Small But Vicious Dog - Do they count?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Craftzero

Craftzero

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Well, obviously they count to the Ratcatcher.  :)  But specifically I am referring to whether they count as an ally.  

Take the melee action Backstab - It has a difficulty of 3 Misfortune.  But for each of your allies engaged with the enemy, it reduces this by 1 Misfortune.  Does the SBVD count?

Also, does the pet move on its own?  Should it roll initiative?  Or do we just assume that it moves with the player?

#2 Craftzero

Craftzero

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

What, no one has any input here?

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

Yes, they count.  No, they are not "intelligent", so they must be directed by the rat catcher to do specific actions (so same initiative as the Rat Catcher).  Otherwise, they just bark when you're trying to be sneaky, lick your face after licking their own bum, roll on dead stuff, and lurk around begging for scraps like most dogs :)

They're not like the intelligent and independent automaton's of D&D's druids who can talk, do tricks, and negotiate terms with the king.  They're just dogs ;)  Really small, but vicious dogs.

The SBVD in our group last session managed to shake a fimir off of a tower to it's doom..but suffered obedience loss all the way down to zero…

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Here's an article on WFRP3 animal trainers:  www.liberfanatica.net/LF7download.html

jh

#4 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Craftzero said:

Well, obviously they count to the Ratcatcher.  :)  But specifically I am referring to whether they count as an ally.  

Take the melee action Backstab - It has a difficulty of 3 Misfortune.  But for each of your allies engaged with the enemy, it reduces this by 1 Misfortune.  Does the SBVD count?

Also, does the pet move on its own?  Should it roll initiative?  Or do we just assume that it moves with the player?

I currently play the rat-catcher in Emirikol's game.

I consider it an ally.

The SBVD moves on my initiative, not on its own, and I direct it.

Interesting question about Backstab. My ratcatcher has that card! But I did not consider that the pet would reduce the dice by one. Good question. I will yield to Emirikol's interpretation. 

I used Bite and Shake to good effect and as Emirikol mentioned, Man's Best Friend allowed the ratcatcher to avoid a crit. And yes, that took the SBVD effectively out of the combat since obedience points were gone and my ratcatcher was busy fighting Fimir daemons and falling off a tower into a sacrificial pit of watery filth and blood. Arg! :(

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I agree with Emirikol.

As a GM I'd count it as an ally, just like I would a friendly NPC.

However, since the SBVD is also essentially an extension of the Ratcatcher PC, only operating by use of Tricks that the Ratcatcher has, I would not roll a separate initiative for it and would have it act on the same initiative as the Ratcatcher.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS