with are the neutral reducers, like Shadowblack Lane or Street of Silk. I almost always have a few of these in every deck I build, and I'm constantly scrounging through my other decks to fill out the ones I'm missing. I liked that they included Street of Steel in the Stark boxset, but it would've been nice to have Street of Sisters or Shadowblack Lane show up in the Baratheon or Lannister expansions.

#5 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

alpha5099 said:

The only locations I really struggle with are the neutral reducers, like Shadowblack Lane or Street of Silk. I almost always have a few of these in every deck I build, and I'm constantly scrounging through my other decks to fill out the ones I'm missing. I liked that they included Street of Steel in the Stark boxset, but it would've been nice to have Street of Sisters or Shadowblack Lane show up in the Baratheon or Lannister expansions.

I usually have around 6 decks built at the same time, and the only economic locations I often have to swap around decks are Street of Sisters and River Row. Now if I could get my hands on extra copies of Valar and Retaliation, that would be dandy.

#6 widowmaker93

widowmaker93

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

Check out TeamCovenant.com as they sell singles of all the cards you are looking for…Valar, all the streets, and you can order individual houses from the core set so if you just play Stark you can purchase just the Stark cards(not the neutrals though. I.e. Jon Snow, Benjen. Those are sold separate). It's a good way to pick up extra plots and events that are used often. Hope that helps!

#7 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

So im the only one lacking locations?? 

Lets try to work the maths a bit….

You need to build decks of 60s and make room for at least 10-12 points of gold/reduce per deck to make it viable. With the core set solo and the starter pack you can make 2,5 working decks for each house ( 2 for GJ and Martell). And thats including kohh agenda…  On the contrary there are 8 full seasons out there, counting 360 cards each, full of spare cards that cant form a deck without the locations..

@dcdennis & Ratatoskr :

sure xroads and great keep are the first locations to exclude from a competitive deck… but dont tell me you dont miss  Narrow Sea, Summer Sea, searoad and roseroad and the neutral reducers from core.

I like getting my cards sleeved and boxed,ready for play and it sure is a trouble moving the locations around each time you want to play a different deck..

#8 kauai1964

kauai1964

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

Have you posted the cards you're looking for on the Trade Forum?

#9 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

i have plenty of those too. 4x core sets. so no, i dont miss narrow sea, and all my cards are sleeved and good to go, no interchanging. sry we dont feel your pain :P

#10 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

Great Keeps are in every Stark deck I build.

OK, let's do the math. Narrow Sea has 2 copies in the Core Set, 3 copies in Lords of Winter and 3 copies in Kings of the Storm. That means I own 14 copies. I can build 4-5 full Stark/Bara decks before I run out of Narrow Seas.

When I have more than one deck of the same house assembled at the same time, I run out of other staples from that house way before I run out of economic locations. Taking Stark as an example: If I have more than one Stark deck built at the same time, I will run out of cards like Bolton Refugee, Frozen Solid, Guard at Riverrun, Old Nan, Northern Cavalry Flank, Hungry Mob, Meera Reed, The Blackfish, etc. etc. long before I run out of Great Keeps and Narrow Seas. I have enough of these for 4 Stark decks. I have only 3 Frozen Solids, which isn't enough for two decks.

#11 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Yeah.  The Seas and the +1 limited Gold locations I never run out of really.  The only ones I seem to struggle to keep in all my decks are those neutral reducers because most of them are in many of my decks.  I also tend to run out of some of the best neutral events as well.

Unless I am playing in a tournament, I just try to proxy all the most commonly used cards because that saves me from switching them in and out of decks and the possibility of forgetting to add them back in is annoying.

#12 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

dcdennis said:

i have plenty of those too. 4x core sets. so no, i dont miss narrow sea, and all my cards are sleeved and good to go, no interchanging. sry we dont feel your pain :P

with 4x core i would feel no pain too…  However you are stack with even more spare cards that lack the locations to form a deck 

Ratatoskr said:

Great Keeps are in every Stark deck I build.

OK, let's do the math. Narrow Sea has 2 copies in the Core Set, 3 copies in Lords of Winter and 3 copies in Kings of the Storm. That means I own 14 copies. I can build 4-5 full Stark/Bara decks before I run out of Narrow Seas.

When I have more than one deck of the same house assembled at the same time, I run out of other staples from that house way before I run out of economic locations. Taking Stark as an example: If I have more than one Stark deck built at the same time, I will run out of cards like Bolton Refugee, Frozen Solid, Guard at Riverrun, Old Nan, Northern Cavalry Flank, Hungry Mob, Meera Reed, The Blackfish, etc. etc. long before I run out of Great Keeps and Narrow Seas. I have enough of these for 4 Stark decks. I have only 3 Frozen Solids, which isn't enough for two decks.

Hmmm…  2+3+3= 8. (unless u have core x4 too..) . As far as it concerns the other cards, i agree most of the cards you posted are auto include in most stark decks and would like to have them in numbers, but you still can replace them with others to make a competitive deck. If you already have all chapter packs, u have characters,attachments and locations for at least 10 Stark/bara decks. For example : Bara knights -lords -nobles- asshai - shadows, not to mention bara/wildings  or bara/night watch or even mixed deck with stark. All themed and all playable, you will miss gold/reducers to make them though 

#13 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

Bomb said:

Yeah.  The Seas and the +1 limited Gold locations I never run out of really.  The only ones I seem to struggle to keep in all my decks are those neutral reducers because most of them are in many of my decks.  I also tend to run out of some of the best neutral events as well.

Unless I am playing in a tournament, I just try to proxy all the most commonly used cards because that saves me from switching them in and out of decks and the possibility of forgetting to add them back in is annoying.

At last someone who sees my point (apart from the sea part). Thats the point of the post, not having to switch between decks. No one wants to trade those cards and you cant buy it in singles around the corner. You have to buy the starter packs and core all over just for avoiding the switch…

#14 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Well, I do have the Core Set x4 ;)

But I get where you're coming frm now. You're talking about having several complete and playable decks assembled at the same time, without them necessarily being the best deck they can be. You'd rather avoid maxing out the decks than having to swap cards around. You're right, in that constellation, the economic locations are the limiting factor. It's not how I roll, though, so I'm used to swapping cards between decks, and the economic locations are rarely a problem (except Street of Sisters and River Row, as mentioned before).

#15 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Ratatoskr said:

Well, I do have the Core Set x4 ;)

But I get where you're coming frm now. You're talking about having several complete and playable decks assembled at the same time, without them necessarily being the best deck they can be. You'd rather avoid maxing out the decks than having to swap cards around. You're right, in that constellation, the economic locations are the limiting factor. It's not how I roll, though, so I'm used to swapping cards between decks, and the economic locations are rarely a problem (except Street of Sisters and River Row, as mentioned before).

Thats my point exactly. Dont get me wrong i try to make the best decks that can be too. But after building those i like building playable themed decks with my spare cards instead of having them pilled up in a box. To that end im sure you would also prefer buying a location pack than buying the core for the 4th time (i realise 3x core is a must, just for the plots and events)

P.S please tell what u do with the extra boards-tokens- pieces etc 

#16 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

they are all my attic still in the plastic, except for 1 set of the melee figures that i mailed to someone on agotcards org cuz they said they lost theirs.

#17 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

There is no reason for FFG to release a "Commonly Used Cards" pack.  That would ruin their sales on the normal packs that contain them.  It would be excellent because it would be cheaper for everyone, but I just don't see it happening.  They can always toss 1 or 2 of them into any future deluxe expansions like they have done with Narrow Seas etc.

#18 Diaz

Diaz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Bomb said:

There is no reason for FFG to release a "Commonly Used Cards" pack.  That would ruin their sales on the normal packs that contain them.  It would be excellent because it would be cheaper for everyone, but I just don't see it happening.  They can always toss 1 or 2 of them into any future deluxe expansions like they have done with Narrow Seas etc.

I dont see it that way. It might be a good idea for FFG to reward loyal customers. You dont really need additional gold/reduce locations unless you have already spent 300+ € for the starters + enough chapter packs to have the need for more decks. 

#19 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Diaz said:

P.S please tell what u do with the extra boards-tokens- pieces etc 

Donated them to my game shop so that they are always available and no one has to carry around gold and power any more. 

~~

#20 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Diaz said:

Bomb said:

I dont see it that way. It might be a good idea for FFG to reward loyal customers. You dont really need additional gold/reduce locations unless you have already spent 300+ € for the starters + enough chapter packs to have the need for more decks. 

Well, I would generally welcome the common neutral reducers, but from a business perspective, commonly used card packs would be a bad business decision.  They may be the only reason to buy Queen of Dragons and Kings of the Storm for some folks.  Plus, in an LCG, some commonly used cards right now may no longer be that way in 1 year.  Now you have special packs created that will prove to be redundant and less needed while sitting on the shelves.

The could have done this for the popular Seasons cards, like Black or White raven, however they chose to just reprint those packs instead.

Every chapter pack includes piece of **** cards that no one wants to use.  Maybe someday they can be useful, but defining usefulness of cards by putting currently commonly used ones in their own packs can create a surplus of other packs and deluxe expansions.   They cannot assume that you already bought the packs they originally are contained in.  For example, Lions of the Rock has an excellent reducer in Street of Silk.  How many people are playing a lot of the Lannister cards in that pack?  I have no idea, but I can tell you that I have Street of Silk in most of my decks that are not Lannister.  Non-Lannister players may never buy the Lions of the Rock box if all the best neutral cards in it are available in a separate pack.

Unless there is a way for FFG to significantly profit from such a venture, I highly doubt they would release such a pack.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS