• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

FOR INQUISTORIAL EYES ONLY - THE RESTLESS DEAD

It is with no small amount of pride that I present to you, fellow inquisitors a brief guide to the signs, classification and dangers of the various types of Undead forces that can, or seemingly can, force the good citizens of the Emperor to rise from the dead or to lose their mind in unholy opposition to the peoples and governance of the Most Holy Imperium.
While many of us initially associate such things with one of the ruinous powers my research has brought numerous case studies to support the theory that these are not only widespread amongst the dark powers but also of a heretical xeno origin. This further validates the creation of our Ordo and I beseech you to heed this writings. Incorrectly identifying the cause and spread of these diseases could have dire ramifications for the success of your containment operation.

NB: Presented here is the abridged entry for quick clarification and should any of these diseases be suspected you should refer to the full text for previous case studies and theories.

Inquisitor Fulchi
Ordo Sepulturum

I'll be putting some semi character descriptions of some zombie plagues that curse the Imperium. Feel free to join in, in most cases these are directly taken from movies, comics or books. I'll be putting the main types in a chapter of there own, so for different versions just change add it as 1.1 etc.

There has already been some complaints of too may zombies turning up in the 40k universe, bah I say, bah and humbug. Of course I'm not suggesting that we all run an Ordo Sepulturum campaign but if you ever wanted to include a zombie outbreak maybe you want one that is a little different from the norm. I also realise that Ordo Sepulturum was created during the 13th Black Crusade which is after the standard setting for DH but you could always use this from another ordo's notes or Inquisitor Fulchi prior to him joining the new Ordo.

#2 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Chapter 1, Plague Zombies

When one begins to discuss humans rising from the dead it is common amongst my peers to immediately think of  the Plague Zombies. Shambling unholy abominations cloaked in a cadaverous shell.
However the danger is to believe that you know everything necessary to combat them. This hubris has been the downfall of an number of Imperial agents. As with all that is spawned by the ruinous powers in their damned dimension this is highly variable and easily mistaken for other causes of re-animation. As variable as these are most are known to be caused by the power or follows of that foul ruinous power Nurgle, the Great Corrupter.

Identification: As completely undead creatures Warp Zombies display almost none of the vital signals given off by equivalent living creatures. The heart and breathing stops and therefore there is no pulse, breath noise or sign, upon dying they quickly cool to ambient temperature. As they are animated beyond death these monsters quickly begin to desiccate and rot becoming more fearsome and disease ridden.
Several sources have noticed very low levels of bio-electricity and brain activity. This has not conclusively been proved to be signs 'thinking' as a counter theory holds (and has been fairly widely accepted) that this is natural result of the creatures own movement, which would mean that they are completely animated by warp energies.
On that note it is prudent to mention that as warp creatures they can be often be detected by the normal methods of detecting psychic effects.
Again, it must be stated that there seems to be a great variety to the undead beasts. Some move as fast as when they were alive but the majority are slow and lumbering. Usually this is dependant on the type of disease, in the wars in the Cadia sector, the diseases  (while there are already several recorded) all of the infected are of the slow type, mercifully for the defenders who were hard pressed by the use of the use these bacteriological terrors. In some very rare cases the same strain can cause a large disparity in the zombie produced; fast, slow, mindless, somewhat intelligent. All dependant on amount or type of infection,  time since exposure , combat experience in life or seemingly random. These types are most chaotic in nature and seem to be more associated with direct daemonic contamination rather than the germ-weapons used by chaos forces.

Spread: Despite wide held beliefs to the contrary. The manner of the infections spread is very varied. Many insist that the bite or scratch of a zombie is the cause of infection. And in many cases this is true either directly or indirectly. Usually either a specific disease (amongst others) is carried which weakens the carrier until death where they rise as zombies, alternatively there can be a warp based psychic corruption that is transmitted either by sorcery or by contact with the infected and it is this which raises the body when the unfortunate dies by any means.
The best example of this is Imperial held war world of Samedi, where any creature dies rises as zombie. Even if it is a single disease that is the cause of the infection, it has been witnessed to be  one of a vast number of types of disease, some airborne, others transmitted by contact or bodily fluid exchange.

Containment: Although, as I have noted the methods of spread are varied I advise you seek to contain any outbreaks with extreme prejudice. Time is invariably of the essence and until definite confirmation of the method of spread is confirmed you should protect your force troops from airborne toxin and purge the infected with fire. For those troops that might have been exposed, unless the threat of expression can be immediately diagnosed they should be treated as the enemy.

Standard Threat Classification: Malleus Majoris

#3 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Chapter 2, Furor Sanguine

Less well known, is a blood born virus that can turn even the meekest human into ravening savage creature bent on the murder of all right thinking humans they encounter.
Our best case study in this phenomenon was on the wretched hive world of Bucella, here a group of cultists had found the axe of a long vanquished champion of the ruinous powers. Those touching the axe would soon be overcome with an uncontrollable frenzy attacking friend and foe alike, they also noticed that if they put in a container with water then that water would turn the colour of blood. Those ingesting this 'blood' or getting it a lesion on their own body would again turn become unstoppably murderous. They used secretly introduced the mixture into several water sources and caused widespread chaos and massive casualties in the hive.  The fact that this is a blood borne infection and it's obvious effects  has a direct link to the ruinous power that is the blood god Khorne.  In addition these out breaks are often spread by cultists dedicated to this power and in other cases outbreaks occur prior to an invasion by its followers even though there is not been a direct link between the two.

Identification: Those affected by what is colloquially known as the blood rage become a ravening monster. They begin to weep blood from the eyes, ears, mouth, ears and fingernails they will attack anything they can catch with no regard for their own safety. Although those subjects captured were shown to show bio-signs. They do seem to react to attacks in the normal way for a human but they have no regard for pain, if indeed they can feel it, often crawling towards their prey after limbs were badly damaged. And while they do not possess any supernatural strength they use their full power without regard for their own safety which can make women and even children capable of overpowering an adult man.
The infection it's self seems to be a blood born virus of some kind that breaks down quickly on dry surfaces which makes identification difficult and treatment hard if not impossible.
It was noticed that they often used simple melee weapons, favouring spiked or bladed weapons that they would habitually use to cut and stab themselves.

Spread: The infected can spread the disease by co-sanguinary contact, often this is by being scratched or bitten by the infected. It was also noted that bladed and spiked weapons used by the infected often carried the infection due to the aforementioned habits.
However the spread of the virus can be extended hugely by purposeful cultists by contaminating water and food supplies. Poor and low tech areas are especially vulnerable to this as their water supplies are usually of a low enough purity as to hide the taint.
Finally it has been observed that some chaos forces, including some traitor marines loyal to Khorne, have used weapons poisoned with this 'blood'. It does not seem to be feasible to have melee weapons 'poisoned' in this way but some corrupted weapons seem to have the ability to cause them as in the case study above. It is more usually grenades and artillery shells as they have a good chance to injure many without killing them all.

Containment: Infected individuals need to the dispatched as soon as possible. Before they can spread infection. Loyal troops should have all complete covering from splashes and wear a filter mask at least. Troops need to be checked for wounds after every engagement and dealt with as necessary.
Cults spreading the virus need to be put down as soon as possible while remaining aware of their possible contamination points. As a last resort these cults will normally infect themselves and they will be prepared for vicious melee combat.

#4 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

So the former are shambling plague zombies and the latter are sprinting 28 Days Later zombies?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#5 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

Boss Gitsmasha said:

So the former are shambling plague zombies and the latter are sprinting 28 Days Later zombies?

Bingo 

To be honest the first entry doesn't add a lot, beyond maybe flavor text. And of course it;s a good start if we want to add very specific cases later. But I've got some good ideas (imho and only most of them 'inspired' by movies), I think the blood transmitted frenzy virus was way too Khorne to be missed out.

Originally I was of the opinion that any diseases or virus's were solely the domain of Nurgle but things like the Obliterator virus has convinced me otherwise.

Oh and for the next ones I'm working on, see if you can recognise where I got the idea from.

#6 vehzeel

vehzeel

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

Any idea of how to make "Slaneeshi" or "Tzeentchian" zombies? Maybe vampires are more in line with Slaanesh and werewolves/shapeshifters or mummies for Tzeentch?

#7 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

vehzeel said:

Any idea of how to make "Slaneeshi" or "Tzeentchian" zombies? Maybe vampires are more in line with Slaanesh and werewolves/shapeshifters or mummies for Tzeentch?

Hmm, I've got an idea for Tzeentchian one that is… a bit weird. It'll be posted soon. That's some good ideas though, and you might have given me an idea for some new ones, I'll might have to check my horror movies.

#8 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

Chapter 3, Eris Maddening

Of the diseases we have looked into this is possibly the most subtle and confounding. It acts not on the bodies of the infected but on the minds, sending them into a delusional madness. Such an action would be quite debilitating to a population normally but those affected are more than pitiful mad fools, they act in a confusingly concerted manner against the Holy establishment. Their delusions, although often different for each of the afflicted people, manages to manifest in some way that causes them to become dangerous dissidents. Since the recent case studies where it was identified it has cast doubt on some of previous causes of planet wide unrest that have been witenessed previously in the segmentum, but the nature of the disease may be being confused due to the prevalent branding of all heretics as insane when the observably insane go unnoticed.
On the Industrial world of Eris IV, in the Cadian sector in M39.687, a solar flare had massive effect on the technology of the planet, especially that which was used for transmissions or communication. Ill pict views, holo-vid players and vox casters seemed to be only capable of receiving a multi frequency static. Those listening or viewing this static seemed to be transfixed, those interviewed said they had seem images or heard messaged that could not be identified by the limited viewing that the Inquisition were able to do before their own acolytes were affected.
What little information could be deduced was that it was some kind of psychic virus caught from this static signal. Acolytes observed or listened to the signal in hexagramtically warded conditions and were not able to catch and distinct pictures, patterns or messages in the static. Unfortunately even the hexagram warding was not enough to prevent psy-infection indefinitely, when the observers started to report patterns they were already infected. The top level inquisition theorised that a Psychic Null may be able to observe it safely but there was none on the planet to test the theory. The Inquisition moved to prevent all use of technological communications devices but it was too late, most facilities could not be contacted and were likely already lost. Not only did the signal interrupt even unsecured wired technologies, in a similar way to EMP waves, but it also seemed to affect some connected cogitators which often re-broadcast the signal across networks that were not directly interrupted. Worse still, many servitors were constantly able to pick up these signals and went berserk immediately, the inquisition would have to destroy all of their own servitors but the hundreds of thousands over the whole planet would be the most dangerous threat until the last days of the calamity.
At first the effected were not obvious but they immediately started causing trouble, they started sabotaging vital logistic routes, roads, mag-rail, gating facilities were all targeted by lone or small groups of deluded individuals working towards insane plans. Worse though was that soon direct attacks on other citizens and Imperial personal began in earnest. Although these attacks were seemingly random they seemed to rarely happen to those infected, and tough most of them worked on their own or in small groups they acted as if they were part of a complicated and well-thought out battle plan. Numerous attempts to infiltrate a building held by a heretic group were thwarted by another individual or group setting a trap for flanking forces. Citizens would fight with no thought for their own safety, often committing suicide attacks.
As time went on the psy virus's effects become hugely pronounced, entire districts were overcome. Their savage mind controlled residents had formed into individual armies, walling themselves up in the district those that weren't effected, or only mildly effected working as miserable slaves to the rest. Savage servitors often going to work as normal when there wasn't unaffected people to kill. The spy virus also seemed to prompt or encourage the expression of psychic powers, many psykers forming warlords for bands of mad servants. Others still became completely possessed, hunting the dark parts of the city or fighting alongside the maddened humans. It became clear to the inquisition that this was the cause of daemonic forces, the commonly held theory was that the static signal itself allowed daemonic influence over the listeners or watchers.
It was only the fortunate placement of the garrisoned 123rd, 142nd and 166th Eris Dragoons that saved the planet from complete collapse. The inquisition was able to contact them via Astropath before they were more than handful of soldiers were badly effected and using the ancient back ups of flag and lamp signalling and secured wired voxes they were able to start fighting back, taking control of vital cities almost immediately. Still, it took nearly 5 months to passify the last of psy-virus afflicted and at the cost of over 54 million of the planets population.

Identification: Those only mildly, or recently afflicted are nearly impossible to distinguish from other humans around them. They might only show mild, paranoia, be often distracted, displaying minor character traits such as being overly tired, talking to themselves, irritable or uncomfortably. They often also (with good reason) try and hide this from Imperial authorities. However, one constant (perhaps the only one) is that they will try and expose themselves and others to the static signal.
Those that have been in after for long periods are quite different, dishevelled, malnourished, often with untreated wounds, daubed in cult symbol and gore from their victims. They are also likely to have mutations by this point and possession is widespread. They will still usually be capable of advanced tactics and effectively using ranged weapons unless their mutation and particular derangements mean that it is not possible. They will usually have formed into close nit groups between squad and company size with strict hierarchy, often with a psyker in command and possessed cultists and servitors in support.

Spread: While the classic and most dangerous examples, such as Eris IV, seem to be spread by a electromagnetic signal. Often seemingly resulting from a stellar phenomena, a passing comet or a cosmic radiation cloud or field (several ship wide infections have evidence of this), there are also accounts of some ancient books of sorcery effecting readers in the same way or some sorcerous incantations having a localised effect. Stellar phenomenon causing this have only ever been witnessed in the sectors around the eye of terror or near to a similar anomaly.

Containment: The important first step is stop the receipt of the anomalous transmission where possible but it will also interfere with unsecure cable based transmissions which is going to be far too wide spread to combat on any industrialised world. This will be difficult outside of immediate vicinity due to the limited communication options. After the events of Eris IV general Commissariat order 39 beta 52D was issued. After being initiated by the Inquisition it will force Commissars in the region to shut down technology that should be effected in their own spheres of influence and rely on more simple communication methods and isolate any effected individuals. Which should prevent the planets PDF and IG being to badly effected provided the message can be got to them in time. Then a planets power network should be isolate where possible and unsecured veiw and vox devices should be topped while attempting the destroy infected groups.

#9 vehzeel

vehzeel

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

So, The Signal, basically? www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/

#10 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

vehzeel said:

So, The Signal, basically? www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/

Exactly, I was dubious that anyone had seen that movie. And of course the early effects are also similar to the Crazies but thats got a much more standard virus style spread as it implies it's a government bio-weapon, hmmm.

Of course it's go the added sci-fi issues of effecting technology like a computer virus too (although fortunately not's not present in the Imperium, although if a bunch of tarantula turrets or other automated guns) but also servitors, which are everywhere. Which is like something in the RPG Eclipse Phase I guess.

#11 vehzeel

vehzeel

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

Slaanesh zombies: how about they have some sort of aura that make humans actually WANT to be eaten? Slaanesh, extreme sensations, perversions and all that. The urge can be resisted with WP rolls. Maybe it shouldn't be too hard for PCs to resist, but as a GM you can scare the players when you describe uninfected humans breaking cover, making their way TOWARDS the zombies, letting themselves be consumed while letting out ecstatic screams

#12 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'd think that a Slaaneshi zombies would have a slight heirarchy- the victims are addicted to Subject Zero (either by sex, psychic presence, bodily fluid exchange, perhaps a combination of those).

Subject Zero is addicted to human flesh, and needs Thralls to bring it meat.  The Thralls are in turn addicted to Subject Zero, and if they serve their master, they can become Thrall-Makers as well.

#13 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Chapter 4, The Strigoi Lords

It is difficult to determine where the Strigoi virus originated but it's distribution suggests somewhere in the Segmentum Obscurus. I would perhaps be naïve if I did not at least acknowledge the Eye of Terror as the likely source but as it seems to be linked that foul ruinous power that is Slannesh (among the Strigoi mutations associated with the power often develop and outright worship is common).
Our most notable case is from the great crusades at the very begging of the Imperium. As such the records are incomplete but telling. When the Explorators discovered the Carpathia sector it was found that many worlds were feudal hell-holes with Strigoi Kings, Lords and Knights presiding in ancient palaces.  Meanwhile the human populations, that weren't chosen to serve in the Strigoi armies were toiling in hideous conditions with the constant threat of being dragged away to serve as food for their Strigoi masters. These Strigoi fostered the idea that they were gods to these miss begotten humans so their  troops were fanatical.

When the Imperial Army landed on the worlds they initially faced heavy resistance, but with their large numbers they were able to push back the Strigoi forces. However every night the Strigoi themselves would descend on the Emperors men causing huge casualties and sowing fear. It wasn't long into the campaign before the advance slowed to a crawl. Troops would not advance during the day for fear of being caught in the open at night.
It was then that the first Legion arrived in the sector having been diverted to deal with this unholy threat. And deal they did, taking world after world in horrendously bloody battle. The battle between The Lion and Ancient Eldar Strigoi high King in his seat on the world of Walachia is the stuff  of legend itself but the Inquisition has tried it's best to hide details of this campaign against such dark forces. Especially as many of the Strigoi fled in gothic star ships rather than face their end at the Dark Angels hands and it is rumoured that they and their descendants still haunt the Imperium but now having faced their enemy their tactics have changed to one that was more subtle and insidious.

Identification: The Strigoi, although initially indistinguishable from the rest of humanity eventually become quite different. With pale skin and pointed ears, wide reflective eyes and vicious pointed teeth and claws. Although they are undoubtedly undead, hearts and pulse disappearing completely, they are as faster and stronger than they were in life and their bodies regenerate damage rather than ignore it. They are also normally sensitive to direct sunlight and sort to draw the enemy into dark labyrinths or attack at night.

They seem to draw power from eating human flesh or drinking blood. The more consume the stronger they get and the faster they regenerate, while there wound's seem to stay open and they seem weak if deprived of blood and flesh. But while they can obtain blood they are essentially immortal.

There obvious appearance however, cannot be relied upon for many of the elder Strigois become adept a sorcery. Often able to maintain the appearance of normality, usually staggeringly beautiful versions of what they once were, as well many other powers, including those to read, cloud or control minds.

It is worth noting that there are a number of creatures with similiar attributes, including that heinous warp denizen the 'Vampire' although that is far more powerful and the Strigoi seem to spread their virus by bite, the Strgoi go to great pains to murder their victims so that they do not rise as vengeful and potentially powerful Strigoi themselves.

Spread: Unlike the other diseases the Strigoi virus is not easy to spread but the immortality, the eternal youth, vigor, strength and speed are all so seductive that many humans willingly seek to become the Strigoi. Often swearing fealty in the hope that one they are rewarded with this cursed existence.
Even with those Strigoi becoming notoriously paranoid, often more fearful of their own offspring than anything else and creating new Strigoi only rarely, they often have many other options with great wealth, slaves, and personal favour or that of the ruinous powers. Thus they often become synonymous with Slaneeshi cults.

Containment:  The Strigoi hide behind a large number of human troops. Many of these would be fearful conscripts but their leadership and elite units are often highly motivated, with great riches, slaves and the promise of becoming a Strigoi or the favour of dark gods. These troops must be engaged with powerful forces but it is always important to remember that the elder Strigoi are the key, without it's head the body cannot survive. Be wary though when pressed you may find that entire units are newly made Strigoi to make a desperate last stand. But after such a victory all effort must be made to hunt down the younger Strigoi who are both very dangerous and have the capability to regain control of the region in the future.

#14 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Chapter 5, Dagon Mind Slave Grubs

Although this seems to be one of many such events the case on Castobel in the Jericho reach is a rare example of one that is well documented.
After the appearance of Hive fleet Dagon and subsequent wars, the murder rate in the Castobel hives rose by over 2500%. To compound the problem there didn't seem to be any overiding pattern to the crimes, or motive. Gang activity rose during the period but not enough to cover a fraction of the murders and their didn't seem to be any major civil unrest to speak of, for the most part the populous were unaware of the events unfolding spin-ward of the planet. The worlds Enforcers and Arbites were completely overwhelmed and unable to cope with the sudden deluge of murder.

One, seemingly unconnected, phenomena was noticed by the population. A hitherto unknown reclusive flying bug had been seen hiding in the depths of the hive. This had been largely ignored until inquisitorial autopsy of a murder suspect revealed a large larvae like bug in the criminals brain. The hitherto unknown bug was later found to be the larval stage of the flying insect like tyranid organism that was found throughout the hive.
This organism was injecting eggs into head and neck of the victims, usually unnoticed and eventually affecting the brain of the host giving them an overwhelming urge to murder people. Although they were still concerned for their own safety so they had either joined, or become more active in, violent gangs or killed in secretly or with sabotage.

It was only when the planet came under direct attack that the full impact of the infestation was felt. The infected victims which until now were merely killing and and attempting to evade detection became savage creatures attacking soldiers and civilians brazenly in large groups. In spite of their savagery and lack of regard for their own well-being they were capable of using any weapons they had effectively, prioritising targets and engaging in coordinated battle plans. The mind slaves caused massive casualties and disruption inside the hive. Fortunately the desperate Imperial pushed the hive fleets forces back from the hive not a moment too soon as the mind slaves had overrun the Enforcers and Arbites inside the hive.

Identification: The infected individuals are difficult to distinguish early on in the life cycle the infected individuals; the wound from the bug lasts only a few days. In some ways it is reliant on the methods you would have learned to spot heretical cultists such as changes in behaviour, temperament, habits, tiredness, reduced cleanliness and becoming socially reclusive may all indicators that a person has been taken by the over by the compulsion to murder. Locating and tracking the effected persons in vital at the early stage as often the nest of bugs would be located close to where they live or work.

When the infection reaches the later stages it is more pronounced with open wounds on the head and neck, bleeding from the mouth, speech impediments, almost total sleep loss and often secondary infections due to the open wounds. Although victims will attempt to hide this and the most common victims are likely to naturally contract diseases with similar effects no quarter should be given but be careful of following false leads. In the event that Tyranid synapse creatures should happen by to allow the Hive mind direct control over the infected then identification should be obvious but this is likely to be too late.

While intensive auspex may pick up the parasitic larvae this is obviously not a practical option for wide scale usage. On the subject is should be clearly noted that in the cases currently identified dissections of long term hosts revealed genetic tampering. Enlarged adrenal glands, strengthened muscle, bones and other physiological abnormalities have been discovered. It is clear that along with the mind control other changes are made by the hive mind to make their mind-slaves more dangerous. This is similar to the bio-morphs seen in the other Tyranid organisms and with that in mind, although one assumes these would normally be fairly discrete it weighs heavily on me as to what the hive mind would do to their hapless victims in the future.

Spread: This bug organism injects eggs into head and neck of the victims, often while they are sleeping and usually unnoticed. When the eggs hatch the larval form of the organism borrows into the brain. Several of the larva extend a tendrils throughout the brain which effect the behaviour of the victim. The other eggs become larva and feed on flesh and blood inside the hosts head and neck, usually painfully and often forming obvious blisters. This continues until such a time that they are ready to become their 'adult stage'. These adult forms either burst from the neck or head of the victim or into the victims throat where they are coughed up. These adults can immediately infect future victims and they can feed on detritus for long periods, often spreading long distances but seemingly attracted to human habitation and transit.

Containment: Attacking both life cycles of the creature is of paramount importance. While the bug phase is the most obvious the logistical challenge in a hive or even a large city is clearly next to impossible. They do not need to nest as a group and are resistant to all standard toxins therefore large scale mobilisation with flame tools is as close and answer as there is.

In addition the larval phase must be treated, even destroying every bug in a city is futile when implanted larvae mature and spread again. Be sure to have all criminals checked by the authorities and any carriers having their hab and work zones checked for bugs as well they themselves being dealt with. In suspect areas have workers checked by their overseers and imperial personal checked by their medicae staff.
Even with the most stringent checks there for a hive there will such large swathes that cannot be checked in the under hive that it may linger for decades with quarantine protocols in place.

Standard Threat Classification: Xenos Majoris

#15 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Chapter 6, The Cursed Bones of Hydra

In M36.811 the merchant vessel Ward of Persephone drifting dead in space just Rimward of the Calixis sector after being lost for over 200years. It was brought to the attention of Battlefleet Calixis and they sent the Battlecruiser Banner of Angevin whose armsmen boarded the vessel to investigate and salvage it.

The reports from the Ward were that the vessel seemed completely dead and decayed. Even the bulkheads were worn and pitted as if it was thousands of years old or attacked with acid and all furnishings were wrecked and tattered. The thousands of crew were little more than skeletal remains draped in the tattered rags of their uniforms. Some teams reached the bridge and engineering sections and worked to obtain the logs and restart some systems. As soon as they re-established partial power and grav-plate control the literally skeleton crew of the Ward of Persephone began to move. They attacked the boarding parties savagely with ancient shotguns, cutlasses and blunt tools. They moved quickly and with purpose and killed or wounded most of the boarding party and forced them to retreat to the Banner of Angevin.

It was on the Banner that the second phase of the battle took place as the wounded troops were themselves overcome and started attacking those that had rescued them. Large sections of the ship and hundreds of crew were lost. Were it not for the infamous elite Navel Armsmen of the ship and the rigorously drilled crew the entire Battlecruiser would have undoubtedly been lost. Eventually all of the infected were crushed, each body being smashed to pieces as even when dismembered the infected would keep going and even drag themselves back together.

After this they had a desperate counter-attack plan. They used the vast arsenal of the Banner of Angevin to utterly destroy the Ward of Persephone. This is a costly decision that was not taken lightly but there was just not enough force left on the Banner to capture the vessel and the level of damage of the vessel would limit it's profitability as salvage.

The obtained logs last entries was that it had encountered a Mechanicus Explorator vessel, the Deimos Syntax and had lost it's crew after attempted salvage operation. The Deimos Syntax was last recorded being sent to investigate ancient ruins in the Hydra Subsector and it would seem that it was still floating around their and if they had obtained this 'curse' from some of the ruins of the region then those ruins remain dangerous and unknown.

Identification: From our previous the first signs of contamination are darkened patches around any open wounds from then it is a matter of minutes before the contaminated victim dies, gauss radiation begins being emitted and the victim begins to move against their previous comrades. The victims at this stage seem to have a glow to their eyes.

Eventually the body can rot to point of being entirely skeletal and still be attacking people. At this point the identification should be obvious but none the less disturbing to behold. It is possible to see slight glowing between the skeletal joints and fine, but incredible resistant circuit fibres across the bones.

Spread: The infection seems to be carried by some kind of heretical nano-scarabs which build the aforementioned gauss circuitry in the victim. It seems that the nano-scarabs can infect people attacked by their previous hosts, either by clustering on their weapons and teeth or by actively travelling into the victims wounds. It has been theorised that were the forces that had encountered the terrors not void suits the infection might have entered victims via their eyes, mouth and nose). Beyond this there is precious little we know as our previous encounter is the only known case, any samples we took seemed to break down before we could study them (even though they had been in the vessel for hundreds of years previously).

Containment: Only complete dismemberment will stop those infected. Use explosives, axes, hammers and copious shotgun shells and heavy weapons. They should also be treated as a biochem risk and full precautions need to be taken during any encounters. I conclude that any likely vessels found in the entire sector be checked carefully for suspect activity and any boarding actions reconsidered or undertaken with extreme prejudice.

Standard Threat Classification: Xenos Majoris

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS